Pantlind Hotel and Ledyard Bldg Renovations

sparky05

They can't plant street trees because of all the utility work under the street in that area, I think. I wonder if that also rules out the large planters with trees in them, like what is along Monroe Center? Maybe the sidewalk isn't wide enough for that. All of these improvements look really nice. The new sidewalk is a lot better then the old asphalt that was there before.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know if this rains on your sign parade or not (love the photos by the way), but the only question I have is why does the city have to make everything so complicated. These proposed changes to the sign ordinance sound a little over the top. Cool city my arse.

"It would ban pole signs and lighted awning signs in traditional business districts. The new rules also would prohibit a business from displaying more than three flags and ban exterior string lights except 60 days before recognized national holidays.

Don't know if this rains on your sign parade or not (love the photos by the way), but the only question I have is why does the city have to make everything so complicated. These proposed changes to the sign ordinance sound a little over the top. Cool city my arse.

"It would ban pole signs and lighted awning signs in traditional business districts. The new rules also would prohibit a business from displaying more than three flags and ban exterior string lights except 60 days before recognized national holidays.

Interior window signs would be allowed to block no more than 25 percent of a store window. Portable signs could be used only three times a year and limited to 30 days for each use. "

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Pole signs are banned in "traditional business districts" (e.g. Eastown) because they ugly up the streetscape. Sounds like a good idea to me. The only parts I wonder about are the 3 times a year limit on portable signs, and only 30 days. There must be a reason for it, but I dont know what it is.

The one thing I really oppose is no exterior string lights except around holiday season. If done correctly, I think string lights can look really cool and inviting any time of the year. Too many regulations, while may be needed to keep an area from looking junky, can also keep creativity squashed.

Pole signs are banned in "traditional business districts" (e.g. Eastown) because they ugly up the streetscape. Sounds like a good idea to me. The only parts I wonder about are the 3 times a year limit on portable signs, and only 30 days. There must be a reason for it, but I dont know what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived