I don't get it

monsoon

I was turning to the local news at 10pm and saw this show, American Idol, was on and they were announcing the winner. What is the big deal? Both of the 2 finalists were singing and they were "painful" to listen to. I finally had to change it to something else when they announced that guy won and he started to sing his song. How can people be so engrossed by this stuff?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's embarassing but I actually watch the auditions at the beginning of the season for all the train wrecks and the way Simon insults them. It really is just a national karaoke competition. Keeping in mind that the biggest star that came out of this show is Clay Aiken (who from what I hear is a real a-hole backstage), it's pretty sad that this show gets the ratings it does.

I was hooked on the show during the beginning and middle of the season. Once the two with the best vocals (Mendisa and Paris) got voted off, I stopped watching cause obviously America doesnt' have a clue how to recognize any talent. The two finalists, well, suck in my opinion.

I hate to admit that we watched it, and yes it was painful. WTF was up with Meatloaf? Chris (the bald-headed guy) was about the only good one, and he got booted apparently because he has been talking to Fuel to take over as their lead singer.

Speaking of shark jumping, Lost did as well. Worst. Finale. EVER!

What was that explosion? I was waiting for them to show a mushroom cloud. How did that noise not cause anyone to go deaf?

Anyone see 24? I can't wait til next season.

What was that explosion? I was waiting for them to show a mushroom cloud. How did that noise not cause anyone to go deaf?

Anyone see 24? I can't wait til next season.

At the risk of spoiling the show, that was Desmond blowing up the hatch and saving the world. It was so stupid. As if you can stop an electromagnetic force (an powerful anonmaly no less) by blowing up the concrete surrounding it. I can't believe they ripped off The Odyssey for Desmond's backstory. Penelope, indeed. I swear I'm going to tie J.J. up and make him go back to work on the show he created. ABC can't be allowed to do to Lost what they did to Alias...

I'm sorry. I'm really bitter about what used to be my favorite show. Plus, I hang out at TWoP way too much. :D

It's embarassing but I actually watch the auditions at the beginning of the season for all the train wrecks and the way Simon insults them. It really is just a national karaoke competition. Keeping in mind that the biggest star that came out of this show is Clay Aiken (who from what I hear is a real a-hole backstage), it's pretty sad that this show gets the ratings it does.

I like to watch the auditions too, its the best part! :D The only reason why I watched this season, was becuase of Elliott Yamin, he was a Richmonder and well, it was nice to see a local in the competition. When he was outvoted, I stopped watching.

I see there are other Lost fans out there. I thought the season finale couldve been better.....

At the risk of spoiling the show, that was Desmond blowing up the hatch and saving the world. It was so stupid. As if you can stop an electromagnetic force (an powerful anonmaly no less) by blowing up the concrete surrounding it. I can't believe they ripped off The Odyssey for Desmond's backstory. Penelope, indeed. I swear I'm going to tie J.J. up and make him go back to work on the show he created. ABC can't be allowed to do to Lost what they did to Alias...

I'm sorry. I'm really bitter about what used to be my favorite show. Plus, I hang out at TWoP way too much. :D

But what would cause an explosion like that with a bright light and deafening sounds? I thought it was nuclear. Why wasn't that key that was used to blow up the hatch attracted to the magnetic field? I caught onto Lost when they first got into the hatch and have been disappointed quite a bit since. I still don't know most of their names. Why did they kill off that girl who was in the mental hospital with the fat kid? What was the point of all that if they were going to kill her?

On edit: that mental hospital episode made me think that this whole island is probably a delusion of the fat kid, who is still in the mental hospital. They're trapped on the island kind of in the same way that the fat kid is in the hospital. Are they ever going to visit that topic again?

RE: LOST

I think there was WAY too much information given in the season finale. It did tie up some loose ends and answer some questions, but it left me with a whole bunch more!!!

I really don't see how next season is going to pan out. I think from the look of things it could end next season.

I think from the look of things it could end next season.

I don't think the writers or ABC would like to see it end so soon. It's one of ABC's few hit shows. I see them continuing this until ratings decline and the show is no longer worth watching.

But what would cause an explosion like that with a bright light and deafening sounds? I thought it was nuclear. Why wasn't that key that was used to blow up the hatch attracted to the magnetic field? I caught onto Lost when they first got into the hatch and have been disappointed quite a bit since. I still don't know most of their names. Why did they kill off that girl who was in the mental hospital with the fat kid? What was the point of all that if they were going to kill her?

On edit: that mental hospital episode made me think that this whole island is probably a delusion of the fat kid, who is still in the mental hospital. They're trapped on the island kind of in the same way that the fat kid is in the hospital. Are they ever going to visit that topic again?

Who knows what caused the explosion? We may never find out either. The key not being sucked into the magnet was just another mistake in a long line of continuity errors. The murder of Libby is a huge controversy within Lost fandom. The producers claim they needed to kill her for emotional impact when Ana Lucia was killed. Apparently, no one would care if Ana Lucia died. The rumors were they were killed off the show because both actresses were charged with DUIs and ABC didn't like that. The producers have debunked the alternate reality theory. That was kind of what they were trying to illustrate with the end of the show and finally revealing when the plane crashed. That this is (now, because they were never clear before) taking place in real time. A bit of the spoiler theory is that Libby is a part of the corrupted Dharma faction. If you play The Lost Internet Experience (L.I.E) this summer, you can see the connections Penelope's family has to Dharma/Hanso Foundation and how they've corrupted the initiative and foundation. I'm not playing, but I read the clues at The Lost Experience.

