Greenville County looking at connectivity of neighborhoods

gs3

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a step in the right direction. I know the planners have been pushing for this kind of thing for awhile. Let's hope the powers-that-be will be on board. (Hardly a given.) I hope that connectivity requirements are made for non-residential developments as well.

I have been trying to convice the Greer zoning dapartment for months about going in this direction. I was very suprised to see this in the paper this morning, but was very glad to see it is being considered. Lets hope that all the NIMBY's and grass roots anti developement crowd does not squash it.

Ranting starts here....

Does anybody else find it a bit strange that most of the people that are for the cul-de-sac's like them because they can let their kids run aound and play in the street......whatever happened to the golden days when you got yelled at by your parents for runnning around in the road....now peole are setting up basketball goals in them?

"Dana Potter said Harrow Court traffic consists mostly of residents and delivery drivers. He and his kids, ages 2 and 6, played basketball in the middle of the street without a single car driving by about the time rush hour was starting.

"Cul-de-sacs are perfect for young kids," Potter said"

:thumbsup: great parenting there..."Hey kids, why don't you go play in the middle of the road"

"I love the fact that the only people who come out here are people who live here," parent Cindy Van Every said. "And they watch for the kids because they know."

again, keep your kids out of the road and you don't have to worry about it.

does nobody have a yard anymore that their kids can play in...you know the large patch of grass in front and back of a house...that's what that is for.

...okay i think i'm done.

I agree with 100% with your rant! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I saw this first hand with some friends and their kids......was at their house, and my friend told his kids not to play on the lawn because they would beat the grass down. (This couple does have a beautiful, picture perfect, green, manicured lawn, but still....). So anyway, he suggested to his kids they play in the driveway and street....I just snickered. :D

Ranting starts here....

Does anybody else find it a bit strange that most of the people that are for the cul-de-sac's like them because they can let their kids run aound and play in the street......whatever happened to the golden days when you got yelled at by your parents for runnning around in the road....now peole are setting up basketball goals in them?

"Dana Potter said Harrow Court traffic consists mostly of residents and delivery drivers. He and his kids, ages 2 and 6, played basketball in the middle of the street without a single car driving by about the time rush hour was starting.

"Cul-de-sacs are perfect for young kids," Potter said"

:thumbsup: great parenting there..."Hey kids, why don't you go play in the middle of the road"

"I love the fact that the only people who come out here are people who live here," parent Cindy Van Every said. "And they watch for the kids because they know."

again, keep your kids out of the road and you don't have to worry about it.

does nobody have a yard anymore that their kids can play in...you know the large patch of grass in front and back of a house...that's what that is for.

...okay i think i'm done.

Or better yet, how about a small or no yard to densify development and have a large neighborhood park where everyone can play basketball, baseball, soccer and volleyball?

Or better yet, how about a small or no yard to densify development and have a large neighborhood park where everyone can play basketball, baseball, soccer and volleyball?

HAHA Oh no, don't densify the development! Scuffletown Rd people will be after you with torches and pitchforks!!! :rofl: (for the record, i understand where they're coming from... BUT it's progress and they're the ones who want to live in suburbia... you get what you bargain for!)

I agree a park to play would be ideal!

I don't think it'll fly. Could be my perceptions are flawed, but that sounds too much like a housing project.

I don't think it'll fly. Could be my perceptions are flawed, but that sounds too much like a housing project.

I think it's a common misconception... simply due to the fact that housing "projects" are typically designed in this manner. However, so are new urbanist designs. I don't think anyone would make same "housing project" connection with those.

Archived