Pantlind Hotel and Ledyard Bldg Renovations

sparky05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These fences have been here for awhile, but haven't had a chance to catch em until today. It sure will be nice to see new walks and trees along here. Has anyone seen any renderings?

They peeled off the bituminous that was placed over the sidewalk to seal the areaways and found the structural slab to be a concern. I imagine the lack of activity for the last few days is the result of a rethinking of the surface treatment.

Progressive is doing the streetscape. Maybe someone here knows someone there..... :D

Are trees really going to be planted on this part of Ottawa?

What about the building across the street, next to the Penn Club?

I thought someone said it was getting a face lift as well.

Maybe they are planning on doing both sides of the streetscape with trees and such. On the block further North they have already done the work there and it looks nice. Hopefully they are just continuing down the street until the hit Monroe Center and the new Art Museum.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they will renovate the Exhibitors Building once the J.W. opens. I was there last week and it is in a sad state. Looks like it hasn't changed a lick since they opened the Amway Grand.

The pics on the walls of the history of the Pantlind/Amway Grand are cool though.

I'd be pretty disappointed if I came to town and rented meeting space in this section of the hotel...

Joe

• 1 month later...

The sidewalk is almost complete. Some guy walking by said something to me about "taking a picture of concrete drying is almost as good as watching concrete dry". :lol:

322434699_9101730924_b.jpg

322434705_8825387e6d_b.jpg

There was no way to fill in the areaways under the sidewalks, so no street trees in this area. :(

I really like the new colors though:

322434711_d8c8b5cc95.jpg

322434718_7138810014_b.jpg

322434721_8b65ce7bef_b.jpg

322437669_f5a94ffec0_b.jpg

322437671_aae654844c_b.jpg

Wow! What a difference. I like the festive planter that the new flower shop has out.

In case anyone forgot what the old sidewalk (used loosely) looked like, here it was. It wasn't even concrete, it was poorly laid asphalt who knows how old. And those canopies. :sick:

139936261_0c1fe10913_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The tired old canopies over the doorways on Ledyard are gone now, and replaced with these funky industrial boxes. I would have gone with a heavier gauge and shorter chain that holds them up though. :whistling: They've also replaced the doors, which look sharp. It's too bad they weren't able to plant trees in the sidewalks (problems with the areaway below apparently). Maybe some large planters would break it up a little? I also think the businesses there should be allowed to hang some "shingle" style signs out from the wall too, like they're now allowing everywhere else essentially.

473494953_87af854f62_b.jpg

473494955_f5ff861279_b.jpg

473494965_a047755c58_b.jpg

The tired old canopies over the doorways on Ledyard are gone now, and replaced with these funky industrial boxes. I would have gone with a heavier gauge and shorter chain that holds them up though. :whistling: They've also replaced the doors, which look sharp. It's too bad they weren't able to plant trees in the sidewalks (problems with the areaway below apparently). Maybe some large planters would break it up a little? I also think the businesses there should be allowed to hang some "shingle" style signs out from the wall too, like they're now allowing everywhere else essentially.

No, I missed those. Near which entrance are they?

I sketched up what hanging signs would "sort of" look like. I think it adds a little excitement to the streetscape (?). In addition, you have to be almost RIGHT in front of the business to see their sign, and you have to look "up", when your line of sight is more toward the window display. This would give more exposure for the businesses IMO.

Archived