Federal Courthouse

ATLBrain

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone confirm that the moratorium on building federal courthouses has ended? If so, then will the new courthouse (aka the DT Embassy Suites) start soon?

I haven't hear anything for a log time about the project. I consistently check the government main bid web site and there has been nothing released. Someone else may know more. I certainly hope so.

Can someone please give a brief history on the possibility of a new federal courthouse in Nashville. Were they thinking of building one and then backed out? Did they start excavating and stop? Where were they gonna put one? Is the one on upper Broadway not big enough?

They are planning to build one, and had Michael Graves design the building, and the renderings here somewhere, but that's as far as they got. It'll be on Church Street. Eventually, it'll get built, but it doesn't look like that'll be too near in the future. It's not really on the top of my get built lists for Nashville, though. But that's just me.

Can someone please give a brief history on the possibility of a new federal courthouse in Nashville. Were they thinking of building one and then backed out? Did they start excavating and stop? Where were they gonna put one? Is the one on upper Broadway not big enough?

Here it is. What do you think?

Courthouse.jpg

^^ I know the question isn't for me, but I'm still astounded that anyone involved could be proud of this building. Did this design involve MDHA at all, or are they completely excluded/powerless in the case of a federal building? The squatty dome thing is silly. Now, if they pushed that part of the building all the way up past the roofline, it would make more sense. It might look like a big glass silo, tho. Sorry, no more complaining. Hopefully this will never get built, because this block would be the best place for another Nashville supertall. Signature's companion, if you will. I would much rather see the current FC buildings demolished and replaced by a grand new FC on Broadway. Who do I call to pitch my idea? :-)

^^ I know the question isn't for me, but I'm still astounded that anyone involved could be proud of this building. Did this design involve MDHA at all, or are they completely excluded/powerless in the case of a federal building? The squatty dome thing is silly. Now, if they pushed that part of the building all the way up past the roofline, it would make more sense. It might look like a big glass silo, tho. Sorry, no more complaining. Hopefully this will never get built, because this block would be the best place for another Nashville supertall. Signature's companion, if you will. I would much rather see the current FC buildings demolished and replaced by a grand new FC on Broadway. Who do I call to pitch my idea? :-)

I'm with you. I normally don't say bad things about urban design, because most of it is pretty cool. But this building is crap. crapola. crapolooski.

If they are going to build a courthouse, make it look courtish and intimidating for the love of god.

Not my favorite design but this is a done deal. The feds already have taken over the property for a the courthouse so even if it takes a while it will be the site. The block is abandoned except for remnants of the old Toy Museum. They feds are so short of space that this will be the courthouse and the present courthouse will bring together all the federal offices that are currently scattered around the city.

As someone who lives across the street from the site I want something to start soon, the block is presently an eyesore and a haven for vagrants.

Because this building is located on Church St which is beginning to look like a canyonlike street you might find on Manhattan island, I think the building should have been built much taller. Maybe they could have used half of that huge lot, and could have saved a lot of money by selling the other half. I think that would have been much more in character of Church St.

Because this building is located on Church St which is beginning to look like a canyonlike street you might find on Manhattan island, I think the building should have been built much taller. Maybe they could have used half of that huge lot, and could have saved a lot of money by selling the other half. I think that would have been much more in character of Church St.

They probably want to occupy the whole block for security reasons. Wasn't there earlier speculation on this thread that that's why the building is set back off the street and screened by so much foliage and such?

They probably want to occupy the whole block for security reasons. Wasn't there earlier speculation on this thread that that's why the building is set back off the street and screened by so much foliage and such?

They could still have the veritable forest for security reason, have all the floor space they need design a building more in character with Church St., and occupy less land if they build up. That's what I was trying to say.

Construction starts in October 2006. Demolition to take place this summer. They are in the final design review stages now.

Per Federal Guidelines after 9/11 there must be 50 feet of frontage on all sides of the building. The now sold toy museum will also be torn down. Those who bought it for 2.1 million will probably get 3 million from the government.

Bzorch gave us this information at the April forum meet.

Construction starts in October 2006. Demolition to take place this summer. They are in the final design review stages now.

Per Federal Guidelines after 9/11 there must be 50 feet of frontage on all sides of the building. The now sold toy museum will also be torn down. Those who bought it for 2.1 million will probably get 3 million from the government.

All very disappointing. I've found myself growing more and more opposed to this project as it is a badly underutilized realization for this block (a major highrise is far more logical and justified for Church Street) and the design, most of us agree, is subpar and very tacky (a suburban Embassy Suites). It's too bad we can't lobby Jim Cooper and the RINO Doublemint Twin Senators to put the kibosh on this project or at least have it sent back to the drawing boards. :(

All very disappointing. I've found myself growing more and more opposed to this project as it is a badly underutilized realization for this block (a major highrise is far more logical and justified for Church Street) and the design, most of us agree, is subpar and very tacky (a suburban Embassy Suites). It's too bad we can't lobby Jim Cooper and the RINO Doublemint Twin Senators to put the kibosh on this project or at least have it sent back to the drawing boards. :(

I agree! This property will be grossly underutilized with this project. A different piece of property off Church St. would be better suited for a project like this.

I agree! This property will be grossly underutilized with this project. A different piece of property off Church St. would be better suited for a project like this.

If it's to be on Church, I'd stick it clear out in midtown, well beyond 14th, on one of the non-descript blocks where demolition of a one-story building with a surrounding parking lot would be of no particular loss. Use it as an anchor for redevelopment out there.

Well at least they are going to put something there. It could be a whole lot worse.

I think at this point I would settle for a Krystal and a Hardee's.

Aim high. :blink:

MDHA has no jurisdiction or input into this federal project. The GSA and judges controlled. I agree with the many others who have said that this is truly a horrible design--banal, derivative and just plain ugly. It's hearbreaking to see this much money spent on such a high profile location and with a big name architect to produce such a breathtakingly bad design. Oh well.

The following post was brought to my attention. I must say that I am disappointed that these statements have been attributed to me. I have no knowledge of any of these facts and did not make these statements at the meeting. I remember there was a brief conversation about when it would be opened. I recall speculating that even if it started that day that it would likely be 2008 before it opened.

I do hope the Toy Museum does find a new owner and they are able to find a good use for it so that it can remain.

The following post was brought to my attention. I must say that I am disappointed that these statements have been attributed to me. I have no knowledge of any of these facts and did not make these statements at the meeting. I remember there was a brief conversation about when it would be opened. I recall speculating that even if it started that day that it would likely be 2008 before it opened.

I do hope the Toy Museum does find a new owner and they are able to find a good use for it so that it can remain.

The NBJ recently reported that a Dukes of Hazzard Museum is taking the Toy Museum space.

The NBJ recently reported that a Dukes of Hazzard Museum is taking the Toy Museum space.

Seriously? :blink: I have never tied that television series with Tennessee in the slightest, seems like an odd placement, unless its one of a chain of such museums or something. That would be a very interesting development IMO, and one I would be most interested in seeing how it faired commercially.

Archived