Toohey's Trolleys Begin Service Downtown

Student

Owned by Tom Toohey, Toohey's trolleys transport visitors between the Georgia Aquarium and Underground Atlanta.

The buses resemble vintage trolley cars, and drivers, also known as conductors, will point out landmarks and discuss local history during the trip. The trolleys run every 10 to 15 minutes and cost $1.50 one way.

FARES

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I've only seen empty trolley buses.

I've also yet to see a single person on the MARTA transit loop bus, though I must admit I've only been close enough to see in the windows twice. I think it will take time for any tourist bus to get known by the public and used. Hopefully the two won't divide the market between them to the point where neither gets enough business to keep the route.

I've seen a couple of people on the trolleys (this afternoon, as a matter of fact). It will probably take a while to catch on. The Toohey's current route seems kinda small to me, though...it's not exactly a challenge to walk it unless you're elderly or dragging kids along.

I've seen a couple of people on the trolleys (this afternoon, as a matter of fact). It will probably take a while to catch on. The Toohey's current route seems kinda small to me, though...it's not exactly a challenge to walk it unless you're elderly or dragging kids along.

Is this aimed at tourists or at people who live and/or work downtown?

Tourists Andrea, along with 100.

Real Atlantans don't take the bus as you know...

:lol:

True, Brad, I've known people who will drive from one end of the mall to the other.

Maybe we should forget about all this BRT and just bring back the Pink Pig -- we could start with a line from Acworth to Garnett Street, and build it up as demand increases.

:lol:

True, Brad, I've known people who will drive from one end of the mall to the other.

Maybe we should forget about all this BRT and just bring back the Pink Pig -- we could start with a line from Acworth to Garnett Street, and build it up as demand increases.

:rofl:

PPRT would utterly revolutionize the way Atlantans approach public transportation!

:rofl:

PPRT would utterly revolutionize the way Atlantans approach public transportation!

There are actually a lot of advantages to PPRT. The infrastructure goes up fast -- they used to put the whole thing up in a few days. It's also lightweight, which would make it easy to serve many older neighborhoods without leaving a huge construction footprint. It's environmentally friendly, compact and flexible enough to meet changing developmental patterns.

The best thing about PPRT, of course, is its distinctive good looks. San Francisco has its cable cars, London has the Tube, but only Atlanta would have the Pig. I can easily imagine countless thousands of Atlantans settling into sleek PPRT modules each morning and zipping off to work.

ad.jpg

There are actually a lot of advantages to PPRT. The infrastructure goes up fast -- they used to put the whole thing up in a few days. It's also lightweight, which would make it easy to serve many older neighborhoods without leaving a huge construction footprint. It's environmentally friendly, compact and flexible enough to meet changing developmental patterns.

The best thing about PPRT, of course, is its distinctive good looks. San Francisco has its cable cars, London has the Tube, but only Atlanta would have the Pig. I can easily imagine countless thousands of Atlantans settling into sleek PPRT modules each morning and zipping off to work.

ad.jpg

LOL!!! That is priceless, Andrea.

ad.jpg

It's the latest revolution in transit! Were any pigs hurt in the process? ;)

Priceless.

Archived