Discussion: Birmingham's Progress and Sustainability

kayman

I, too, have found Birmingham's city center to be - well - boring at times. I've even taken a look at other cities to see how they have incorporated fountains (e.g. Kansas City) and other elements to "liven up" an area. As for the roundabouts - I think the west side of downtown and the Railroad Park District (i.e. Midtown) would be ideal places for them. There isn't much traffic and those areas aren't heavily populated so disruptions would be minimal. Not too mention, the additions would serve as a nice catalyst for those sections as well as a nice tie-in to the more established areas such as the CBD and Southside.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I, too, have found Birmingham's city center to be - well - boring at times. I've even taken a look at other cities to see how they have incorporated fountains (e.g. Kansas City) and other elements to "liven up" an area. As for the roundabouts - I think the west side of downtown and the Railroad Park District (i.e. Midtown) would be ideal places for them. There isn't much traffic and those areas aren't heavily populated so disruptions would be minimal. Not too mention, the additions would serve as a nice catalyst for those sections as well as a nice tie-in to the more established areas such as the CBD and Southside.

It is a great example to follow. Statues, plazas, fountains, squares, etc... those are all things that make a great downtown. It's always nice to have a fountain in the downtown area, it makes it seem cooler on a hot day, they're just refreshing to look at.

As my memory serves me there's a fountain in Linn Park and I think there is one in front of Harbert. I need to take a walk tomorrow and see if I can

A) Verify if these fountains do exist or if I just have faulty memory.

B) If there are any other fountains around Downtown.

C) Where some good spots might be for water features.

I'll try and take the camera with me.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The Greater Birmingham Regional Planning Commission sees growth, but mainly in Shelby County

The planners at the RPC has completed a long-range study that has projected that Shelby County will likely accelerate in growth by 85% by 2035. However, this same study also predicts that Jefferson County will only grow by 2.3%. The general consensus of the study has pointed to the problems such as the sewer debt, politics, and topography as impediments to Jeffco's future growth. Shelby has lower taxes (sales, property, and income), cheaper and more developable land to better schools as compared to Jeffco, so it will likely to continue to benefit. Shelby is predicted to be 317,000 by 2035, while Jefferson will go back to its 1990's range of 670,000. Basically, Jefferson County populuation has basically plateaued.

However, RPC planner Darrell Howard did point to the possibility of Jefferson County possibly increasing its growth through tax incentives by revitalizing inner-city areas like Atlanta. He also points to the increase in fuel prices may help Jeffco and Birmingham because more people will be more likely to want to live closer to their jobs.

The Greater Birmingham Regional Planning Commission sees growth, but mainly in Shelby County

The planners at the RPC has completed a long-range study that has projected that Shelby County will likely accelerate in growth by 85% by 2035. However, this same study also predicts that Jefferson County will only grow by 2.3%. The general consensus of the study has pointed to the problems such as the sewer debt, politics, and topography as impediments to Jeffco's future growth. Shelby has lower taxes (sales, property, and income), cheaper and more developable land to better schools as compared to Jeffco, so it will likely to continue to benefit. Shelby is predicted to be 317,000 by 2035, while Jefferson will go back to its 1990's range of 670,000. Basically, Jefferson County populuation has basically plateaued.

However, RPC planner Darrell Howard did point to the possibility of Jefferson County possibly increasing its growth through tax incentives by revitalizing inner-city areas like Atlanta. He also points to the increase in fuel prices may help Jeffco and Birmingham because more people will be more likely to want to live closer to their jobs.

• 3 months later...

A new nation, a new block: Flags, bunting signs of times

This is story is another sign that there are still a number of enterpeneurs that are making strides to revitalize Birmingham with their business along 2nd Avenue South between 23rd and 24th Streets. There also seems to be that a few more business are moving to the area to bring life back to the City Center. These types of stories does give me hope and inspiration that if we keep fighting that Birmingham will make a comeback. :)

lol - spoiled on montgomery, perhaps?

there's a wall cascade fountain next to zoe's restaurant downtown. i like it because it borders the sidewalk and is an easily accessible amenity that invites lingering (as opposed to setback focal-point fountains that serve, rather, as mini-destinations - a fine thing, but ubiquitous).

has anything further been projected on committing to the conversion of some of the one-way streets to bidirectional?

and speaking of commitment, is anyone else beginning to suspect that the railroad reservation park is poised to become an always-in-the-future carrot dangling in front of our optimistic noses? any word on earnest contruction instead of periodic ceremonial milestones involving gold shovels, ribbon, elected officials and the press?

A massive cleanup by the Birmingham Public Works of the Collegeville today. The work was long overdue considering many lots in that community have not be cut or clean off in nearly 2 decades. The work is part of the proposed revitalization of the area of Collegeville.

