COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

no temporary parking lots.

it is an embarassement to the city to have the entire gateway to downtown from 95 N surface parking. if that building comes down (and i don't think that it should, btw, i think that the facade can be used and i don't want to hear any cr@p from anyone except architects and engineers about how expensive it might be because with historic tax credits it can and should happen) then the day after it comes down, i want a groundbreaking with a new building driving piles that afternoon and i want the design of that building to have gone thru the vetting process that everyone else has to go thru regardless of how clueless or not DRC is (or isn't.) If the city hired actual land use lawyers in the solicitor's office, and staffed all the public meetings, the unpaid board and commissions would have a much easier time enforcing and understanding the regulations.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it is an embarassement to the city to have the entire gateway to downtown from 95 N surface parking. if that building comes down (and i don't think that it should, btw, i think that the facade can be used and i don't want to hear any cr@p from anyone except architects and engineers about how expensive it might be because with historic tax credits it can and should happen) then the day after it comes down, i want a groundbreaking with a new building driving piles that afternoon and i want the design of that building to have gone thru the vetting process that everyone else has to go thru regardless of how clueless or not DRC is (or isn't.) If the city hired actual land use lawyers in the solicitor's office, and staffed all the public meetings, the unpaid board and commissions would have a much easier time enforcing and understanding the regulations.

parking lots trump historic, sometimes shabby buildings for embarassment to a downcity trying to reinvent itself as a destination any day. Anyone who believes that surface parking, temporary or otherwise has a place in downtown providence should start their own message board honoring the important work that's been done at Route 2 in Warwick.

parking lots trump historic, sometimes shabby buildings for embarassment to a downcity trying to reinvent itself as a destination any day. Anyone who believes that surface parking, temporary or otherwise has a place in downtown providence should start their own message board honoring the important work that's been done at Route 2 in Warwick.

Like Brick, I am not a huge fan of the present structure. Granted, the facade along the side street facing the library has some presence and there are some niceish art deco plant reliefs on parts of the exterior that should be salvaged if the bldg comes down. The problem is that the most visible part of the structure is the utilitarian rear that faces Atwells. The parcel also contains a prominently sited parking lot that is unsightly and makes for a miserable gateway to downtown.

I think that few who would argue against tearing down the bldg would argue that it's great architecture. They either like it because it's a period piece, evoking film noir or Dragnet OR they could live without it but don't want to see yet another parking lot. That's definitely where I come down. As long as the building stands, it can either be rehabbed (fine) or replaced with something new (fine, maybe even better, as long as design standards are adherred to). A parking lot has the potential to just remain a parking lot, which is much more of a blight IMO than the status quo.

The argument that a bldg has to come down just because it's an eyesore is one that I am surprised that anyone in Providence would make. Many pieces of architecture here have been in this category at one time or another and now they're integral to the historic fabric of the city. Following this argument, we would have lost much of Benefit St., huge chunks of downtown, the Armory District, the list goes on.

I would ALWAYS rather see a shabby unoccupied building than a parking lot. Surface parking is eating up our entire downtown and it seems to only be increasing in the last year or two. I'm P!ssed about grants block, I'm p!ssed about all the acres of paveolino properties and I would be REALLY p!ssed about this.

• 3 months later...

I heard a rumor that TPG had some of the cornice removed from the building over the weekend so that water could get in and give them an excuse to turn it into a parking lot.

You'd think they would have learned from what happened with the Grove St. School, but I guess not.

Well to provide some balance to the rumor, they may have removed the cornice so that it wouldn't fall on someone later. They removed some windows on the Broadway side, but they have been boarded up. I'm not saying TPG is perfect, but they seem to take care of their properties, even if they'd rather tear them down (see the Fogarty Building).

Well to provide some balance to the rumor, they may have removed the cornice so that it wouldn't fall on someone later. They removed some windows on the Broadway side, but they have been boarded up. I'm not saying TPG is perfect, but they seem to take care of their properties, even if they'd rather tear them down (see the Fogarty Building).

I heard a rumor that TPG had some of the cornice removed from the building over the weekend so that water could get in and give them an excuse to turn it into a parking lot.

You'd think they would have learned from what happened with the Grove St. School, but I guess not.

though i doubt those are TPG's intentions, they need a demolition permit before they can tear down any part of that building. they weren't granted one. so regardless of where the boundaries are for the historic district, they should not be tearing down any buildings that they don't have a permit to tear down. i don't care if it's the public safety complex, the shepard building, or the "beautiful" BCBS building. they should not come down until a permit is granted.

I'm not opposed to TPG tearing it down, but they were denied a permit to demolish the building for temporary use as a parking lot. This action could be part of an end-run around that decision.

But as Cotuit points out, it could also be a public safety issue.

With what happened to the gas station and Grove St. I think people (myself included) are jumpy when they hear about things like this.

I'm not opposed to TPG tearing it down, but they were denied a permit to demolish the building for temporary use as a parking lot. This action could be part of an end-run around that decision.

But as Cotuit points out, it could also be a public safety issue.

With what happened to the gas station and Grove St. I think people (myself included) are jumpy when they hear about things like this.

Archived