Urban Lifestyle - Running/Jogging

bulldogger

This is more of a lifestyle issue instead of development and planning type stuff.

I run in downtown on a somewhat regular basis and wanted to get some hill work without driving to Clermont or use a high school stadium (which is really hard to do nowadays), so I started running uphill in a parking garage.

Great workout. Sprinting the uphills, jogging the flats, using the stairs down. Good place to run when it's raining as well.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is more of a lifestyle issue instead of development and planning type stuff.

I run in downtown on a somewhat regular basis and wanted to get some hill work without driving to Clermont or use a high school stadium (which is really hard to do nowadays), so I started running uphill in a parking garage.

Great workout. Sprinting the uphills, jogging the flats, using the stairs down. Good place to run when it's raining as well.

Just be careful in there... especially around blind corners. Orlando drivers aren't particularly pedestrian friendly and love to speed around in parking garages. At least the ones in UCF. I tend not to park in garages downtown except for the Thornton Park one.

Yes you can. Most treadmills have a adjustable incline feature.

That's great for someone that isn't a real runner. No offense to anyone that uses a treadmill. Treadmills are OK for warming up for your workout or walking to lose weight.

It's like comparing masturbating and having sex.

You can't really open up your stride and control your speed on a treadmill. Kind of like being caged.

I was just offering a suggestion to people that run downtown and want to get a hill workout. Not trying to debate anything really.

I was just offering a suggestion to people that run downtown and want to get a hill workout.

I used to do that too, several years ago. But mostly I'd use the stairs. Now THAT'S uphill running. (OK, so I'd walk, but it was still great exercise). What I really loved to do was to go to the Florida Hospital parking garage and ride my bike up it, then when I got to the top, enjoy the great skyline view for a few minutes, then coast back down. Back then, the top floors were hardly used and you could really get hauling azz down that thing. Great fun.

BTW... Lake Davis, Lake Cherokee & Delaney Park areas... best places to jog in town.

I used to do that too, several years ago. But mostly I'd use the stairs. Now THAT'S uphill running. (OK, so I'd walk, but it was still great exercise). What I really loved to do was to go to the Florida Hospital parking garage and ride my bike up it, then when I got to the top, enjoy the great skyline view for a few minutes, then coast back down. Back then, the top floors were hardly used and you could really get hauling azz down that thing. Great fun.

BTW... Lake Davis, Lake Cherokee & Delaney Park areas... best places to jog in town.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll check those out on some long Saturday morning jogs.

shirts?

I'd take off my shorts and jog, but I'd end up smacking myself in the face. :shok:

That's because without your shorts on, you wouldn't have pockets to keep your hands in, right? (I'm just trying to get an extremely disturbing image out of my mind.) :stop:

• 2 weeks later...

shirts?

I'd take off my shorts and jog, but I'd end up smacking myself in the face. :shok:

LOL. that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

I just started walking/jogging Lake Eola. It's pretty cool. about 2-3 homeless average. there's a cafe near Robinson where a DJ plays house music-- Sunday morning. its cool.

I jog in the downtown area myself and enjoy an occasional hill to run up. There aren't too many around, but there is a couple by Hillcrest Elementry in colonial town and a few over around lake highland (see map)

highlandmap.jpg

I usually run around these areas and go to the downtown ymca to lift every other day or so.

Archived