Discussion: Birmingham's Progress and Sustainability

kayman

Supposedly, their disgust with it had something to do with equating/comparing homosexuality with racial discrimination. I don't know *exactly* their point of dispute about the previous resolution, but they did like the language of the more recent one, and thus, the unanimous passing of the resolution.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

For right now, Alabama (and Birmingham) are very entrenched with the idea of college sports. As more and more folks move into the region that didn't attend Alabama or Auburn, there will be an increase in demand for pro sports. As of right now, I dont see the demand as being tremendous. Could it be profitable right now? Absolutely, but it'd be a bit of a risk. In time, however, investors will become increasingly aware of the potential revenue and you can guarantee it will happen.

Right now, UAB and Troy are programs that are growing in popularity in the state. Ultimately, I think that will help reduce some of this deeply established Alabama-Auburn feud that seems to have led to a disregard of every other sport and team out there.

For the past couple of months I have been reading through the B-ham forums to kind of help me make a decision about a sweet job offer and to relocate to Bham from Orlando. I used to visit a friend in Bham back in the 80's and thought it was a really beautiful happening city. At that time it even kind of "topped" Orlando. The Galleria was new and it was an actual upscale mall and I was jealous that we had no place like it down here, there was a happening area called "southside" I believe? What happened?? It seems like Bham got left in the dust during the 90's and the new millenium! I was up there a few months ago, it's still a beautiful city but now it seems to be lacking most of the current national restaurant chains and stores that are popular. There seems to be some growth in the downtown area, but nothing on a large scale like has been happening in most(many) cities. It seems there should be more, I know Bham's median household income is much higher than most cities, including Orlando. The Summit was ok but fairly typical and The Galleria is very mainstream compared to what it once was. Is there a new shopping district/complex that I'm not aware of? Could it be that Bham is too close to Atlanta? If anyone is very familiar with Orlando, do you think I would be happy with the move or would you stay put here if you were me? Thanks in advance for your opinions.....

For the past couple of months I have been reading through the B-ham forums to kind of help me make a decision about a sweet job offer and to relocate to Bham from Orlando. I used to visit a friend in Bham back in the 80's and thought it was a really beautiful happening city. At that time it even kind of "topped" Orlando. The Galleria was new and it was an actual upscale mall and I was jealous that we had no place like it down here, there was a happening area called "southside" I believe? What happened?? It seems like Bham got left in the dust during the 90's and the new millenium! I was up there a few months ago, it's still a beautiful city but now it seems to be lacking most of the current national restaurant chains and stores that are popular. There seems to be some growth in the downtown area, but nothing on a large scale like has been happening in most(many) cities. It seems there should be more, I know Bham's median household income is much higher than most cities, including Orlando. The Summit was ok but fairly typical and The Galleria is very mainstream compared to what it once was. Is there a new shopping district/complex that I'm not aware of? Could it be that Bham is too close to Atlanta? If anyone is very familiar with Orlando, do you think I would be happy with the move or would you stay put here if you were me? Thanks in advance for your opinions.....

Where should I start, well Birmingham is suffering for a lot of leadership issues that is causing it to fall behind other cities of similar size. It seems not more than ever people are starting realize this about the area. Hopefully, some of our issues will be resolved once the results of the mayoral election is resolved. That is what is truly holding back our region from the rapid growth.

Metrowester, I am very familiar with Central Florida, and I know how conservative the "real" Orlando, so generally speaking there would be no real adjustment other than the lack of major developments, no pro teams, and # of lakes between the 2 regions. Birmingham and Orlando are about the same when it comes to the conservative, family-oriented atmospheres, and now the urban cores of the 2 differ. Birmingham has more of an older core that resembles the Midwestern and Northeastern cities. We have a growing and vibrant nightlife in the City Center, and will continue to grow with the announcements of the recent developments such as The District @ BJCC and the Theater District along with the already established Five Points South & Lakeview.

Metrowester feel free to read some our topics on this sub-forum and you'll have the most of the 411 on this region.

