Boomtowns '06: Hottest Midsize Cities

Inc.com released their list this month for the country's hottest cities:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20060501/boomtowns-midsize.html

Shreveport made the list for the mid-size city range, albeit just barely. I'm surprised that it didn't rank higher, and I'm surprised Lafayette didn't make the list, especially considering the population and business surge from Katrina. Ummm... who is Inc.com again? :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inc.com released their list this month for the country's hottest cities:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20060501/boomtowns-midsize.html

Shreveport made the list for the mid-size city range, albeit just barely. I'm surprised that it didn't rank higher, and I'm surprised Lafayette didn't make the list, especially considering the population and business surge from Katrina. Ummm... who is Inc.com again? :D

Very interesting. This is a list I'm not familiar with, but the fact that Shreveport made it on there satisfies me.

:D

Thanks for posting that, man. By the way, I've viewed some of your Shreveport photos on Emporis and am impressed. Great job.

Congrats to Shreveport, from what I can tell things are going very well for them.

I will say that this list is a little fishy. In their interactive map of the top ten cities of each size (small, mid, large), fifteen were in Florida (that's half).

I also find it hard to believe that Baton Rouge and Lafayette are so low on a list by a publication for entrepreneurs since they have scored so well in other rankings.

At any rate, we all know how screwy these things can be. I know you do SBC, remember when they put Shreveport as a small sized city? That's nonsense.

Anyway, good for Shreveport. They are certainly booming.

Congrats to Shreveport, from what I can tell things are going very well for them.

I will say that this list is a little fishy. In their interactive map of the top ten cities of each size (small, mid, large), fifteen were in Florida (that's half).

I also find it hard to believe that Baton Rouge and Lafayette are so low on a list by a publication for entrepreneurs since they have scored so well in other rankings.

At any rate, we all know how screwy these things can be. I know you do SBC, remember when they put Shreveport as a small sized city? That's nonsense.

Anyway, good for Shreveport. They are certainly booming.

You're correct, breaux. I got so mad at that one poll because I disagreed with it.

And I do agree with you: Baton Rouge and Lafayette both should be somewhere in that list of cities. No doubt in my mind. Of course seeing my own city on there makes me happy, but knowing those other two booming Louisiana cities aren't on there does raise a red flag. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw Jackson on there but not Little Rock. I know Jackson is doing very well also, but I really thought Little Rock was doing better in the areas represented by this list.

That is how I feel about these kinds of lists. I'm very happy to see my city, or any other Louisiana city get that kind of publicity, but don't put a whole lot of stock in them either. It's all about the publicity.

You're correct, breaux. I got so mad at that one poll because I disagreed with it.

And I do agree with you: Baton Rouge and Lafayette both should be somewhere in that list of cities. No doubt in my mind. Of course seeing my own city on there makes me happy, but knowing those other two booming Louisiana cities aren't on there does raise a red flag. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw Jackson on there but not Little Rock. I know Jackson is doing very well also, but I really thought Little Rock was doing better in the areas represented by this list.

I guess I'm also trying to figure out what they are considering mid sized cities. But I do agree that it would seem Little Rock would be on there if Jackson is. I don't know if I've seen this listing before. Nice to see my home metro doing so well. :D

I guess I'm also trying to figure out what they are considering mid sized cities. But I do agree that it would seem Little Rock would be on there if Jackson is. I don't know if I've seen this listing before. Nice to see my home metro doing so well. :D

In their methodology they consider small cities to have an employee base of less than 150,000 people; a mid-sized city with an employee base of 150,000 - 450,000 people; etc. I think there's a link about the people behind the ranking system... so that may provide some insight.

Archived