Hispanic Center of Western Michigan

GRDadof3

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't find a topic on this, so I started a new one. The Hispanic Center of Western Michigan has begun doing renovations to the old firehouse at Hall and Grandville, with assistance from our esteemed colleagues at Bazzani Associates:

153666354_fb6c5b0ca9_b.jpg

153666355_ff58014f44_b.jpg

A related article.

What a great building.

It's awesome to see it get some TLC.

Uhuh! I'm hoping a fellow forumer may have a "before" picture. I should say 'before renovations began" picture.

Ok, as my last official duty of the day before vacation I'll post these for you. They aren't too much different that what's there now. Most of the work to date has been interior.

img09259na.jpg

hcwmsouthelevation23yv.jpg

Wow, thats very dissapointing to me. Two summers ago I spent half a day in that building doing field measurements becuase we were going to do the remodeling/preservation job for the Hispanic Center and Grandville Avenue Neighborhood Association. It was the second hottest day of that year and it was really stuffy and uncomfortable in there. I put together a set of conceptual plans and a renderred elevation, but at the time the two organizations only had a small anount of money were looking for some large donations and grants. Obviously they got a nice one from the Governor and decided to hire someone else. Admittedly Bazzani has more experience in historical preservation than we do, but its still dissapointing.

That firehouse was a "transitional" firehouse. They had a garage for a firetruck and one for a fire carriage. The back portion of the building had a stable for the horses and a hay loft up above.

Here are some of the pictures I took...

Inside the second floor, windows facing Hall Street. The old firepole is there.

firehouse01.jpg

Mural on the wall in what used to be the hay loft

firehouse02.jpg

The boarded up opening on the right was the entrance to the stable. The large window just to the left of there was a full height garage opening for the carriage (see the brick infill). Above that is where the hay came in and out of.

firehouse03.jpg

View from across Hall Street. The attic space had been infested with pigeons and the nasty stuff that they leave behind. It was really a mess.

firehouse04.jpg

firehouse05.jpg

The firemen hung their hoses in the tower to dry.

firehouse06.jpg

Finally, I did not take this picture. We found it at the library. Check out the old wood doors.

firehouseold.jpg

Inside the second floor, windows facing Hall Street. The old firepole is there.

firehouse01.jpg

The basic program stayed the same since you worked on it but it got changed around quite a bit. The entire second floor is now an assembly area. We had to reframe almost half of the floor to get it back to one level. We also reconfigured the structure so most of the second floor is clear span with no bearing walls we had to take out one bearing wall and two other columns to do it.

The entire first floor is offices with the new elevator and entry in the old stable area.

Mural on the wall in what used to be the hay loft

firehouse02.jpg

Sadly, this mural had to be sacrificed. We lost about 16" of it reframing the floor and decided to take it out because this area is now the second floor restrooms.

The boarded up opening on the right was the entrance to the stable. The large window just to the left of there was a full height garage opening for the carriage (see the brick infill). Above that is where the hay came in and out of.

firehouse03.jpg

The old stable entrance is the new main entrance to the building. We've got some pretty cool ideas for the openings to the hay loft and the infill where the garage doors used to be.

View from across Hall Street. The attic space had been infested with pigeons and the nasty stuff that they leave behind. It was really a mess.

Yes it was, we just cleaned it out last week. Yuck.

Finally, I did not take this picture. We found it at the library. Check out the old wood doors.

firehouseold.jpg.

That's a pretty cool one, I've got a couple of other ones that came from a retired fire captain in Lowell. I'll post them tomorrow when I get back to the office.

Nitro, I take it you work for Bazzani?

I do recall the structure of the building being funny (funny strange, not funny haha). We had a hard time trying to figure out what walls lined up with which columns below. That building is a piece of work to be sure.

Nitro, I take it you work for Bazzani?

I do recall the structure of the building being funny (funny strange, not funny haha). We had a hard time trying to figure out what walls lined up with which columns below. That building is a piece of work to be sure.

Yessir, I do. I'm the architect for this project.

The structure was very strange. Thankfully the fire station on Chester St. was the exact same footprint and a bit more "in the raw" as compared to Station #12. We were able to tour Chester St. and look at the structure a little closer.

TSlater - I do have the name of the mural artist around here somewhere. It's not coming to me so early after a holiday weekend. He is a very well known local hispanic artist. We had to take the mural off of the wall but we have a creative idea for what to do with it.

Here are a couple more historic photos that I have on file.

station12before19201sy.jpg

oldgrfdpictures1122zo.jpg

oldgrfdpictures1114ek.jpg

oldgrfdpictures1101yl.jpg

s6ry.jpg

TSlater - I do have the name of the mural artist around here somewhere. It's not coming to me so early after a holiday weekend. He is a very well known local hispanic artist. We had to take the mural off of the wall but we have a creative idea for what to do with it.

Jose Narezo?

• 1 month later...

Here are some progress pictures that I snapped today.

- 2nd Floor Assembly area

img17668za.jpg

- 1st layer of insulation on perimeter walls 1st floor

img17746en.jpg

- 1st floor office walls

img17861yv.jpg

- Hall St. Elevation

img17980oo.jpg

- Grandville St. Elevation

img18034kt.jpg

- Hose Tower

img18046vr.jpg