The Gateway

Danny 4 Peace

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now when I reach the end of Marshall, I see an empty lot with new construction in the distance which I assume is the new YWCA. A little further up I see the cleared land where the new townhouses will be built on the old Coca-Cola property.

I think Marshall St has the potential to be one of the great streets in this city from the Gateway to Fifth St. It is devoid of much retail for much of its length but the developing cluster of restaurants and offices on the section south of main will address some of this.

That has actually a nice ring to it for that developing area: South Main - SOMA: area which includes Old Salem, Gateway, NCSA, anything south of Business 40.

• 1 month later...

Italian food coming to the Gateway:

"Simon Vicidomini, the proprietor of BLL Rotisserie Factory at the 380 Knollwood Complex, and partner Biagio Lubrano have committed to opening a new restaurant in the gateway. It will be called Ciao Pizza and Italian Restaurant. The partners have agreed to build a free-standing restaurant with 2,400 square feet of interior space and a 2,000 square-foot covered patio. There will be seating for 120."

link to smitty's notes

An organic grocery store is definitely a #1 need though. And I say that as a Washington Park resident who is looking forward to walking down the hill and shopping in the Gateway.

Kevin

My wife and I live in West Salem and were visiting friends in the Baltimore area recently. We went to the local Trader Joe's store a few times while we were there. A Trader Joe's would be the perfect grocery store for the Gateway. They are supposed to be opening their 1st NC stores in the Triangle and Charlotte areas.

Check them out at www.traderjoes.com. One can always hope.

My wife and I live in West Salem and were visiting friends in the Baltimore area recently. We went to the local Trader Joe's store a few times while we were there. A Trader Joe's would be the perfect grocery store for the Gateway. They are supposed to be opening their 1st NC stores in the Triangle and Charlotte areas.

Check them out at www.traderjoes.com. One can always hope.

I agree, a Trader Joe's would be a good fit in that location. Maybe we need to start an email campaign for one??

:thumbsup:

I agree, a Trader Joe's would be a good fit in that location. Maybe we need to start an email campaign for one??

That was our thinking as well but I don't see an e-mail link on their website.

We talked with the manager at the Owings Mills, MD store. He said the company tended to be very careful when and where they put their new stores. We practically begged!

Hello Everyone,

Construction on the Summit will begin sometime between mid and late September of 2006. We've been going through the process of platting, permitting, pricing, contracting, ect., ect.. Stay tuned...they're are some exciting thing to come!

Chadwick D. Davis

President

East Coast Capital, Inc.

(Developer of the Gateway)

Thanks for the update!! :)

I for one truly appreciate the updates and more importantly the participation of one who is not only in the know directly, but that takes the time to provide the updates and the information. It is admirable!

I am impressed really with all that's being done and the potential of what can be done, and would like to thank East Coast Capital for taking this chance/opportunity to make what was nothing short of a blight in the midst of so many institutions and potential activites into what will undoubtedly be a destinationtion for locals, the region, and hopefully the numerous tourists to the area.

Now for my ideas (reiterated). I hope really that if not now, but eventaully Salem Creek (at least a relevant section of it) can be expanded into a kind of Riverwalk with outdoor cafes, etc. Secondly, (and I don't know the details), but somehow re-open negotiations for a major three story Barnes & Noble bookstore (and Starbucks - I know what many will say, but national brands indicate a place is worthy or should I say worthwhile).

On the matter of Old Salem hoping it will be an overnighter for tourists; I hope so as well, and to that end, a hotel (most of us would hope for a highrise of at least 10 - my preference is 20; my personal, subjective number for skyscraper), but if height doesn't fit the theme, then several boutique style hotels would definitely complement a Riverwalk envirnoment. If this can be accomplished, more will follow naturally once the critical mass is achieved.

Thanks again East Coast Capital

I too appreciate the Gateway updates. They are especially interesting since I only live a few blocks away in West Salem!

This is kinda off topic but the mention of a 3 story Barnes & Noble made me think of this one I saw on a recent trip to Baltimore. The building is the old power plant on the Inner Harbor. Way cool!

barnesnoblepano2.jpg

The upper corners look odd because the pic is a panorama made from 3 pictures. I just copied some sky into the corners to fill the empty space..

That's a great shot. The Inner Harbor was a blighted, run-down area until the 1970s, when it was turned around, and is now thronged with people, but there's a lot more people in the area.

Still, a water feature attracts people, even man-made water features. So, I think an effort to do something with the section of Salem Creek in The Gateway rather than a completely green strolling path could be significant for Old Salem and the students of the surrrounding colleges and universities.

After all Riverwalk in San Antonio is not very wide or deep, and is in fact an anabranch of the San Antonio River, which itself is not so big, and has a mixture of commercial, hotels (boutique and national chain), condos, and even a small shopping mall. I guess it would have been easier if the Moravians had settled at what is now Clemmons. The creation of counties would have been different, and W-S and Greensboro would have been 15 miles further apart, and W-S closer to a less populous Statesville. Interesting speculation?

I was wondering if the overall plan for "The Gateway" is going to be something like Lake Norman's Birkdale Villiage. I keep hearing alot about this development, (the gateway) but there is really not that much information about it.

Birkdale Villiage is a pretty cool place in Lake Norman with name brand shops and restaurants and also a 16 screen theather.

http://www.birkdalevillage.net/welcome.htm

http://www.birkdalevillage.net/community.htm

I was wondering if the overall plan for "The Gateway" is going to be something like Lake Norman's Birkdale Villiage. I keep hearing alot about this development, (the gateway) but there is really not that much information about it.

Birkdale Villiage is a pretty cool place in Lake Norman with name brand shops and restaurants and also a 16 screen theather.

http://www.birkdalevillage.net/welcome.htm

http://www.birkdalevillage.net/community.htm

Looked at the photos. Very nice with retail at street level and offices and residential on the upper floors. Different facades and building heights are definitely a winning feature. The parking lot to building ratio seems to be better notwithstanding that large parking area abutting Sam Furr Rd.

Yet...

There is something too much Celebration USA to the look and feel to this area. It did not organically developed, just dropped into the area. Words like exclusive neighbourhoods and wealthiest residents say that this development is the playarea for the well-do and if you can not afford it, then you should not even be visiting there. If the this development becomes the core of a real town as dense residential areas are developed around it with easy pedestrian access to it, then it may turn out to be a good prototype for communities of the future. For now, I will reserve judgement on it.

That failed, but it would be so nice to have them here! :D

I second that! My wife and I talked to the manager at the Trader Joe's in Owings Mills, MD. He talked like they would be opening a store in Raleigh or Charlotte (or both) pretty soon. I wish I had an e-mail addy for Trader Joes so we could do an e-mail campaign for a store at the Gateway. I couldn't find one on their their website.

I second that! My wife and I talked to the manager at the Trader Joe's in Owings Mills, MD. He talked like they would be opening a store in Raleigh or Charlotte (or both) pretty soon. I wish I had an e-mail addy for Trader Joes so we could do an e-mail campaign. I couldn't find one on their their website.

I think DCMetroRaleigh was talking about opening a Trader Joe's at the Gateway (which did fall-through but may have just been rumors). I already know they are opening stores in Cary and in Raleigh but I was talking about one here in Winston proper.

I think DCMetroRaleigh was talking about opening a Trader Joe's at the Gateway (which did fall-through but may have just been rumors).

I was obviously unclear in my post. I have edited it. I think a Gateway Trader Joe's falling through may be a rumor. The manager we talked to said they wanted to get a feel for NC with the stores they are already planning first.

Of course, he may have just been trying to get rid of us too! :whistling: (Not really....he was very nice.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived