Heavy pot smoking does not cause lung cancer

damus

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060524/hl_hs...zkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

The California researchers also found that smoking marijuana does not appear to increase the risk of head and neck cancers, such as cancer of the tongue, mouth, throat or esophagus.

The study included 611 people in the Los Angeles area who developed lung cancer, 601 people with cancer of the head or neck regions, and 1,040 cancer-free people matched on age, gender and neighborhood.

Why is this stuff still on the black market? It's benign compared to alcohol. No one has ever been killed by marijuana. I believe it's impossible to ingest enough to over dose.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't there been just as many studies that show pot does cause cancer though?

Nonetheless, I'm all for the legalization of pot (as well as other drugs). It makes absolutely no sense that you can buy cigarettes and alcohol and not pot or shrooms, etc.

Have there been any studies as to how stupid it makes you?

Go ahead and smoke away. The rest of us will keep the world running.

I don't smoke, and only smoked now and then in high school and college with a couple short periods of increased frequency. It doesn't make you stupid. You have to be stupid to do so much of it that it consumes your life. Didn't Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and George W. Bush all smoke in their younger days? How about Snoop Dogg? With that logic he'd be the dumbest person on the planet considering how much he has smoked.

I would say that smoking pot probably damages as many brain cells as drinking alcohol. It's not unusual to question why alcohol isn't banned instead considering excessive drinking causes people to act stupid, and do very stupid things that endager others lives, while that worst situation pot smokers usually cause is a public annoyance. Additionally, unlike alcohol, you cannot die from "overdose" of pot. Some cities realize this by the level of local laws. For example, possession of marijuana on city property in Ann Arbor, MI will result in a $5 citation. The citation remains on your record until you pay the fine. According to local enforcement who lectured on drugs and alcohol at my residence hall, violaters are only cited if carrying a large amount. However, if you are OF AGE, and have an open container of alcohol on city property you could be fined up to $450! So that kind of throws things into perspective.

I'm not really arguing for or against legalwise, since there are so many conflicting studies on its effects, but I figured I provide a couple examples from a different point of view.

I don't smoke, and only smoked now and then in high school and college with a couple short periods of increased frequency. It doesn't make you stupid. You have to be stupid to do so much of it that it consumes your life. Didn't Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and George W. Bush all smoke in their younger days? How about Snoop Dogg? With that logic he'd be the dumbest person on the planet considering how much he has smoked.

I wouldn't exactly hold any of those people up as examples of "smart" people. Slick salespeople maybe. I don't even think George W. Bush is proud of those years.

As an ex pot smoker and someone like you who hung around with smokers in college, you only realize how dumb it made you (even when you weren't actually high) until you've stopped doing it for a while.

Who do you categorize as smart? These men (clinton, gore, bush) all went to either Harvard or Yale. Clinton was pretty much self made. These are all people who have "run the world" while others smoked pot and did nothing. You honestly think you are smarter than these men? Other than hailing from Grand Rapids and having three children, what have you done in your life that comes anywhere close to what they have accomplished?

I wish I had a link to it somewhere, but on CNBC several years ago there was a discussion between tim russert, al franken (before the radio show), and tucker carlson. Al Franken actually said he had met Dubya and that he was one of the smartest men he had ever met in his life. George W. isn't well spoken by any means, but he's not a moron. George W. Bush was a "slacker" in college and still had higher grades than John Kerry.

I would say that smoking pot probably damages as many brain cells as drinking alcohol. It's not unusual to question why alcohol isn't banned instead considering excessive drinking causes people to act stupid, and do very stupid things that endager others lives, while that worst situation pot smokers usually cause is a public annoyance. Additionally, unlike alcohol, you cannot die from "overdose" of pot. Some cities realize this by the level of local laws. For example, possession of marijuana on city property in Ann Arbor, MI will result in a $5 citation. The citation remains on your record until you pay the fine. According to local enforcement who lectured on drugs and alcohol at my residence hall, violaters are only cited if carrying a large amount. However, if you are OF AGE, and have an open container of alcohol on city property you could be fined up to $450! So that kind of throws things into perspective.

I'm not really arguing for or against legalwise, since there are so many conflicting studies on its effects, but I figured I provide a couple examples from a different point of view.

I guess the one thing I could point out is that alcohol in moderation actually seems to be good for you. I don't think there have been too many studies showing pot in any amount is good for you.

Sorry not trying to add more fuel to the fire here, but I can't say I think of Snoop Dogg as being very intelligent person either.

Who do you categorize as smart? These men (clinton, gore, bush) all went to either Harvard or Yale. Clinton was pretty much self made. These are all people who have "run the world" while others smoked pot and did nothing. You honestly think you are smarter than these men? Other than hailing from Grand Rapids and having three children, what have you done in your life that comes anywhere close to what they have accomplished?

