Which state has the best Freeways?

flith

Best Interstates  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which state has the best interstates? To include pavement conditions, and capacity.

• Alabama
    • Arkansas
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Kentucky
    • Louisana
    • Mississippi
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • West Virginia

Florida does as well with a caveat, there need to be a lot MORE of them.

AMEN! Try going East-West in FL from one side to the other and make good time not using 75, 4 or 10. It's nearly impossible. A state w/17+ million people for one thing needs more freeways that connect say WPB to the west coast area of Sarasota/Bradenton and from the Daytona area to the Gulf Coast. Another thing FL needs to do is to extend the Suncoast P'way into Citrus County and to connect the Turnpike to US 19. A final need will be a freeway that connects the Panhandle coastal cities of P'cola to Destin/Ft. Walton to PC.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My vote goes to Tennessee, but Alabama's roads have improved greatly from a few years ago, especially along 65. The areas along that interstate that still have the original concrete will be paved in the next few years, starting with the portion through Montgomery, which is being repaved right now. IMO, 20 is ok, but it might need a little work right along the GA border. I have never been on 59, but I have heard that it's pretty bad north of Birmingham.

My vote goes to Tennessee, but Alabama's roads have improved greatly from a few years ago, especially along 65. The areas along that interstate that still have the original concrete will be paved in the next few years, starting with the portion through Montgomery, which is being repaved right now. IMO, 20 is ok, but it might need a little work right along the GA border. I have never been on 59, but I have heard that it's pretty bad north of Birmingham.

It is pretty bad north of Birmingham, but a rehab project is underway for all of the concrete portions of it from Trussville northeast to near Springville where an asphalt section begins.

I have to say that Florida has the best maintained roads and highways in the Southeast. Georgia would be a distant second, since there are still unimproved parts of I-95 that need to be fixed as well as other interstates and roads. However, GA is pretty good in comparison to my homestate of SC, unfortunately. Did you know that SC ranks 48th in the amount of money it spends on its roads and highways? And yet, SC is considered to have the 2nd most extensive highway system in the Southeast next to TX.

It's nice to see I-20 through South Carolina being repaved. Last I saw, a couple weeks ago, the westbound lanes in Aiken County were being repaved. The eastbound lanes are soon to follow. Some of the eastbound lanes are so warped, and the lines are so faded, that it's one of the poorest quality interstates in the south.

I-77 near the North Carolina border (Charlotte) is very nice. Wide, smooth, and nice.

I-85 through South Carolina is nice, depending on where you're at. West of Greenville, towards Georgia, the highway is nice, with the exception of Oconee County, a few miles portion which is only mediocre. I-85 around Gaffney, however, isn't that great. I-85 around Greenville is in much better shape than it once was, given that it was recently widened and resurfaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say Virginia. VDOT is the @#$t. They need to come and teach NCDOT a thing or two. I will say I-85 form Durham to G-boro is one of my favorite trips to take. It has an urban corridor feel to it. I love to drive it a night though. It is one of the few sections of interstate in NC with consistant lighting.

Archived