Damus, I suggest you rent season one and enjoy. Season two has been awful. I don't expect season three to be better unless J.J. (the creator) comes back.

Bargal, you're right. Kelly is a huge star compared to Clay. His first album outsold hers, but she's had more sales from combined releases. I think she became more popular with time while the others are seeing their 15 minutes end. If Lost is anything like Alias ( So far, it is), they'll last 4 maybe 5 seasons. It takes a long time for the brass at ABC to realize a show isn't a hit anymore.

TBurban, I think the season finale would've been better if it aired during November or February sweeps.

I'm actually quite shocked to see that so many people seem to dislike Taylor Hicks, the modern-day crooner. The man is a crooner, no doubt, and since that's not "cool" these days, no one likes him. Aside from his spastic dancing, I think he's a pretty cool guy. Another thing that makes him unpopular to many people is his premature grey hair. I've got quite a bit of grey in my hair and I'm 26, so I suppose I can mostly relate to him in that way.

That said, I don't think he was the best choice. I agree with the person who said that the best talent was voted off the show long ago. One of my favorites was Chris Daughtry, and I sincerely hope he accepts the position with the band 'Fuel.'

I watch the auditions at the beginning of each season, and that's about it. I don't even care about the finale, none of that stuff really interests me. Though I really do enjoy watching the auditions, some of that stuff is hilarious! :lol:

I watch the auditions at the beginning of each season, and that's about it. I don't even care about the finale, none of that stuff really interests me. Though I really do enjoy watching the auditions, some of that stuff is hilarious! :lol:

The auditions are awesome, no doubt. That's actually how I got into Idol in the first place. I always thought the show sounded stupid and never wanted to watch it, but my wife liked it and told me about the funny auditions. So I started watching it for that, and in the end I found myself waiting until the last show, just waiting to find out who would ultimately be chosen.

I could watch Idol auditions all the time... God they're funny.

I hate American Idol and I'm glad it's over. When something like 85% of the country knows who the American Idols are but can't point out Iraq on a geography map, it confirms the fact that we are a nation of idiots who crave sensationalized entertainment like a meth addict's addiction. It's pathetic.

I hate American Idol and I'm glad it's over. When something like 85% of the country knows who the American Idols are but can't point out Iraq on a geography map, it confirms the fact that we are a nation of idiots who crave sensationalized entertainment like a meth addict's addiction. It's pathetic.

What if you can name the American Idols and find Iraq on a map? Still pathetic? Ah, thanks anyway. :P

if you hate american idol, at least check out american inventor. it's actually quite interesting and also produced by simon cowell. there's less insults, as much stupidity, but the end result is something a bit better than another crappy pop singer who everyone will forget about in 2-3 years.

if you hate american idol, at least check out american inventor. it's actually quite interesting and also produced by simon cowell. there's less insults, as much stupidity, but the end result is something a bit better than another crappy pop singer who everyone will forget about in 2-3 years.

I love American Inventor and can't wait until their second season.

I also like Last Comic Standing, because I enjoy stand-up comedy and have seen many of those comics in person as many of them have been on the circuit for years. This gives many of them a chance to be on TV that they otherwise may never get. And in the end, one of them becomes a comedy superstar!

I love American Inventor and can't wait until their second season.

I also like Last Comic Standing, because I enjoy stand-up comedy and have seen many of those comics in person as many of them have been on the circuit for years. This gives many of them a chance to be on TV that they otherwise may never get. And in the end, one of them becomes a comedy superstar!

i saw that for the first time last night... it's actually really good and not as cheesy as american idol. i oppose american idol solely because it just aids crappy pop singers who are a dime a dozen these days... the world does not need another britney spears, justin timberlake, kelly clarkson, or whatever that guy's name is who came in second to the big black guy (i can't remember his name either, and i don't mean big black guy as an insult, i mean it as a description because i can't think of his name).

american inventor pushes americans to invent and innovate. it could help bring us to the top of the world's innovators again.

What if you can name the American Idols and find Iraq on a map? Still pathetic? Ah, thanks anyway. :P

I've never watched American Idol, but unfortunately the show and its crappy tired theme is shoved down everyone's throat in the form of the media...and annoying co-workers talking about specific episodes.( I work in a large office building.)

Yes I find it completely saddening that this nations youth are losing their brains to this carnival sideshow. The real heros are those guys and girls putting their lives on the line every day to keep us free. Forget what you think about the leaders running the war, those men and women are doing their job, and they are making us safer. Maybe I should call in and vote for those servicemembers as write-ins.

American Idol did give us Kelly Clarkson who I think is great. She actually has talent unlike other crappy singers who somehow make it big(Ashley Simpson, Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan :sick: , and now Paris Hilton is singing, WTF). As for the other Idols, I don't care so much for them. Ryan Seacrest is a complete tool.

Archived