Why move to Charlotte?

I currently live in Columbia, SC and am considering moving to Charlotte. I like it here in Columbia (have lived here for 5 years), but my girlfriend and I are seriously considering moving to Charlotte when we get married. Currently, I do church music part time and work in commercial insurance full time. She will work and teach dance part time. I guess my question is how will Charlotte compare to Columbia? I am a fairly traditional southern guy and the same goes for my girlfriend. We both love and appreciate the arts, and I love sports. We enjoy a moderate pace of life (not too fast or slow). Any insight from you guys would be helpful, especially people who have actually lived in both cities.

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading your post it sounded like you were describing Charlotte. I'm a very big sports enthusiast, and if you're interested in them, Clt is perfect. Panthers, Bobcats, 49ers, NASCAR, Wachovia Golf tourn, Knights, Checkers, Sting, etc. Also, the arts will be getting a major boost very soon, and they're already pretty good.

I've lived in Both Columbia & in Charlotte......I went to school in Charlotte and even when i wasnt going to school in Charlotte I would always drive back and forth just to shop, eat, or hang out in Charlotte. Charlotte has so much more to offer, and there are so many different types of nationalities and diverse people to talk to, shopping of course there's way more variety.....Definately more sports teams in Charlotte....Way better nightlife.....Obviously more jobs in Charlotte(in NC in general).......I appreciate Columbia though, having grown up there, but once I graduated high school i hated it, most of my friends left Columbia, and as a young adult its rather quite boring, because its basically the same 3 or 4 clubs over and over that play nothing but hip-hop or country..., and you see the same faces.....i dono... It just depends what kind of city you want I guess.....

I think you would find whatever you wanted in Charlotte. As a growing city, there are tons of choices for any niche you feel you want. If it is religion, since you are involved in Church music we have all types from progressive Warehouse 242 to ultra conservative. If you like sports, tons of it here. If you want laid back living there are areas and neighborhoods that are as laid back as they get. I think the similarities between the outlook and personality of Charlotte and Columbia would further make you feel at home. Though we have grown out of the Old South (IMHO), we are still quite southern.

Archived