COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what the Journal's say is worth:

As it stands, the project would include two towers; one a four-story parking garage and the other a roughly 20-story building with 325,000 to 350,000 square feet of office space separated from the parking garage by a glass-roofed retail and restaurant promenade.

Methinks the WBNA needeth to stay on its own damn side of the highway. After all, as they themselves argue, the highway acts as a physical barrier between downtown and the residential neighborhoods on the hills. You can't have your cake & eat it too: either the highway is a barrier, or it isn't.

For the record Gtech is "225,000" SF. Now I also want to note the building has been reported in the past as approximately 210,000 square feet office/retail- so 225,000 maybe even stretching it. (Floors 9 and 10 which are still available are 26,764 SF each.)

To give you an idea how big The Empire at Broadway is going to be at 325-350K SF. One Financial Plaza ( The big 28 floor white tower ) is 322,284 SF.

the problem is, the WBNA seems to think that west broadway (which doesn't really exist to begin with) extends into federal hill and includes the eastern end of broadway. i thought they existed to represent the armory district and other areas of the west end, but broadway isn't even part of the armory district, it's entirely in federal hill, which is not a very large neighborhood and should have its own neighborhood association.

For the record Gtech is "225,000" SF. Now I also want to note the building has been reported in the past as approximately 210,000 square feet office/retail- so 225,000 maybe even stretching it. (Floors 9 and 10 which are still available are 26,764 SF each.)

To give you an idea how big The Empire at Broadway is going to be at 325-350K SF. One Financial Plaza ( The big 28 floor white tower ) is 322,284 SF.

There will be passageway between the highrise (abutting B'way) and the lowrise (abutting Fountain Street) where they discussed a Food Court, or "Food Promenade." It's an indoor space with what appeared to be a glass roof that the public can walk through. It looks really nice and should add a very interesting component to the city. Think of a modern interpretation of the Arcade.

I'm probably speaking out of turn and in no way reflect the WBNA, but my impression is that while the WBNA's chief concern is the West Broadway area, they do consider development in Providence generally. That does make sense in a way -- PVD is one city, regardless of the neighborhood-centric approach. I don't know the WBNA's specific position on E@B.

There is no such neighborhood as West Broadway. It was coined by real estate agents and investors as a slick advertisement to get whites, artists, and outsiders to move there. It obviously worked. Valley is also another neighborhood that doesn't exist. The point of coining it that term is to differentiate it from O'ville. Olneyville equates to ghetto while Valley is hip.

all members of providence have the right to comment on all development in providence, regardless of whether their neighborhood is directly impacted or not. It is the very essence of anti-nimby and when we all think of providence as one organism, not 25 or 15 little tiny ones, then we get a better providence. I think we all saw that at the Providence Thomorrow stuff. I'd rather have 20 opinions that don't jibe with mine, than have no one give a sh*t, frankly.

Archived