Miami Arena

Gumsandals

Regarding an earlier post suggesting the Miami Arena be torn down, I would hate to see that happen. Instead, why not think in terms of it becoming Cirque Soleil's new headquarters? The arena is in the designated entertainment district. Instead of spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer's dollars to build something on the beach, why not retrofit that huge space? Heck, with a little ingenuity, the old Arena could be reborn as a Cirque "tent" with a stretched fabric facade rising to a center "tent pole" over the existing roof.

Also, I keep seeing Miami some day becoming an Olympic city. With the "extra" arena, the Summer Games could split indoor events like gymnastics, basketball, etc between the two arenas while the Orange Bowl handles track and field, soccer, etc. Hopefully by then, the Orange Bowl will be linked by mass transit so anyone attending the Games can get about easily. Rowing could be held at a revamped Miami Marine stadium (instead of tearing it down) and of course Biscayne Bay can take care of the sailing events. Hotel infrastructure is already built in so I would think hosting the games wouldn't cost as much as most do. Opening and closing ceremonies? Why not have them on the beach-- or on Biscayne Blvd.? Just some ideas. I'm curious about your thoughts on them and look forward to reading the posts.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole transit idea is cool, but I think the Miami Arena should be kept as it is (structure), but renovated. The Panthers should move back in instead of staying at the Bank Atlantic Center in the middle of nowhere.

I would also like to rant about the Marlins Stadium location. Why are they building it in H-Leah? STADIUMS BELONG IN DOWNTOWNS OF BIG CITIES.

The whole transit idea is cool, but I think the Miami Arena should be kept as it is (structure), but renovated. The Panthers should move back in instead of staying at the Bank Atlantic Center in the middle of nowhere.

I would also like to rant about the Marlins Stadium location. Why are they building it in H-Leah? STADIUMS BELONG IN DOWNTOWNS OF BIG CITIES.

They're trying to build it in Hialeah because building these things are way costly and Hialeah is promising them financial incentives. If team owners can't get public dollars to offset the cost, they usually flee to another municipality that will. If this was a perfect world, a new baseball stadium would be built next to the Orange Bowl and connected to Metrorail.

I like the idea of moving Cirque to the old arena. But please renovate it. I look at it and think "Miami Vice." If it could be renovated and made into a viable entertainment space that would complement the AA Arena, then go right ahead!

And I love the idea of Miami being an Olympic City!!!

I like the idea of moving Cirque to the old arena. But please renovate it. I look at it and think "Miami Vice." If it could be renovated and made into a viable entertainment space that would complement the AA Arena, then go right ahead!

And I love the idea of Miami being an Olympic City!!!

Thanks, UL for your thoughts. Regarding Miami as an Olympic City, it is truly worthy. Once this idea is planted, maybe it will take root and grow into something real.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, UL for your thoughts. Regarding Miami as an Olympic City, it is truly worthy. Once this idea is planted, maybe it will take root and grow into something real.

Take a look at a "Cirque du Soleil Miami" rendering at: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/911/290...CirqueMiami.jpg

It seems more viable than the MiamiMegaplex idea which included a baseball stadium and hotel.

• 1 year later...

2 years since last post. I revived this thread because there is no suitable thread about what to do with Miami Arena. Is it supposed to remain vacant for the rest of its life because we cannot find a proper use for it? Sooner or later, there are going to be lots of cobwebs in its interior.

• 4 months later...

Archived