Louisville's Museum Plaza in this week's Observer

The Charlotte Observer couldn't come up with a "next big thing" article this week, so they included an article about some new towers being built around the world and how designs are breaking out of the norm (what, they haven't been paying attention?).

One of the projects mentioned was Louisville's Musuem Plaza, the 61 story three headed hydra being proposed to contain condos, offices, and a museum.

I'm curious as to what your opinions of it are. I cannot get over the fact that they are actually thinking of building this. I can't think of a more dehumanizing, monolithic scale than to float a 50,000 square foot museum 200' over your head. Every rendering I've seen makes it look inaccessible, remote, and fortress like.

Any thoughts?

060217oma2.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not my favorite design although I am a big fan of atypical architecture. I prefer the more stylish post modern looks of Singapore, Dubai and Bejing's modern skyscrapers. Asian skyscrapers seem to have a certain eloquent style that appeals to me unlike most US skyscrapers. BTW, has Wachovia released plans for their newest tower? I try to stay on top of the Charlotte business world but sometimes things get by me. :huh:

something funny about mueum plaza, its only 340 million dollars compared to wachovia's 1st street complex which is going to be 800+ million, interesting.

How is something that is such a engineering feat only 340million dollars? Our future big box Wachovia HQ is 800 million, how does that work out, wachovia is 2 towers, museum plaza is basically 5.

this thing is not my favorite... especially sticking out in louisville. if this were amongst the legions of towers in nyc, i think it would make much more sense. i hate that kickstand-for-a-leg thingy. but i am excited to see the effects of looking @ good art in that high altitude.

How is something that is such a engineering feat only 340million dollars? Our future big box Wachovia HQ is 800 million, how does that work out, wachovia is 2 towers, museum plaza is basically 5.

There are a lot of efficiencies in its design in terms of materials and consistent layouts and dimensions for all the floors of each component.

Personally, I love the design and the concept. Louisville has been starving for something bold, and this will certainly make a statement.

It's bold.

Also, I hope the project attracts more development around it, since it will initially be sort of out there on it's own.

That's not true at all. Have you ever been to Louisville? It is located within our museum district and there are several upscale restaurants and boutiques within walking distance. It is basically in the middle of downtown!

It's bold.

Also, I hope the project attracts more development around it, since it will initially be sort of out there on it's own.

An animated video actually shows that the tower will be closer to street-level activity than its future position in the skyline would indicate. But as far as mid- to high-rise companions, there aren't many in the vicinity.

At least in the printed version of the Observer, there were other designs that I really liked that would look good in Charlotte. The problem with most skyscraper design is there is too much focus on "look" from a distance, but almost no thought on the effects at street level. BofA is a classic example of a stunning building that is dead from a people perspective. Someone said in another section on this forum in regards to skyscrapers... On the street would you rather have an intimate place, or worship of a distance object?

I like the idea of this building, but I don't think that the materials used are a good choice to show contrast of the towers. The "kickstand" does look pretty bad, they may want to change this design. Maybe an all glass tube-style elevator shaft which would be much more "artistic" and wouldn't stick out literally like a sore thumb.

As much as Louisville deserves an iconic tower, this doesn't need to be it. While it would be built downtown, it wouldn't blend well with any skyline if there isn't a good proximity to any high/mid-rises. This definately belongs in Chicago or NYC. This style tower would either destroy the grace or become the defining structure of any other skyline in the US.

Archived