News on Springfield's Universities

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drury ranks 10th amoung the Midwests best Colleges! According to the US NEWS Magazine Drury is the 10th best overall University to attened in the Midwest. :D

Here's the link: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/r...as_mw_brief.php

whew! It's a good thing they said 10th among the "Midwest's" best colleges or people down here in the South would be in an uproar... even if they really meant down here too. :D

^I don't know I remeber seeing a list from USA Today in 04' that included AR and had Drury higher than UA.

Missouri State was 54th on the list of the Midwest's Colleges as well! I was shocked to see that the U of A was not even on any of the lists. Of course sometimes these lists can be squewed.

• 2 months later...

The numbers are in and Missouri State University's registered students stands at just over 22,000! I cain't believe that its gone up that much in 2 years! WOW!

What was it previously?

That's great MSU has that high amount of students. The UofA is around 18,000 I believe.

What was it previously?

That's great MSU has that high amount of students. The UofA is around 18,000 I believe.

MSU was around 20,500 2 years ago. I'm sure alot of it has to do with the name change and the new affiliation with UMR Ingineering School.

OTC (Ozarks Technical Community College) is now over 10,500 and is still the fastest growing community college in the nation as well as Drury being over 6,000! I believe Evangle has around 4,000 students. The number of students at Springfield Universities is just over 41,000!

:offtopic:

So I was downtown last night watching a friends band (A Day Away) and there was a band from Fayetteville playing as well......I believe they were Six Hung Sprung or something another. Anyway's, They were'nt rooten for the home team to say the least. Two of the band mates went out of their way to say how "Sh$$y" Fayetteville was. I was a little taken back by the comment because personnaly I like Fayettevillel. The other band mate went on to say "Arkansas Sucks.......F$$$ Arkansas!" if you can only imagine. I don't understand why they have sooo much hate for their home town.

Mcheiss, is there a proplem with the music scene down there or are they just one of a kind?

So I was downtown last night watching a friends band (A Day Away) and there was a band from Fayetteville playing as well......I believe they were Six Hung Sprung or something another. Anyway's, They were'nt rooten for the home team to say the least. Two of the band mates went out of their way to say how "Sh$$y" Fayetteville was. I was a little taken back by the comment because personnaly I like Fayettevillel. The other band mate went on to say "Arkansas Sucks.......F$$$ Arkansas!" if you can only imagine. I don't understand why they have sooo much hate for their home town.

Mcheiss, is there a proplem with the music scene down there or are they just one of a kind?

There isn't a problem with the music scene at all here. I think all we are lacking is one large facility for bands to play at. Of course, there are plenty of venues all throughout Fayetteville and Bentonville for the music scene. The music scene is actually quite large here.

I can't understand why someone would say that, I guess some kids these days are so strived for attention they'll say pretty much anything. Who knows?

There isn't a problem with the music scene at all here. I think all we are lacking is one large facility for bands to play at. Of course, there are plenty of venues all throughout Fayetteville and Bentonville for the music scene. The music scene is actually quite large here.

I can't understand why someone would say that, I guess some kids these days are so strived for attention they'll say pretty much anything. Who knows?

Yeah, Kids these day's....LOL. Well Springfield does have over 40,000 college students and the downtown enviroment does seem to cater to them pretty well so they could just have been happy to be in Springfield.

Who knows?

Yeah, Kids these day's....LOL. Well Springfield does have over 40,000 college students and the downtown enviroment does seem to cater to them pretty well so they could just have been happy to be in Springfield.

Who knows?

How close is Drury and MSU to the downtown area.

The UofA is literally right next to Downtown Fayetteville and Dixon Street.

How close is Drury and MSU to the downtown area.

The UofA is literally right next to Downtown Fayetteville and Dixon Street.

Well, MSU actually has two 4-6 story buildings downtown and the main campus is right behind the skyline you see on my avatar. The 19 story building is one of the housing choices. Then, if you can imagine, there is a six lane expressway and downtown is on one side and Drury and OTC both are on the other right next to each other. So in other words all three of those Colleges are downtown/midtown.

Well, MSU actually has two 4-6 story buildings downtown and the main campus is right behind the skyline you see on my avatar. The 19 story building is one of the housing choices. Then, if you can imagine, there is a six lane expressway and downtown is on one side and Drury and OTC both are on the other right next to each other. So in other words all three of those Colleges are downtown/midtown.

Wow, a 19 Floor Dorm?

The tallest at the UofA is 10 Floors.

I guess now I see why the downtown of Springfield is so prolific. Having all the colleges in the downtown/midtown area adds pedestrian traffic, which is why there's so many bars and restaurants.

Wow, a 19 Floor Dorm?

The tallest at the UofA is 10 Floors.

I guess now I see why the downtown of Springfield is so prolific. Having all the colleges in the downtown/midtown area adds pedestrian traffic, which is why there's so many bars and restaurants.

Yup, 19 floors........I'm pretty sure that its the tallest dorm in Missorui. I've also heard that Hammons want to build a "Sister" Tower around that dorm. But will see when that happens. There are actually 49,000 people that live within a mile from the Square.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Drury plans entrepreneur center

Partnership with investment firm Edward Jones will also result in a new entrepreneurship program.

A Center for Entrepreneurship will be coming to Drury University.

The investment company Edward Jones and the university are expected to have a joint announcement Monday morning, said Regina DeLuca, spokeswoman for Edward Jones.

The St. Louis-based firm is pledging nearly $2 million to help launch the center.

"It's a wonderful thing," she said.

The Drury Mirror, the university newspaper, reported on Nov. 6 that John Beuerlein, chairman of the Board of Trustees and a partner at Edward Jones, announced that he and Edward Jones had an "increased" interest in the project.

The center will have three main functions: education, hands-on applications for students and support for organizations and businesses in the community, the school newspaper reported.

Academically, a new minor in entrepreneurship will be offered to daytime Drury students, and a master of business administration program with an emphasis on entrepreneurship will be developed for graduate students, said the Mirror.

The applied program will provide students with an opportunity to participate in practical activities, and the center's community initiative program will help develop existing organizations and corporations in local communities, the Mirror reported.

Jim Anderson, president of the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce, welcomes the center.

"A focus on entrepreneurship is sort of a marriage with the culture of the Ozarks," he said. "One of the reasons Drury pursued this is the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in the Ozarks. ... This particular center will bring it to the next level......"

to read more..............http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../611110357/1092

• 3 months later...

MSU robots to coat Navy jet cockpits

A combination of robotics, nanotechnology and scientific know-how got some long-awaited exposure Wednesday morning.

Members of Missouri State University's Center for Applied Science and Engineering demonstrated a robotics line they developed to apply a nano-composite hard coat to the canopies of U.S. Navy jets.

Archived