• 2 weeks later...
lol - spoiled on montgomery, perhaps?

and speaking of commitment, is anyone else beginning to suspect that the railroad reservation park is poised to become an always-in-the-future carrot dangling in front of our optimistic noses? any word on earnest contruction instead of periodic ceremonial milestones involving gold shovels, ribbon, elected officials and the press?

• 8 months later...

Tracy Morant Adams, the head of Birmingham Department of Economic Development, has laid out a plan to lure more grocery and drug stores to the City. According to Adams, the city is home to 24 grocery stores, but most of them are located in the Southern and Eastern portions. She hopes that after attending the International Council of Shopping Center annual convention that she can lure some more stores to the city's other portions. She wants to use the fact that city has retained and created 8,000 new jobs in the past year and planning to invest nearly $1B in projects across the city.

Friends,

William Williams from Nashville here. I visited Birmingham this past Wednesday and Thursday. Had a great time.

For a quick breakdown on my thoughts regarding some specifics of the Ham's manmade form, check here:

http://williamwilliamsfreelancewriter.blogspot.com/

Here's a quick breakdown of my stay:

Arrived at about noon Wednesday and made a quick stop at the Visitors Bureau to say "thanks" for the recommendations.

Checked into the luxurious Hospitality Inn and then walked to The Purple Onion for a falafel pita that was excellent. After that, I visited Charlemagne and met the owner. Nice lady. Then I met James Skinner, the president of the Five Points Merchants Association, at the 5Pts. fountain. Afterward, I visited Renaissance Records. Very cool. Then I hopped on the blue line DART Circulator. Got off at Morris and quickly checked the Peanut Depot. Classic. Then visited Urban Standard and lingered for about an hour. Great vibe and coffee. Briefly checked What's On Second. Met the owner. Nice man. Then I walked to the Alabama Theatre. Couldn't get in. Beautiful building. Walked through Kelly Ingram Park to the Civil Rights Institute (just to see the building; it's huge) and the 16th Street Baptist Church. Humbling. Then I walked back to 20th and caught the blue line back to the hotel. Drove to Vulcan Park (it was about 6 p.m. at this time) and went up to the observation deck. STUNNING view. Loved it. Then drove Clairmont to see Naked Art (closed). Walked inside Silvertron Diner. Looked cool. Drove back to motel and decided to eat at Kohinoor, the Indian join on 20th. Really enjoyed. I recommend. Then downed a tasty Good People beer at Dave's.

The next morning I rose early and hit Lucy's coffee shop at Eighth and 20th. Great vibe. From there, I drove to downtown Homewood and had coffee at O'Henry's. A very nice "village vibe." Then I drove though Mountain Brook's village (the roundabout), past the zoo and through English Village. From there, I drove through the various small parks (Ruston, Caldwell, Rhodes) and marveled at all the vintage residential buildings. Sweet. Then I checked out Pepper Place and chatted with the owner of o kafe's coffee shop. Nice lady. Also met there the editor of B-Ham Weekly, Glenny Brock. Very friendly. I then had lunch at Bottletree. Liked the bohemian vibe and friendly service, but the black bean burrito was only average. Then went to Sloss Furnaces. AWESOME. Got back in the car and drove through the gut of downtown to check the Birmingham Southern College campus and see Legion Field. Took interstate back to downtown and drove north along the Arrington viaduct, marveling at all the vintage buildings. Great view. Hit the interstate and headed home.

I probably talked to 20 people during the visit. Everybody was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

You've got a wonderful city, vastly better than Nashville in terms of vintage architecture, old-school vibe, easily navigated Downtown and South Side areas (with wide streets and easy to understand street numbering) and, of course, Red Mountain/Vulcan/the view.

I'll be back, hopefully in 2010. I want to visit the jazz museum, the zoo (have been before and was impressed), Al's Diner, Suraj, etc.

William Williams

Friends,

No doubt, Birmingham is an underrated American jewel. It's sad that most Americans almost exclusively travel to places based on "getting away from things" (i.e., people, traffic, stress, work, etc.) and/or enjoying tourist attractions and natural wonders (oceans, mountains, parks). Very few say, "Gee, I'd like to explore Dayton." And that's unfortunate. If more Americans had the "I would like to immerse myself in an authentic American city and learn about it," the Birminghams of the country would be bombarded with visitors.

Of note, I would rank Birmingham's built fabric -- in terms of vintage architecture and building density within the urban core -- ahead of those built environments of the following similar-sized or larger Southeastern cities (1 million or more), all of which I've explored either thoroughly or fairly well. The list is alphabetized:

Atlanta

Charlotte

Greensboro-Winston Salem

Jacksonville

Nashville

Orlando

Raleigh-Durham

Tampa-St. Petersburg

Those 1 million-plus Southeastern cities with built fabrics that compare well to the Ham's (again, in terms of vintage architecture and urban core building density) include the following:

Louisville

Memphis

Miami

New Orleans

Richmond

No doubt, Birmingham is in good company.

You've got a fine city.

William Williams

Archived