Pantlind Hotel and Ledyard Bldg Renovations

sparky05

According to today's Grand Rapids Press, the old section (the Pantlind) of the Grand Plaza Hotel is being restored to its original 1913 appearance. As part of that process, they've uncovered the original lettering over the Monroe entrance, which was covered up with concrete slabs in the 1970s.

I snapped these photos this afternoon:

152637212_b367eee98b.jpg

152637174_2eb11186d4.jpg

152637199_9bd66593db.jpg

Considering all the work that they've done in the past year on the Monroe side of the building, does this mean we're getting close to completing the restoration of the original facade, or is there more work to be done?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to today's Grand Rapids Press, the old section (the Pantlind) of the Grand Plaza Hotel is being restored to its original 1913 appearance. As part of that process, they've uncovered the original lettering over the Monroe entrance, which was covered up with concrete slabs in the 1970s.

Considering all the work that they've done in the past year on the Monroe side of the building, does this mean we're getting close to completing the restoration of the original facade, or is there more work to be done?

It would be interesting to compare some original Pantlind hotel photos with the current pics. I think that it's pretty close to the original facade already though.

I think this is great! I've seen them working on the facade these past couple of weeks, but didn't know what they were doing.

Anyone else feel like every corner of downtown is undergoing some kind of facelift now. It's unbelieveable, and has to be the biggest construction/renovation boom we've ever seen.

I think that many people are starting to realize the mistakes of the past and trying to preserve, renovate, update, and enhance the community. A lot of this has been in the process over the past several years and has just built up momentum. Just think of how amazing it could be in 10 years if this direction and pace continues.

Anyone else feel like every corner of downtown is undergoing some kind of facelift now. It's unbelieveable, and has to be the biggest construction/renovation boom we've ever seen.

I feel the same...everyone is going crazy to upgrade to a classier look.

We should make a list of buildings we still want to keep (obvious excludes such as the PO, Press building) but that could stand a remodel or upgrade. We'll say in the general downtown area. I am sure there are several buildings left but they are becoming less and less.

Probably most of them that need attention belong to Azar...

They were removing the green canvas awnings from the Ledyard Building today too. I don't know if they are being replaced or removed for good, but the storefronts look great without them. The windows are huge.
I saw a bunch of guys carrying one of those awnings around to the back while I was on my way back from snapping some pics of the Marriott. I'll have to walk around front and see what the Ledyard looks like without them.

Based on the condition of the awning I saw, they could at least use a good cleaning...

I saw a bunch of guys carrying one of those awnings around to the back while I was on my way back from snapping some pics of the Marriott. I'll have to walk around front and see what the Ledyard looks like without them.

Based on the condition of the awning I saw, they could at least use a good cleaning...

The storefront awnings are gone but the ones at the entrances remain.

All spaces were covered with the same size awning, so you can see how much glass has been exposed by removing them.

153007563_e57377eb01.jpg

All spaces were covered with the same size awning, so you can see how much glass has been exposed by removing them.

Wow! It looks like the Blodgett Block on Ionia now. I wonder if they are going to leave them off?

I also noticed that the awnings on the Trust Building across the street are badly in need of replacing. The ones over by the Sundance Grill are disgusting. :sick: Makes me NOT want to eat there.

Wow! It looks like the Blodgett Block on Ionia now. I wonder if they are going to leave them off?

If they are going to replace the sidewalk there, they may have taken them down to give more room to work.

Regardless, it looks better this way. They should keep them down.

153007563_e57377eb01.jpg

Excellent... the awnings inhibited my eyes from seeing the crispness and defined edges of the lower floors. It gives the building more of a base for the arches and crowning. I like this exposure much better. Great pic by the way.

Based on this photo...

153112449_71dfccf859.jpg

I'd say there's a pretty good chance that the awnings are gone for good.

Oh, and on the original topic of the thread, they're working on the pantlind letters again, chipping away to clean them up.

153112929_1166017a39.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived