Ice Rink/Splash Ground Park Coming to Bentonville

mcheiss

With an estimated $700,000 price tag, a permanent ice rink and splash ground could make its way to downtown Bentonville by the end of the year.

The design has not been completed, but Dave Peel Park has been eyed as a prime spot for the structure because of the park

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the area well enough to suggest what park it might be best to put something like this in. But I still think it's interesting to get something like this. Bentonville has already testing out the temporary ice rink last year. I certainly wouldn't mind if other NWA cities looked into this as well. Although I certainly can't argue with Matt. A permanent indoor facility would be great as well. :D

I'd also like to point out in the spring and fall it would be turned into a fountain.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of the splash park if it's the same kind of splash park deal they have in Springfield. I'm just not sure Dave Peel Park is the right place for it. There are gardens in the front half of the park and a pavilion and lots of play structures in the back half. I guess getting rid of some of the gardens and lawn areas would still leave plenty of the park intact. It's really not a very big park, but most of it is gardens and lawns. If Bentonville is going to do it right they need to maybe expand it east a block to Town Branch Park and make it city park that's an attraction in itself. Integrating the parking lot between the two parks would be ideal and also the parking lot could be used for future expansion of the park when downtown completes the planned parking deck. Also, having the ice rink in Dave Peel Park is much better than sitting in the Harps(?) parking lot.

For anyone not familiar with Bentonville's Square area and the parks being mentioned here are some aerials that I hope are clear enough to understand.

Bentonville Square area (east side)

153960198_e2bd9101b7_o.jpg

Close-up of Dave Peel Park

153960199_9c5401c2aa_o.jpg

Thanks for the pics, that really helps out. How did you get those shots by the way? Looks like Google Earth.

Yeah they're from Google Earth. Simple way is to view an aerial shot in full screen and press your print screen key on your keyboard and then paste into a graphics program... hitting print screen on your keyboard actually takes a snapshot of whatever is on your monitor. I use MS Office Picture Manager. It pastes as a bitmap then I just open i in Paint and do the edits and save then I convert it to jpeg in Picture Manager.

Great Downtown Development, I must say.

Also, MasonsDad, looks like were catching up with Springfield, this would be a nice place for your family. :D

I'm not getting my hopes up anymore. I've nearly lost my faith in NWA ever becoming the kind of place I want to raise my son, but hearing about things like this ice rink/splash park and the multi-use arena and sports teams does give me a glimmer of hope. I just don't look forward to another letdown like the Makahiki Water Park that sunk a couple years ago.

I'm giving NWA some time to win my heart all over again. It'll take me at least a year to find a job in Springfield and save up enough money to move anyway.

^

Don't worry about Mahiki Beach, I know for a fact that Pinnacle is looking at locations, believe me, I have a connection over there. There focused on the Promenade right now, and than after October, plans should be unvieled.

And the Ice Skating Rink/Splash Ground Park looks very promissing, it sure is a great development.

Culture is coming to NWA, it's just taking a bit of time. Don't worry about missing out on it.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention this, but this was included in the Downtown Bentonville Master Plan. It looks like they are actually following a plan, ( I swear a first for NWA), which means hopefully more of the changes, like the Trolley are here to come.

It does seem that Bentonville is moving a bit slow toward their Master Plan, but things like the splash park and the new library and getting the restaurants into downtown are all part of the plan. A big sign is now up where the new 4-story Tate & Haney Building is going in downtown. There's a render, but I didn't slow down enough to get a look at it. There's nearly enough restaurants downtown to make the Trolley should be coming along soon. Bentonville is another downtown that will take some time to complete the Master Plan. But there is progress and that's always good.

Archived