Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atownrocks

What is with our Mayor?

8 posts in this topic

I keep hearing all this talk on the possibility of a MLB team coming to Charlotte. There is an article in Wikipedia about the Flordia Marlins. Our Mayor does not think that Charlotte can handle a team. Give me a break. He say's Charlotte does not have the population to support a team. Last time I checked 2 million people living in the Charlotte area is nothing to sneeze at. I know this has already been discussed but, I got so ticked of I felt I had to express my feelings. This would be great for Charlotte. If this was to happen basically Charlotte will have every sports venue. We already have Basketball, Football, Golf, NASCAR. All we need is a baseball team and a hockey team. And I don't mean the Charlotte Knights. What kind of Mayor say's that there is there city can't handle a professinal sports team. I mean for gosh sakes Oklahoma City's Mayor thinks his city can handle one. What do you guys think??

In the 18th Century, George Washington called Charlotte a "trifling place".

We all know that his reflection is certainly not true of today's Charlotte.

But if the mayor is poo-pooing his own city, then he is a trifling mayor.

If you were Mayor with future political aspirations would you.

A) Take credit for a "back room deal "that is a sure thing if they can keep the shady details out of the public eye?

B) Go do the very hard work to convince a lot of people that Charlotte is good for MLB and get the support for the local financing need to do it, knowing that after the hard work it's still not a sure thing.

C) Call Tippens & Zurosky

Funny, Nascar asks for anything and the Mayor worships at their feet throwing money at them and pushing for the whole city to be named after a sport. But he won't give equal support to other projects. It comes down to his personal opinion. He puts that in front of most issues facing the city to the detriment of its residents instead of the greater good. If King Pat does not like it, its wrong. :rolleyes:

Perhaps he sees the interest by the Marlins for what it is...a play by their ownership to get a better deal from Miami for a new ballpark, and does not want his city to be used in that effort...

C) Call Tippens & Zurosky

:rofl: OMG... That was fun. "Cuz we will fight and fight and fight and fight to make sure justice is done to our clients." I sure do miss those stupid commercials...

Maybe he is still burnt from the heat of the basketball arena and isn't ready for that kind of fight again. For some reason, and I have no idea why and don't know enough about baseball to understand, most movers and shakers downtown don't think we can get MLB. This includes Micheal Smith of Center City Partners - he has come out and said he thinks Charlotte can only support a minor league team. I am far from a supporter of our dear and misguided mayor, but I do think Mr. Smith might have a better idea of what works and what doesn't -- maybe not -- but for some reason no one seems to take the idea of the majors very seriously.

Maybe the mayor thinks the area is getting oversaturated with sports teams. Sure the CSA is 2M+, but that doesn't mean that it should get everything at once. And OKC isn't a good example to use since the Hornets is the only major league pro team it has, and had it not been for a natural disaster, it wouldn't even have that. Charlotte will not dissipate, nor will people stop moving here, if the city doesn't get a major league baseball team anytime soon. I believe that the majority of people that do want it want it simply because of bragging rights and not because of a lack of sports options in the metro, because there is none.