The lack of real leaders, obviously. I live in the Avondale section of Birmingham, and crime, blight, poverty & indifference are major issues that greatly impact my neighborhood. I do have wonderful neighbors who are "of color" who struggle valiantly to ressurrect Avondale. Living side-by-side these "inner city denizens" has taught me that integration is Birmingham's only hope for salvation, and that we've GOT to evolve past racial barriers & attitudes to regain our leadership position (think Birmingham 1925, when it was third in the South only behind New Orleans and Atlanta).

My area is prime real estate for people interested in moving back to the city from distant cul-de-sacs, but we need a strong police chief who will fight crime instead of just pray about it.

People in this forum tend to bemoan Birmingham for not having this national chain restaurant, or that national store. Well, I'm HAPPY we don't, because I spend my money at local places like Highlands Bar & Grill, Charlemagne Records, Crestwood Coffee Company, Gaia's, V. Richard's and a host of other homegrown businesses. When I used to go to New Orleans, I'd always shop & visit LOCAL places, and I do the same when in Asheville, Atlanta & Nashville. The point is we have a unique "flavor" that one can't get from Alabaster, Gardendale, TrussVegas, or Hwy 280, although those communities have a potential to blossom into special localities. I undersand that the vast majority of people are mindless schlobs who think they actually have personalities and individual tastes, but the way they choose to live suggests otherwise. Oh, well, if Birmingham wants to be another sprawled-out, generic has-been metropolis, who am I to stop such "progress"?

It always seems to me that one travels to exciting cities to see how unique & different those communities are. One goes to Miami to experience Miami, not some bland copy of L.A. Birmingham has ALL the ingredients to be a truly unique destination. We just need people here to see how odd & special this city truly is.

The lack of real leaders, obviously. I live in the Avondale section of Birmingham, and crime, blight, poverty & indifference are major issues that greatly impact my neighborhood. I do have wonderful neighbors who are "of color" who struggle valiantly to ressurrect Avondale. Living side-by-side these "inner city denizens" has taught me that integration is Birmingham's only hope for salvation, and that we've GOT to evolve past racial barriers & attitudes to regain our leadership position (think Birmingham 1925, when it was third in the South only behind New Orleans and Atlanta).

My area is prime real estate for people interested in moving back to the city from distant cul-de-sacs, but we need a strong police chief who will fight crime instead of just pray about it.

People in this forum tend to bemoan Birmingham for not having this national chain restaurant, or that national store. Well, I'm HAPPY we don't, because I spend my money at local places like Highlands Bar & Grill, Charlemagne Records, Crestwood Coffee Company, Gaia's, V. Richard's and a host of other homegrown businesses. When I used to go to New Orleans, I'd always shop & visit LOCAL places, and I do the same when in Asheville, Atlanta & Nashville. The point is we have a unique "flavor" that one can't get from Alabaster, Gardendale, TrussVegas, or Hwy 280, although those communities have a potential to blossom into special localities. I undersand that the vast majority of people are mindless schlobs who think they actually have personalities and individual tastes, but the way they choose to live suggests otherwise. Oh, well, if Birmingham wants to be another sprawled-out, generic has-been metropolis, who am I to stop such "progress"?

It always seems to me that one travels to exciting cities to see how unique & different those communities are. One goes to Miami to experience Miami, not some bland copy of L.A. Birmingham has ALL the ingredients to be a truly unique destination. We just need people here to see how odd & special this city truly is.

a complete loop around the city would be nice.. I was bored at work today and when I get bored I start traveling with my atlas... every city close to the size of Birmingham has a complete loop around the metro... I live off of Mount Olive Rd. across I-65 from Morris.. sure would be nice if I could hit a bypass and end up in Fairfield where I work!

a complete loop around the city would be nice.. I was bored at work today and when I get bored I start traveling with my atlas... every city close to the size of Birmingham has a complete loop around the metro... I live off of Mount Olive Rd. across I-65 from Morris.. sure would be nice if I could hit a bypass and end up in Fairfield where I work!

