Wireless Internet in Memphis

bluff2085

I'm living in East Memphis for the summer and can pick up wireless internet in my house from other unsecured networks. Is this true in most parts of the city? Are there large areas that have been designated for wireless use? Does anyone know what kind of infrastructure Memphis has for wireless internet, if any? Just wondering...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone can provide wireless access. Most people shouldn't. All you really need is high speed internet access, and a wireless router (?). If you have this, and don't require password access, then your neighbor with a wireless adapter can use your internet access. I wouldn't do that without understanding the vulnerabilities of the system; i.e. the same person who uses his wireless adapter to get at your high speed internet access may also be able to use that adapter to access your computer info. And take into account the strength of the router and the strength of your adapter. And take into account the notion that you shouldn't take something that you didn't pay for and you don't have permission to access. Which is why I generally go to otherlands or some of those places for it.

In terms of public/municipal access, I don't know. The burbs should seriously think about installing such systems, as should downtown, Rhodes, and the medical center district.

What you are doing is likely stealing. Don't want to sound like a criminal? Ok, fine, it is leaching off of someone's bandwidth. Is it a sin? No. Is it improper? Yes. Is it immoral? No. So, do what your heart tells you!

What you are doing is likely stealing. Don't want to sound like a criminal? Ok, fine, it is leaching off of someone's bandwidth. Is it a sin? No. Is it improper? Yes. Is it immoral? No. So, do what your heart tells you!

I can always use my parents computer which has a cable connection. Thanks for the info

i know that virtually the entire campus of the University of Memphis is now wireless, as is Court Square Park and some others scattered throughout the city. I believe that Shelby Farms might be wireless as well.

i dont think shelby farms is wireless at all. Ive never seen server points anywhere, and I go biking on the trials there all the time during the summer.

i dont think shelby farms is wireless at all. Ive never seen server points anywhere, and I go biking on the trials there all the time during the summer.

Wireless has really long range, especially through open fields, so you probably could pick it up in Shelby Farms. I know that a lot of overton park is covered.

www.wifimaps.com has a good map of how well the city is covered by wifi access. At least in midtown and downtown, many businesses, restaurants, cafes (like otherlands)and bars (like Murphys) offer free wifi access. Where there's overlapping coverage, it is nearly impossible to determine whether the access point owner intended to make the signal publicly available or not. Its not even easily determined when your computer switches from one network to another network if they have the same name.

Its the owner's responsibility to secure the access point (as is often stated in many residential broadband agreements). And there are no laws in Tennessee against using a freely available wifi signal (some states do have laws against it).

In fact, it is so easy to secure an access point, that the owner is probably giving you implied permission to use the signal. I've set up dozens of wireless routers, and all of them make it extremely easy to secure, and all of them strongly encourage the buyer to secure the access point. I think that anyone who purchases a router and chooses not to secure it is making the signal freely available to all within range. After all, the signal came to you, and he is the only one that could have prevented you from using it. He also has the control over what sites you can access, and what hours youre allowed to access them. In fact one church in a small town outside Nashville that has a strong wifi signal that only lets you access G-rated sites.

I think that the owner wants you to use the signal, and that you should use it.

Great site, hgupta. Thanks

I also agree about it being easy to secure and open access being an implied invitation. I've driven from the Poplar/Ridgeway area to Midtown via both Park and Poplar with my laptop running a wifi detector software. I picked up over 100 hotspots on Poplar and 60 or so on Park & Central that were unsecured and freely accessible. Many were the name of a store. Many were at the UofM and other schools along that route.

Archived