COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are no good guys in development. They are all just money grubbing rat beotchs, and the City that paves the way (pun intended) for developers to tear down buildings with fake terror alerts issued by someone who doesn't even seem to be a structural engineer, about the imaginary state of the building and allow them tacit approvial of parking lots for an undetermined about of time is equally, if not more so, culpable in the denigration of the state of the city.

La plus ca change...

Don't even get me started, in response to the thought that they were "good guys."

As a Providence resident, you would only hope this is true, seeing as they have control of so many key properties downtown.

But try working for them on a job....

There are so many claims that things are changing for the better around here, but things like this make it really, really hard to believe there's any change going on at all. It makes me so incredibly sad. It's now perfectly legal to use eminent domain to stop these kinds of things, so why aren't we doing it? Desperate times...

True indeed. I had just started to have some faith in them because they have for the most part been coming to the table with reasonable plans and have been carrying through on promises, which is really all you can hope for.

I just cant wait for this wonderfull parking lot. Between it and the majestic Paveolino round gas station lot it will really bring the future of surface parking to the city. Almost as good as before the mall was built...

I wonder if they will have to landscape it, or if there will be a "creative work-around" for THAT too? Guesses? I am going to go with "none. ever." I bet they won't even have to deal with run-off. Yay! More Pollution! More Ozone Alert Days! More Asthma!

Updated post from ProJo:

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/newsbl...ing_ball_g.html

I wonder if they will have to landscape it, or if there will be a "creative work-around" for THAT too? Guesses? I am going to go with "none. ever." I bet they won't even have to deal with run-off. Yay! More Pollution! More Ozone Alert Days! More Asthma!

Dear Smug:

No one has said the project is not happening, and TPG is still selling a story that it is, but it is obvious from their eagerness to get a surface lot built, that it will take a while. I'm glad your self worth is being boosted by seeing the city scarred in such a way though.

Love,

Cotuit

As I am a firm believer in keeping to our past and as that was my educational background in college (historic preservation/architectural history), I do have to put forth that this structure, while architecturally significant, is plainly exhausted. By TPG knocking it down to refresh the neighborhood, and to bring in a lively renaissance to LaSalle Square like so many other parts of the city are experiencing and have experienced, this is a blessing. TPG will not rest on a parking lot... why do that when they can lease out prime office and retail space?? :lol: Seems to me to be the feasible idea.

As a side note, I also do work for TPG. I have to say that as a company, they are phenominal in what they bring. I am eagerly looking forward to the day that construction begins on the Empire project because that, as a whole, will be an impressive feature upon entry into the city. But for now, we will all continue to watch the police and fire hq fall down... and everyone on here will continue to complain and make remarks about yet another surface parking lot in the city. The lot is temporary. Just temporary until their plans can finally be set in place. End of story.

As I am a firm believer in keeping to our past and as that was my educational background in college (historic preservation/architectural history), I do have to put forth that this structure, while architecturally significant, is plainly exhausted. By TPG knocking it down to refresh the neighborhood, and to bring in a lively renaissance to LaSalle Square like so many other parts of the city are experiencing and have experienced, this is a blessing. TPG will not rest on a parking lot... why do that when they can lease out prime office and retail space?? :lol: Seems to me to be the feasible idea.

As a side note, I also do work for TPG. I have to say that as a company, they are phenominal in what they bring. I am eagerly looking forward to the day that construction begins on the Empire project because that, as a whole, will be an impressive feature upon entry into the city. But for now, we will all continue to watch the police and fire hq fall down... and everyone on here will continue to complain and make remarks about yet another surface parking lot in the city. The lot is temporary. Just temporary until their plans can finally be set in place. End of story.

I suppose when you get to skirt public process and the path laid out by the city, and get to sidestep the appropriate channels in order to get your project done*(or down as it may be) then it doesn't matter that the lot is just "temporary" because you don't even have an approved design for that site.

It isn't like at the end of the two years a building will magic itself into that spot.

If TPG doesn't have their financing in place (and i will assume not since they don't even have an approved site plan) then I don't expect that anything will happen there for a while. The owners have a two year temporary parking plan by right. After that they can just ask for it to stay a parking lot. So until ground is broken on this project, I will assume that is what the developers plan is--i big parking lot on which an historic building stood, across the street from a big parking lot on which an historic building stood and at the very gateway to downtown. Very lovely.

*This is the very definition of corruption by the way. Subverting a public process in order to get a result that you might not have gotten if you just followed the rules. Perhaps City Hall should be demolished next. Progress, and all that.

As I am a firm believer in keeping to our past and as that was my educational background in college (historic preservation/architectural history), I do have to put forth that this structure, while architecturally significant, is plainly exhausted. By TPG knocking it down to refresh the neighborhood, and to bring in a lively renaissance to LaSalle Square like so many other parts of the city are experiencing and have experienced, this is a blessing.

I am not sure how temporary.... one thing I know is that the police site currently is temporary parking for their neighboring Hilton... some guests but mainly employees. And while there is also the parking lot at the top of the hill where the gas station was, I do not think it is owned by TPG. I was under the impression that it was leased. The parking lots in that area.. are also not run by the company (TPG) but leased through a local valet company. As timelines change, in a discussion I had with one of the workers on site had mentioned it would be four years before the Empire project is completed. I am not sure how stable of a timeline that is because we all know that will change.

not to defend TPG, but since the first 'official' story in the PROJO, the new building has been proposed to be completed in 2010. That would mean that construction wouldn't probably begin until the end of 2008 at the earliest, more likely in early to mid 2009.

I wonder if they could at least build the parking garage component of the E@B project (with the necessary supports for the rest of the building above) until a corportate tenant can be finalized.

Archived