The Gateway

Danny 4 Peace

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new 14 feet wide, 140 feet long $183,000 arched pedestrian bridge now stretches over Salem Creek. The bridge will be completed by the end of the week and open in the spring.

Talecris Biotherapeutics Inc. plans to open a 12,000-square-foot laboratory in the Gateway in April. Talecris will hire 17 people to collect plasma for use in biotechnology research. Talecris develops drugs using plasma to treat pulmonary diseases and immune-deficiency disorders. Talecris chose Winston-Salem for its concentration of institutions of higher education, population density, and because it is a regional leader in commerce.

i see condo sells have been a real problem! no school? please dont tell me the CDI is opening here? celtic cafe is moving?

from the summit/shoppes southward to the YWCA is excellent land-use. i wish the rest of the development wasnt so spread out. and there has to be a better solution for parking.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

from what i have seen on the city's MLS listing almost all these units are sold thank god. I'm not a big fan of the materials used on the outside of the building but I like the fact that the project has moved along and I look forward to see future phases. It will be a good place for the community and area students to convene to eat, shop and play. Hope there are some places moving in that will be open late as a nice neighborhood meeting place.

Place for students and young people to study and hang out at night

I really wish there was a bookstore here

Recall, that a very large (2-3 floors) Barnes & Noble was slated for the Southeast Gateway, but the deal fell through because a condition was that the four universities; Winston-Salem State, Salem College, and UNCSA (wow, I like typing that U now), and Wake Forest give the sole textbook concession to B&N. Salem already uses B&N, and I don't know about WSSU and UNCSA, but Wake refused (I don't know the details). A minor blip considering Wake's PTRP and everything else. Still, a B&N (with attendant Starbucks) would have been a real draw for the Southeast Gateway.

On Wednesday night, I drove through the College Park development. I was very impressed with their attempt at a recreation of a historic neighborhood. Each home's exterior styling is unique to itself. The interiors (high baseboards, crown molding, wood floors, etc.) strongly resemble a home in Ardmore or West Salem. Not to mention that all the houses are Energy Star Certified with green features. I can't wait to see this development fully built out!

NOTE: I didn't have my tripod with me, so the photos may appear a littly blurry. Also, the colors are not their original shade as they would be in daylight.

Update 7-16-08

2679821223_792d0b8bfe_b.jpg

2679825361_2d119c236a_b.jpg

2680649632_d139cc97b2_b.jpg

2680653920_3871424085_b.jpg

2680657890_03deed10c1_b.jpg

2679844469_d68ced85bc_b.jpg

Model Home:

2680661510_f364d8d5c1_b.jpg

2679847943_03628868aa_b.jpg

2680672044_a603041ecf_b.jpg

2679855061_d396447e83_b.jpg

Skyline Views:

2680679528_4a1f4ca646_b.jpg

2680680728_6ca9dc798b_b.jpg

• 6 months later...

I would like to see something interesting done with the traffic circle in the intersection. A nice water fountain or statue to welcome people to the downtown area and the Gateway, especially since it is near the colleges and an artsy area. That would be a nice addition. I also fill that the there should be some student housing or at least apartments in the Gateway to bring some youth to the development.

Archived