"Hollywood Reporter" touts Memphis music scene

sleepy

An interesting article about the indie rock scene in Memphis:

"Funky Memphis Keeps Hottest Music to Itself"

I'm too old for all that, but the writer was very impressed with the music, though less impressed with the lack of industry infrastructure supporting that music.

Compared to Nashville, he wrote:

"Memphis almost is a Bizarro World version of neighboring company town Nashville. All Memphis has a lot of is studios.

Well-capitalized indie labels are few; many performers issue music on their own hip-pocket imprints. Managers, attorneys and booking agents also appear in short supply."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/colum...t_id=1002538314

I think it's great that Memphis music comes from the street, it always has, that's why it's cool. I would hate for an industry to get in the way of that, but one would think that the city could do much, much more to support the creativity.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that article and I agree Memphis' music industry isn't as big as it could be. I honestly think the American Idol could have come from Memphis but they canceled the auditions because it was right after Katrina.

On another note, Justin Timberlake may bring back STAX.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/music/...4755516,00.html

What's most interesting on the Stax article is the reference to other labels coming here or emanating from here.

Ugghh... Justin Timberlake involvement with Stax is the worst idea ever. Why not start a new label in Memphis instead of ruining a perfectly good name?

That article is right on about Memphis. I think that cities that have too much of an industry feel always end up feeling contrived and pretentious so its definitely a good thing that there aren't too many entertainment attorneys, and managers, although it would be nice to have more booking agents and show promoters.

One thing that would help is if the radio stations to played more local music. We don't have a good college radio station like other cities, and the rock radio stations either don't play local music, or they imply that it is somehow inferior to national acts. When pushed to play memphis music, they always put it all into an hour long program when very few people are listening instead of mixing it in with everything else. Its odd seeing more attention of local bands in the national spotlight (like playing on letterman or leno), than at the local level. And all the bands mentioned in the article are very radio friendly.

Contrast this to the local rap stations that do an excellent job of playing Memphis music and sponsoring shows, so more people know about local hip hop artists and attend concerts.

• 11 months later...

Guess we won't have to worry much about a Timberlake-Stax connection...or a new Stax for that matter.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/music/...5561195,00.html

At least this article highlights Rey Flemings' lack of follow-through on just about every proposal he made while head of the Memphis Music Foundation. He talked big and accomplished little or nothing. Now they're back at square one in trying to revive Stax.

Guess we won't have to worry much about a Timberlake-Stax connection...or a new Stax for that matter.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/music/...5561195,00.html

At least this article highlights Rey Flemings' lack of follow-through on just about every proposal he made while head of the Memphis Music Foundation. He talked big and accomplished little or nothing. Now they're back at square one in trying to revive Stax.

Archived