I wish I had a link to it somewhere, but on CNBC several years ago there was a discussion between tim russert, al franken (before the radio show), and tucker carlson. Al Franken actually said he had met Dubya and that he was one of the smartest men he had ever met in his life. George W. isn't well spoken by any means, but he's not a moron. George W. Bush was a "slacker" in college and still had higher grades than John Kerr y.

I think George Bush is quite smart. That just makes it all the worse! At least stupid people have an excuse for failing at their job.

And who cares if they went to Harvard or Yale. I have a friend who was accepted to

Harvard and chose to goto my university instead because he didn't like the atmosphere of Harvard. I consistently scored higher than him on exams in similar subjects. Does that make me better than him? No. Does that make me smarter? No. Does that mean I should be accepted to Harvard? No. He was accepted to Harvard because his Grandpa went there and gave lots of money to the school. Another reason he declined admission.

So please don't go on giving me that credentials bullsh*t.

And if someone wants to go and smoke pot.. let them. I know few people that have never done it, and they certainly aren't doing nothing. It's not really your right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body or to personally attack someone because they haven't "achieved" (or rather, been handed to) a successful life in the national spotlight.

I remember learning about 6 levels of moral development.. and it seems that this country and social conservatives in particular are stuck at a level 4. "We shouldn't smoke pot because if one person did it then everybody might do it and our society would fall apart." That's an irrational fear.

I'm much more keen on the 6th level... morals are higher than religion and democracy. That's why, for example, I think the death penalty is wrong even if 51% say it isn't.

Have there been any studies as to how stupid it makes you?

Go ahead and smoke away. The rest of us will keep the world running.

Saying pot makes you stupid is a lame statement, where's the proof? You could say pot kills brain cells, that would be a more accurate statement. And alcohol kills brain cells too, as do lots of other things. I know plenty of intelligent pot smokers, who could probly run the world just fine.

And if someone wants to go and smoke pot.. let them. I know few people that have never done it, and they certainly aren't doing nothing. It's not really your right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body or to personally attack someone because they haven't "achieved" (or rather, been handed to) a successful life in the national spotlight.

I don't think I personally attacked you... There was a certain father of three from Grand Rapids, Michigan who called those three people stupid (not smart, just good salesmen), and who also told everyone who smokes pot to "keep smoking while the rest of us run the world". I simply put three nationally prominent politicians up there as examples of smart people who have smoked pot and went on to actually run the world. I would have used other examples if I could have, but not too many people out there make it publicly known that they used to be potheads (or in Bush's case, a coke fiend!). It's the nature of politics that everyone is aware of your past. Not all of them had their lives handed to them. Gore and Bush sure had an easier path, but what about Bill Clinton?

I'm pro-legalization of all drugs, but I can at least see what they're saying when they tell you crack is bad. Pot is as harmless as any drug you'll ever find.

You have no idea who I am or what I do for a living. At least I'm smart enough not to insult other people on this forum. As far as public figures like ex and current Presidents, they're fair game to call them whatever I want to call them. Last time I checked it was my public duty to do so.

I would venture to guess that all of them look back at their pot-smoking days as a "stupid" time in their lives, or at least don't think they were the best days of their lives.

One thing that I will point out as my opinion, which is all that has been given here anyway, is that people who smoke pot a lot seem to act "stupid" even when they are not smoking. People who drink alcohol mainly act stupid when they are in the act of drinking. Our definitions of "stupid" may be different.

BTW: Last time I checked, my IQ was/is higher than any of these three men. But golly ghee, I guess I'm not smart enought to have attacked a couple of countries, been impeached, or not won my own home State in an election. :rofl:

I don't think I personally attacked you...there was a certain father of three from Grand Rapids,

Are you saying you were personally attacking me? and not snowguy? Think twice on how you want to answer that question, seeing as how it's grounds for suspension/banning.

Are you saying you were personally attacking me? and not snowguy? Think twice on how you want to answer that question, seeing as how it's grounds for suspension/banning.

I was trying to be civil about it, but I guess I'd be better off leaving you alone for a while after this post. You personally attacked all pot smokers and painted them with a broad brush. It's the same thing as saying that all Irish people are drunks or that Polish people are stupid. If you want to get into activities that are one's choice, there are plenty of stereotypes about gun enthusiasts, abortionists (and anti abortionists), christians, muslims. With the logic presented I could say "having three children and living in Grand Rapids makes your hair grayer than those who have four children and live in Detroit". It wouldn't be a "personal attack", but it would sound like one, wouldnt it? I think that reaction to pot smokers is on the same level as the anti-gay posters on this (seemingly half populated by gay people) forum, whose posts/threads do not typically last very long around here.

