The Gateway

Danny 4 Peace

well, im a little suprised that the planning board overwhelmingly voted in favor of the development...8-1. WSSU was brought up again and was stated as the main reason why Place has W-S as its top priority in the state for a new facility.

chad davis describes it as a critical piece in the gateway development.

neighbors still unhappy with the plans.

ecxpect a big turnout at the city council meeting.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The YWCA at the Gateway is slated to open this weekend on the 16th!

The facility is 90,000 sf and features a 9,000 sf fitness center with state of the art equipment, a competition swimming pool, a family water park, three full-size basketball courts, a computerized library, and a cyber cafe. They are looking for community input on programs to offer.

Check the facility out on the 16th!! :thumbsup:

WFMY News2 piece on YWCA opening

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perhaps when it fills in more, it will look differently, but I was hoping for a quaint looking sort of village connecting NCSA and Old Salem. I still lament the loss of the two or three level Barnes & Noble. I also hope something innovative is done with Salem Creek beyond simply a Greenway, that is, with some quaint shops as well as the Greenway. I was also hoping that the Southeast Gateway and Old Salem could feed off one another prompting a hotel or two blending in with the historical nature of the area, or even a boutique style hotel. Maybe it'll still happen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well,the student housing proposal got soundly turned down by W-S city council tonight. According to news reports, the vote was 7 to 1 against allowing this development. I'm glad this wasn't approved, while I agree we need a variety of housing options in all neighborhoods, I don't believe this type of housing was needed in this area.

FOX 8 WGHP news story on Student Housing Proposal Defeat

• 2 weeks later...

1. The Summit

2. Family Services Office Building (LEED certified)

3. Salem Family Practice

4. Renovation of old Duke Power building for Novant Health (completed)

Other projects in The Gateway:

5. Marshall Street Brownstones

6. Salem Place Townhomes

7. College Park

8. Renaissance Place (completed)

Archived