Murfreesboro Pics

Justiceham

I was out the other day and thought it was about time to post some pics of my hometown. Murfreesboro is seeing many changes these days (puberty). It is shedding its smalltown image while still holding on to its community's values. Currently, Murfreesboro is the sixth largest city in TN an boasts an estimated population of 100,000^.

Am South Bank Tower

000_0082.jpg

City Hall

f36933a4.jpg

Police Department

000_0081.jpg

A View of Downtown

ff9dd441.jpg

Pinnacle Bank Towers

000_0078.jpg

Maple Street

000_0077.jpg

West College Street

000_0083.jpg

The Red Rose Cafe (Now Closed for Business)

000_0084.jpg

Patterson Park Community Center

000_0086.jpg

The Rotunda

000_0080.jpg

Discovery Center At Murfree Spring Wildlife/Wetland Preservation Area

000_0085.jpg

One of Mark Pirtle's Twin Office Towers (Another 8 story tower will adjoin these two when completed)

OneGatewayDevelopment.jpg

Apologies for smaller pics (they're automatically resized when over 1MB).

Edited by Justiceham

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics. I use to frequent "da boro" when I lived in Lebanon. Its a really nice town and looks almost exactly like Desoto County, MS. Like Desoto, traffic on the main road (Old Fort Pkwy) is horrible. Are there any plans to make going from Eastbound Old Fort onto Northbound I-24 any easier? Having to cross those three lanes is pretty hair raising.

Edited by Bears

Nice pics. I use to frequent "da boro" when I lived in Lebanon. Its a really nice town and looks almost exactly like Desoto County, MS. Like Desoto, traffic on the main road (Old Fort Pkwy) is horrible. Are there any plans to make going from Eastbound Old Fort onto Northbound I-24 any easier? Having to cross those three lanes is pretty hair raising.

Yes, there are several road plans slated for Murfreesboro's urban growth. If you look on the city's website, you'll find the 25 year major thoroughfare plan. The city has adopted new city design standards, which will eliminate anymore Old Fort Parkways. Currently, there are 40 road projects going on around the city to ease traffic congestion. I-24 has been widened to 8 lanes through Old Fort Parkway and is under construction through Joe B. Jackson Parkway. The biggest problems affecting Murfreesboro's traffic congestion is a lack of interchanges, bottlenecks, and no belt/loop like the other major cities in TN have.

Edited by Justiceham

Thanks for posting the pictures! Murfreesboro really is undergoing some dramatic changes that are making this beautiful city even more spectacular. I am excitedly looking forward to the next stage of this continuing transformation.

OMG, I used to work for Thrifty Car Rental and had to go to fill the cars up at that gas station off of West College Street my junior year; it was filty in there. :sick:

Edited by AmandaHugginkiss

Nice pics. Im actually suprised as I always thought it was smaller than that. For some reason I was thinking it was more of a 30-40,000 peep town. I think I might need to pay a little more attention to the Nashville area.

OMG, I used to work for Thrifty Car Rental and had to go to fill the cars up at that gas station off of West College Street my junior year; it was filty in there. :sick:

I didn't say it was perfect, but it is a beautiful city overall in my opinion. Just walk along the Stones River Greenway Trail or drive through the Gateway Overlay District, and I think you'll see what I mean.

Great to see some more Mufressboro pics! I am of course a big fan of seeing smaller cities and towns on the forum, so I really enjoyed this thread immensely!

Downtown looks very clean and modern with some really nice newer structures. I like that it appears many of the new downtown buildings are sticking to a similar red-brick theme that is pretty classy IMO for shorter structures if done right.

How is the town's atmosphere downtown? Is it retaining a lot of its older historic commerical district feel, or is it gaining a more modern bustling office 9-5 downtown vibe?

I think the prettiest parts of M'boro are those tree lined streets that radiate from downtown with those enormous homes with the columns on them. It's a beautiful sight in late October.

I was just thinking that Brain. I'm working with Believer's Tabernacle near the center of town and I was down there last fall and it was incredible! The leaves were indescribable. You're right about those houses too. Very worth the trip.