We just got final approval of the "missing link" of our beltway. It is SR429(TOLL) from US 441 in Apopka, around Wekiva Springs State Park & Preserve and connecting with I-4 in Sanford. There was years of debate and delays due to the valuable wetlands that the road could possibly destroy. The final result will be not exits through that area and the entire road will be elevated so wildlife can pass underneath without any problems. Orlando has worked very hard to get this project built. I believe when the interstate highway system was being planned Orlando was way too small to recieve consideration for a beltway. The Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority was created and all of our new expressways have been built by the OOCEA and The Florida Turnpike Commission. All of them are toll roads and the system has been a success model nationwide. In the early 90's the OOCEA came up with an automatic billing system for tolls called E-Pass and the Turnpike followed with Sun Pass. With these systems and now the new Express Toll Lanes you can pay your toll while traveling 90 miles an hour and never slow down. Right now the OOCEA is in the process of widening and totally rebuilding the 408. The road is beautifully designed and landscaped. It has a very Euro-mod look to it. It is a road to be proud of. All of the OOCEA roads are well designed and something to take pride in. Go to www.oocea.com and check out the corporate web site. But one thing, I'm not sure of the reasoning behind wanting a complete loop around Birmingham. The main thing these roads have done to Orlando is to make Orlando the #1 worst city in the nation for urban sprawl. These roads were built for the benefit of developers. The roads were practically empty for the first 5 years because they were built in the middle of nowhere and huge developments and "new urbanism villages" have been and are being built like crazy and now parts of the x-way sytem are already being widened after being around for a little over 5-12 years. But good luck, hope it works for ya!

Ive never seen a city with urban sprawl like birmingham.. the city is shaped like a star.. it grows along the interstates away from birmingham... it's nuts.. takes a long time to drive to places here!!

One thing I can say we are missing that seems to be holding us back is our current inefficient governmental structure, lack of regional cooperation, an inactive business community, and lack of civic pride in our city. Although in recent months, it seems the business structure is coming around with Performa Entertainment deciding to invest in the District @ the BJCC, the proposal to create a Theatre District, but more gears need to be turning. We have the Fortune 500 and Top 10 financial institution, Regions Financial Corp., and Fortune 1000 companies of Vulcan Materials, Protective Life, and Torchmark, but none of these companies CEOs seems to want to attempt forge a coalition to make the major steps toward progress. Somebody needs to grow some and step up if we want to see something move forward.

BIRMINGHAM STILL LOSES POPULATION; CALERA BOOMING

Metro area population rises 4.6% since 2000

According to the recent Census estimates, Birmingham is now rank the 8th fastest shinking major city in the nation after losing an additional 1000 residents in the past 6 years. Although we are gaining in the City Center with nearly 25,000 residents as of the most recent estimates, it seems that this is not enough to sustain the losses. Meanwhile Calera has gained nearly 10,000 new residents in the past 6 years. Also the area ranks 27th amongst the Southeast 30 major metropolitan areas.

But the problem is magnified in Birmingham because the city is surrounded by incorporated communities, making it harder to grow through annexation.

"It pretty much puts a lid on growth," Bogie said.

Michael Shattuck, director of business development for the Metropolitan Development Board, a nonprofit economic development organization that recruits industry for the Birmingham area, said too much often is made of suburban flight data. The metro area as a whole is healthy, he said, and that's a more important gauge of Birmingham's health.

"We live in a metropolitan economy," he said

• 2 weeks later...

Driving around downtown Birmingham this week, I really noticed the mechanistic street grid. B'ham needs some monuments/fountains in prominent intersections to help break up the monotony and terminate vistas. More park space in the CBD, in addition to the railroad park, would help as well.

Driving around downtown Birmingham this week, I really noticed the mechanistic street grid. B'ham needs some monuments/fountains in prominent intersections to help break up the monotony and terminate vistas. More park space in the CBD, in addition to the railroad park, would help as well.

Archived