Plumber Recommendation Needed...

Garris

Hi everyone,

I just came back from almost a week in L.A. for a conference (impressions and pics later in a different forum) and found my shower plumbing had a serious leak that was dripping through to the floor below. To make this more complicated, I was supposed to travel again today for a job interview before the 3 day weekend, but I may need to cancel that now because of this...

So I need a plumber, and one that'll look at this fairly quickly. I've had very, very bad experiences with both "small guys" and big concerns (like GEM) who have been horrendously unreliable, terribly inaccurate, and very expensive.

So recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Garris

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I just came back from almost a week in L.A. for a conference (impressions and pics later in a different forum) and found my shower plumbing had a serious leak that was dripping through to the floor below. To make this more complicated, I was supposed to travel again today for a job interview before the 3 day weekend, but I may need to cancel that now because of this...

So I need a plumber, and one that'll look at this fairly quickly. I've had very, very bad experiences with both "small guys" and big concerns (like GEM) who have been horrendously unreliable, terribly inaccurate, and very expensive.

- Garris

i could be wrong, but i think you mentioned you live in a townhouse in a complex. if there's some sort of complex office, you could ask them who they recommend. that might be the best bet.

other than that, i haven't heard terrible things about gem... and their number is hard to forget, especially if you grew up in teh 80's. :P

I'm not too thrilled with GEM. I had them come to my house when I first moved in to do some minor repairs. The gentleman that came out was fantastic, and showed me everything he was doing, explained what was happening, and even labeled all of my shut off valves so they could be quickly identified during an emergency.

I called to request him again recently, and they told me he only services commercial property now. Instead they sent out a different technician.

The technician arrived, and I explained the situation. He offered a solution, and gave me a by-the-book estimate. I told him some of the parts he suggested replacing were only months old. Alas, he did not requote. Moreover, an estimate costs $99. Yes, an estimate. True this is deducted from the cost if you choose to have GEM do the work, but as I was not happy with the proposed solution, I too am in the market for a new plumber/HVAC technician.

Hi everyone,

- Garris

I have had great luck with a guy named Vinny Ricard (Ricard and Sons Plumbing) His number is 1-508-336-2154. He's not overly cheap, but he does good work and is here when he says he will be (which is a big plus).

Job interview, you're not movin are you?

I very badly don't want to (and don't think I'll probably have to), but the market around here for what I do is getting somewhat saturated and it's theoretically possible they'll be no openings, so I'm looking at some backups in Boston and Philly (themselves no less saturated than Providence). As you yourself well know, you go where the offers are.

Don't worry. I'm pulling out all the stops to try to stay here!

- Garris

PS: Keep the recommendations coming! I called Davidson Plumbing, and he sounds like a great guy, but the very earliest he could take a look at things would be Monday or Tuesday...

Archived