Great to see some more Mufressboro pics! I am of course a big fan of seeing smaller cities and towns on the forum, so I really enjoyed this thread immensely!

Downtown looks very clean and modern with some really nice newer structures. I like that it appears many of the new downtown buildings are sticking to a similar red-brick theme that is pretty classy IMO for shorter structures if done right.

How is the town's atmosphere downtown? Is it retaining a lot of its older historic commerical district feel, or is it gaining a more modern bustling office 9-5 downtown vibe?

The downtown atmosphere is mostly safe and serene. It still retains it's older historic commercial district feel which might hurt it in the long run. There are clubs, restaurants, boutiques, yes, but I hear many of my peers comment on how there are not enough things to do at night and that it would be nice if our city adopted an entertainment district with an arcade, laser tag, teen clubs, recording studios, video bars, and an acknowledgement of our gay population (adult book stores, alternative club settings, etc.). Even Clarksville has a pride festival. There was once a rumor of a 20 story tower going up downtown, but mostly the downtown is seeing new tenants in older buildings. The city's main focus is on roads, residential, retail, commercial, and lastly industrial in outlaying areas, not downtown office/mixed use towers. I feel that the reason why we're behind is because of an underexperienced planning department. They continue to advertise the area as a "small town" and neglect the proper planning needed for a growing metro.

Edited by Justiceham

I wasn't downing Murfreesboro, I was saying that particular gas station was filthy on the inside. I too think that Murfreesboro is nice and growing at extremely high rates. I like the college atmosphere. Sorry if anyone else takes my comments the wrong way.

It's cool. It's just that you quoted my comment about Murfreesboro's beauty before making your original stament, which genuienly confused me, so I just felt I would reply and defend my quoted statement. :) No worries!

the atmosphere downtown is very laid back. during the day downtown is full of the people going to the small shops and cafes, and at night it's got quite a bit of stuff going on, but most is for the 21-up crowd. i hope it doesn't change that much. as much as i like skyscrapers, i don't really want to see one close to the square. the one that's there right now (well our closest thing to a skyscraper) is a little awkward looking.

I think laser tag would be a great addition to the city, though not anywhere downtown. Am I right in saying that there aren't any laser tag venues in the Boro currently? I recall last year my church youth group had to go elsewhere (I believe somewhere in Nashville) to play laser tag.

I think laser tag would be a great addition to the city, though not anywhere downtown. Am I right in saying that there aren't any laser tag venues in the Boro currently? I recall last year my church youth group had to go elsewhere (I believe somewhere in Nashville) to play laser tag.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a Laser Tag facility on 2nd Avenue in downtown Nashville ?

I passed through that area last weekend and saw that I-24 is being widened to about the 86-mile marker. That takes it past the 231 exit (almost all the way to the Joe Johnson Parkway). It appears to have just been started.

I don't know anything about an exit at SR-99. Do you know if one is planned? Many many trees on both sides of I-24 a couple of miles west of 231 exit are down and a lot of dirt visible. It certainly looked like a new exit was being built, but I don't know for sure.

Edited by ATLBrain

I passed through that area last weekend and saw that I-24 is being widened to about the 86-mile marker. That takes it past the 231 exit (almost all the way to the Joe Johnson Parkway). It appears to have just been started.

I don't know anything about an exit at SR-99. Do you know if one is planned? Many many trees on both sides of I-24 a couple of miles west of 231 exit are down and a lot of dirt visible. It certainly looked like a new exit was being built, but I don't know for sure.

SR-99 is currently under construction for a new intercahnge and widening to five lanes from Middle Tennessee Boulevard to Eagleville. The plans are not only to ease congestion from Church Street but also to have a brand new entracnce for students attending MTSU, a direct route. New Salem Highway is slated for many upscale and/or high end housing developments including Three Rivers and a few near the Rockvale school already underway. When completed Three Rivers will include a large retail development, public square, class A office space, walking trails, and medium size artificial lake/marina.