Wal-Mart moving out of a Louisiana town

dimebag1980

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yea, Baton Rouge's city limits are only about 79 sq. miles large. If Baton Rouge and EBR Parish consolidated, there would probably nowpost-Katrina be something like at least 470,000 people in 455 sq. miles of land.

Major Louisiana cities in size(sq. miles of land only)

New Orleans- 484,000 in 180 sq. miles of land

Baton Rouge- 224,000 in 79 sq. miles of land

Shreveport- 200,000 in 103 sq. miles of land

Lafayette- 110,000 in 47 sq. miles of land

Lake Charles- 72,000 in 42 sq. miles of land

Kenner- 70,000 in 15 sq. miles of land

Overall, Louisiana cities in general aren't that large in terms of sq. miles of land. If you stuck a 455 sq. foot city in there with Louisiana cities, it would seem very big, but that's not the case in many other states. That's another reason why city populations can be very misleading. Oklahoma City for example, would seem like a very big city, with its 525,000 city population figure, but that is in over 600 sq. miles of land. :huh: Compare that to Louisiana cities.

That means Lafayette has approximately 2,340 people per sq. mile, making it quite a bit more densely populated than Shreveport which comes in at approximately 1,942 people per sq. mile. Baton Rouge is more densely populated than both, though, with approximately 2,835 people per sq. mile in the city limits. Wow. But then look at Kenner... HOLY WOW... 4,667 people/sq. mile. And then New Orleans has approximately 2,689 people per square mile!?!? that just doesn't seem right to me. Baton Rouge is pretty densely packed-in, but moreso than New Orleans?? :shok:

Baton Rouge is pretty densely packed-in, but moreso than New Orleans?? :shok:

It would make sense to me. The figure you really want to look at when you're looking at population density and relative size are Urbanized Area(UA) Populations. For example, in 2000, New Orleans' UA population was about 1.1 million people in 198 sq. miles. The UA for New Orleans basically includes the populations of nearby cities on the Southshore. I don't have the UA population for Baton Rouge in front of me, but I'll try to find it.

It would make sense to me. The figure you really want to look at when you're looking at population density and relative size are Urbanized Area(UA) Populations. For example, in 2000, New Orleans' UA population was about 1.1 million people in 198 sq. miles. The UA for New Orleans basically includes the populations of nearby cities on the Southshore. I don't have the UA population for Baton Rouge in front of me, but I'll try to find it.

I guess I'm thinking of just how dense New Orleans looks.

That's pretty impressive...

It's definately not to bad for a city of its size.

For comparison purposes, here are the UA populations of some other cities:

Little Rock- 541,527

Lafayette- 178,079

Mobile- 317,605

Shreveport- 275,213

Thanks for the info Nate. I am suprised at the Little Rock figure, I guess North LR really boost the figure up.

Question ?? What do yall think of the new RSA/Battlehouse Tower going up in Mobile ? I can't believe a city that size is about to have something out of mid-town Manhattan. Taller than anything in New Orleans at 745 feet too, that just don't seem right ! I wish BR would go bold and do a mixed-use high-rise tower of at least 650 ft. !!!

Oh, I am sorry...weren't we supposed to be talking about Wal-Mart ?

Question ?? What do yall think of the new RSA/Battlehouse Tower going up in Mobile ? I can't believe a city that size is about to have something out of mid-town Manhattan. Taller than anything in New Orleans at 745 feet too, that just don't seem right ! I wish BR would go bold and do a mixed-use high-rise tower of at least 650 ft. !!!

The design looks nice, but this is a similar case with "The tallest building in the South" with BOA Plaza in Atlanta, and JPMorganChase Tower in Houston. RSA/Battlehouse Tower in Mobile will only be 35 stories, and the building itself, from what I've seen, as much as 250-300 feet of that 745 is spire. If you look at the rendering, you'll see just how much of the building is actually building, and how much of the building is actually spire. In New Orleans, One Shell Square is a full 697 feet tall, and in fact, no New Orleans tower has anything that could be considered a "height cheater."

Rendering:

241991.jpg

^I mean seriously, look at that. I don't consider that building to be 745 feet tall, sorry.

Either way, I doubt Mobile will have the tallest tower on the Gulf Coast for long. The 700 foot figure you see listed for Trump Tower New Orleans is old, from before the building was increased from 60 stories to 70. 10 stories in an upscale residential tower would add at least 125 feet to the building. Also, I've heard of multiple other major towers in the works for New Orleans, one 65 stories, and another 900+ feet tall.

It's definately not to bad for a city of its size.

For comparison purposes, here are the UA populations of some other cities:

Little Rock- 541,527

Lafayette- 178,079

Mobile- 317,605

Shreveport- 275,213

Wow, Little Rock's is much higher than I would have thought. It's exactly twice what Shreveport's is. WOW.

Oops... forgot...

SuperTarget rules, Wal-Mart drools!

SuperTarget rules, Wal-Mart drools!

I've never been to a SuperTarget. We have a normal Target here in that massive shopping center on Hwy. 21 off of I-12, and I prefer it over Wal-Mart overall anyway. I imagine the SuperTarget's are great.

I've never been to a SuperTarget. We have a normal Target here in that massive shopping center on Hwy. 21 off of I-12, and I prefer it over Wal-Mart overall anyway. I imagine the SuperTarget's are great.

I don't think there are any SuperTargets in metro New Orleans, though that surprises me. There are two in Baton Rouge now... Siegen and Millerville.

They have a SuperTarget on Youree in Shreveport, and while we desperately need one in Bossier, it looks like we're only getting a regular Target store. :cry:

SuperTarget is awesome, though. It's got a full grocery store and at least 1 franchise business in it. One in particular that I've been to in Dallas has a Pizza Hut inside it, though ours here has a Starbucks in it. Also, our SuperTarget here doesn't have a garden center but the one on Siegen, in Baton Rouge, does.

Really, or are you just talking crap?

Are the Starbucks and Pizza Hut actually INSIDE the Target store, and not attached??

No I'm serious, the Starbucks and Pizza Hut are both inside of the store, complete with an area to eat and a seperate little area for things like Icee's and Ice Cream. I thought all Target's had two stores like that actually.

No I'm serious, the Starbucks and Pizza Hut are both inside of the store, complete with an area to eat and a seperate little area for things like Icee's and Ice Cream. I thought all Target's had two stores like that actually.

Nope. Our SuperTarget has a Starbucks inside it and then the typical little "grill" all those discount stores have inside them that sells hot dogs, burgers, fries, and other junk food.

Nope. Our SuperTarget has a Starbucks inside it and then the typical little "grill" all those discount stores have inside them that sells hot dogs, burgers, fries, and other junk food.

We don't have one of those grill's inside of ours. I guess we got a Pizza Hut and a Starbucks instead of just one or the other and a grill. And that's just fine by me.

We don't have one of those grill's inside of ours. I guess we got a Pizza Hut and a Starbucks instead of just one or the other and a grill. And that's just fine by me.

Well you guys just suck. We got the Starbucks and the grill. Maybe it was because there's a Pizza Hut right around the corner... but yet there are also 3 Starbucks in that same block so who knows.

^^ We're talking about discount stores here, not Chevron or populations.

You, my friend, are off-topic.

HA!

:rofl:

Well then, you leave me no choice...

proposedwalmartprojecto8op.jpg

That right there, is the Colonial Nor du Lac Lifestyle Center about to begin construction in Covington. The Center includes A Wal-Mart Supercenter and a Sam's Club, so....BURN!....kind of.

Alright so I lost...but I'll be back!

Archived