Safest cities for driving...

nashvol85

I just saw this on the Knoxville news...I don't remember the numbers FOR SURE from Knoxville and Chattanooga...but I think these are right.

Knoxville ranked 6th and Chattanooga ranked 3rd among cities over 500,000 (metro)

Memphis ranked 2nd and Nashville ranked 3rd among cities over 1,000,000 (metro)

This isn't just figures for the south, but apparently for the entire country! :shok:

Thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are the figures for drivers from these cities? or accidents in the city by the same driver? or accidents in the city total?

From what I gathered it was probably decided by the total number of accidents/number of cars or number of licenses...giving the average time before every single driver would "statistically" have an accident. So statistically it should take the average person in Knoxville 12.5 years before they get in an accident.

From what I gathered it was probably decided by the total number of accidents/number of cars or number of licenses...giving the average time before every single driver would "statistically" have an accident. So statistically it should take the average person in Knoxville 12.5 years before they get in an accident.

Do you know the source of the study? USDOT? Also, which Knoxv station was it?

ah, got ya. that's something for us to definatly be proud of.

are the figures for drivers from these cities? or accidents in the city by the same driver? or accidents in the city total?

The figures are from Allstate, and the claims they had to pay out on. They take the claims then put it against the population and come up with how often an individual will be in an accident by time. I think Chattanogoa was 1 accident per person approx every 12 years

That kind of surprises me that Nashville ranked high; seems like everyday back when I was one of many sitting in Nashville rush hour traffic, and when they gave a traffic report there would always be an accident at I-65 and Vietnam Veterans, I-65 and Old Hickory north of town I-65 at Trinity Lane and about two others in various places. But, you could always count on there being accidents at those three locations in morning and evening rush hours. Have they completed that stretch of I-65 around yet?

• 2 weeks later...

That kind of surprises me that Nashville ranked high; seems like everyday back when I was one of many sitting in Nashville rush hour traffic, and when they gave a traffic report there would always be an accident at I-65 and Vietnam Veterans, I-65 and Old Hickory north of town I-65 at Trinity Lane and about two others in various places. But, you could always count on there being accidents at those three locations in morning and evening rush hours. Have they completed that stretch of I-65 around yet?

Yes, they have finished the I-65 project. It's quite nice, especially if you use Vietnam Vets - the two right lanes of the five lane interstate turn directly into Vietnam Vets. The traffic flow seems to be very smooth, and the Briley Pkwy interchange is really cool! (All seven lanes of it!)

Archived