Federal Courthouse

ATLBrain

That is absolutely hilarious... of course, where's the Tennessean on something this revealing?

Let's see if I got this right: Frist couldn't get any of the funds for a courthouse that has been on the boards for years... but as a consolation prize, the courthouse will be named for him. That's as stupid as agreeing to pay for a new Porsche for your next door neighbor and being happy to allow him to park it in your driveway.

That guy can't get out of there early enough for me. Now if you can get rid of Jim Cooper in the deal, you guys may be able to get some real leadership up there. Who's running against cooper?

Cooper has an opponent in the Dem primary, otherwise his lone GOP opponent is listed as Tom Kovach: http://tk-05-tn.net/Pages/Frames/main.html

I'd agree Frist has been a considerable disappointment (though not nearly as bad as RINO Lamar!), and has been one of the single most ineffective majority leaders in years.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article from the CP this morning. A lot more info in this than the previous one posted.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=51150

You know, I'm thinking a law ought to be passed to bar the naming of federal buildings (and/or any other facilities, including post offices) for LIVING current and former members of Congress. I think this practice has gotten ridiculously out of hand, and that goes for both parties.

You know, I'm thinking a law ought to be passed to bar the naming of federal buildings (and/or any other facilities, including post offices) for LIVING current and former members of Congress. I think this practice has gotten ridiculously out of hand, and that goes for both parties.

I'd settle for a law that says a building CANNOT be named for someone who didn't secure funding for it.

I agree; federal buildings should be like stamps and money: you have to be dead first. It should be considered an honor to have your name on a federal building, but instead all these guys have their buddies "recomend" the naming.

I especially think if you secure funding for a project, your name should NOT be on the building. Then maybe we won't have all these porkbarrel projects and bridges to nowhere just because a politician wants their name out there.

I with you, brother. Still, I wonder if such a law would slow down pork barrel spending at all. The only way to stop it, is for the people to vote against pork barrel spenders. I just don't ever see that happening.

• 2 months later...

Don't know when the courthouse will start, but a "bird" on the street told me that the Berger building has been sold (as evidenced by the absence of the toy museum) and will probably become a modern furniture store (or something like that), maybe a new restaurant and living quarters upstairs. No details, but while the courthouse site sits waiting for the shovels, the block isn't totally without rumblings. 8th is moving along with the new gallery space, the flower shop, The Standard....not to mention the improved streetscape. I think when all is said and done and the courthouse is sitting there, most who profess to not like it will soon forget they don't like it. It'll be an interesting addition to a block where asphalt has ruled for way too long.

Josh Smith who bought the New Standard house and the building where the flowershop is bought this building. (The Berger Building).

He made an offer for the Nashville Sporting Goods building, but the guy at the sporting goods store adamantly told me he would never sell the building to anyone no matter how nice 8th avenue became. He said he will not upate the building for any reason, as he blew his cigarette smoke in my face which seemed to be an invitation to leave.

That's the north side of their distribution center. The whole complex is pretty huge. Irony about the former Baptist Sunday School Board, now Lifeway, is that on one side where the columned building is was the Townhouse Tea Room and Gaslight Lounge, gay restaurant (well, gay owned) and a gay bar. Now, next to the distribution center on Church are two after hours bars which have some really interesting kids standing around at 8 a.m. on weekend mornings. Interesting sets of co-existence history in this area.

Don't know when the courthouse will start, but a "bird" on the street told me that the Berger building has been sold (as evidenced by the absence of the toy museum) and will probably become a modern furniture store (or something like that), maybe a new restaurant and living quarters upstairs. No details, but while the courthouse site sits waiting for the shovels, the block isn't totally without rumblings. 8th is moving along with the new gallery space, the flower shop, The Standard....not to mention the improved streetscape. I think when all is said and done and the courthouse is sitting there, most who profess to not like it will soon forget they don't like it. It'll be an interesting addition to a block where asphalt has ruled for way too long.

I thought that the Toy Museum was going to be taken by eminent domain... or at least there was discussion on the greater security of the building (Courthouse) with the whole block. It's actually a very nice looking building as I recall.

Many of the trains were donated to the Smithsonian in DC.

Concerning the Sporting goods building: If the owner is old and smoking like a factory he will not have to worry about selling the building. His family will sell it when he dies and he will not be able to blow smoke in anybody's face then. Its only a matter of time.

It looks as if Josh is going to own most of the significant buildings on 8th and we will not have to worry about his family demolishing any of those old jewels.

Archived