Have fun at your mensa meetings, GR Dad. If you have a higher IQ than me, 140, congradulations. But that doesn't mean anything, really. I think the smartest man in America in terms of IQ was reported a few years back as a bouncer who lived in a trailer.

I was trying to be civil about it, but I guess I'd be better off leaving you alone for a while after this post. You personally attacked all pot smokers and painted them with a broad brush. It's the same thing as saying that all Irish people are drunks or that Polish people are stupid. If you want to get into activities that are one's choice, there are plenty of stereotypes about gun enthusiasts, abortionists (and anti abortionists), christians, muslims. With the logic presented I could say "having three children and living in Grand Rapids makes your hair grayer than those who have four children and live in Detroit". It wouldn't be a "personal attack", but it would sound like one, wouldnt it? I think that reaction to pot smokers is on the same level as the anti-gay posters on this (seemingly half populated by gay people) forum, whose posts/threads do not typically last very long around here.

Have fun at your mensa meetings, GR Dad. If you have a higher IQ than me, 140, congradulations. But that doesn't mean anything, really. I think the smartest man in America in terms of IQ was reported a few years back as a bouncer who lived in a trailer.

Pot smoking is not a protected class like most of those you listed. Pot smoking is like driving on the wrong side of the road or eating Big Macs for every meal. It's not like being gay, or being black, or being Irish.

You questioned my accomplishments, not my hair color. That's where you stepped over the line.

No problem, I'll leave this topic. 140, pretty good.

The whole pot smokers is stupid theory is dumb and innaccurate, first many of your favorite artists, music and otherwise are smokers, not to mention tons of other people. For instance, my IQ is still in the low 130's ;) .

Some cities realize this by the level of local laws. For example, possession of marijuana on city property in Ann Arbor, MI will result in a $5 citation. The citation remains on your record until you pay the fine. According to local enforcement who lectured on drugs and alcohol at my residence hall, violaters are only cited if carrying a large amount. However, if you are OF AGE, and have an open container of alcohol on city property you could be fined up to $450! So that kind of throws things into perspective.

Actually the local law is irrelevant. Posession of pot is a federal crime and if the FBI catches you with ANY amount they can charge you and if convicted you will go to the federal pokey with no chance of parole. It is much more severe than underage drinking and there are no federal laws like this for booze.

Actually the local law is irrelevant. Posession of pot is a federal crime and if the FBI catches you with ANY amount they can charge you and if convicted you will go to the federal pokey with no chance of parole. It is much more severe than underage drinking and there are no federal laws like this for booze.

so messed up... Even in states like Rhode Island where medicinal marijuana is legal now, if the feds catch you you're off to jail.

I don't know why it's illegal, because to be honest with you I know nothing about it. All I know about it is what my friends told me in high school. I was one of only a small handful of kids I knew in high school who never touched the stuff. And at 26 years old, I've still never touched the stuff - and have no desire to.

Personally, I think it should remain illegal. But that's my opinion, based on the fact that I've always been told to stay away from it and am rather afraid of it. I'm not normally afraid of the unknown, but when it comes to substances like that, I'm afraid of them.

If you want to smoke it, do it on your own time and just don't get caught. That's what everyone does already, anyway!

so messed up... Even in states like Rhode Island where medicinal marijuana is legal now, if the feds catch you you're off to jail.

That's really a hypothetical situation, I highly doubt the Feds are too worried about your averege weed smoker, or even your average weed dealer. They have very, very long list of more important things to deal with than weed. And you will almost certainly not be sent to prison for a modest amount, many times you have to have more than 5 kilos to see any serious time for marijuana. All it really takes is a good lawyer.

I don't know why it's illegal, because to be honest with you I know nothing about it.

It was made illegal by Nixon to get the hippies. I think it was legal for a few years in the 1960s after the Marijuana stamp act was ruled unconstitutional. LSD was legal back then, too.

I recommend renting the movie "Up in Smoke" to see what it was like before the conservative crackdowns that began when Reagan/Bush Sr took control of Washington. "Up in Smoke" was a comedy about pot smoking and took place at the end of the decade long party known as the 1970s.

I recommend renting the movie "Up in Smoke" to see what it was like before the conservative crackdowns that began when Reagan/Bush Sr took control of Washington. "Up in Smoke" was a comedy about pot smoking and took place at the end of the decade long party known as the 1970s.

Even though I've never touched marijuana, Up In Smoke is one of my all-time favorite movies. Actually most of my favorite movies are drug movies, because most of them are hilarious. :lol:

Archived