Columbia getting a minor league basketball team

krazeeboi

For those who want more non-USC affiliated sports options in Columbia, this should come as great news. The Columbia Rottweilers, which is affiliated with the American Basketball Association, will be making its debut in Columbia for the 2006-2007 season. A schedule isn't yet posted, but will be available this fall, which is when I assume the season starts.

Logo:

rotts-150.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh cool! Is this our first minor league basketball team? I think it'll do better than the baseball and hockey is gonna do

I definetly will be one of the first to check this out!!!! Great News!!!!!I prefer basketball over baseball any day!!!!

Great news! For those who haven't read the article, where/who will they be playing? :thumbsup:

Hopefully they plan their home games later in the evening instead of at 4:00 or 5:00pm. That was one of the reasons the Greenville Groove disbanded after one season - in which they even won the inaugural season NBDL title.

I definetly will be one of the first to check this out!!!! Great News!!!!!I prefer basketball over baseball any day!!!!

Me too!

I don't like the name, though...the Columbia Rottweillers? What do they have to do with Columbia and it would be awfully hard as part of a cheer: "Let's go Rottweillers..clap, clap, clap, clap, clap". LOL

Excellent news. The team will definently help the city with another option for entertainment. If the development is successful than attention may be brought on by even larger sport franchises. More people will become more familiar with Columbia also. Where will they be playing? I hope in the downtown area. What about the Carolina Colesium since the inferno are moving to Lexington?

On the official site they have the carolina Colesium in the background...So I'm thinking there...

Actually, that's the Colonial Center in the background...not the Coliseum.

"What about the Carolina Colesium since the inferno are moving to Lexington?"

Why do I keep reading posts about the Inferno moving to Lexington...they're not. They're moving to West Columbia, and will be about 10 minutes from downtown. The new arena is going to be practically across the street from the airport. Of course West Columbia is in Lexington COUNTY...but the Inferno are not moving to Lexington.

Waccamatt, I agree with you on the mascot. Oh well...

And that is definitely the Colonial Center on their homepage. IF the Rottweilers are able to play there, I wonder what the difference would be between them and the Inferno, as both are professional teams. The Inferno couldn't play at the Colonial Center because tax-exempt bonds were used to finance the arena.

And speaking of the NBDL, I always thought an NBDL team would do well in Columbia. But so many teams have been shuffled around, dissolved, and disbanded. The ABA has many more teams than the NBDL and will a great thing for Columbia.

I believe that the new basketball team should play in the Carolina Coliseum. It best fits for the team. The coliseum holds 12,000 and the Colonial Center holds 18,000. A smaller environment would be much more beneficial for the new team. If the team proves to be highly successful than the organization should consider moving into a larger arena to make way for more fan base.

Columbia is on the rise.

I'd like to see them play at the Coliseum as well, since it will be without a regular team after the Inferno leave, plus the smaller venue will give the impression of a larger turnout. It's been YEARS since I've been inside the Coliseum, so maybe some improvements will be in order.

I'd like to see the Coliseum owned by the City instead of the University so it will not be torn down or neglected like USC is know to do. The city could bring it up to code and enlarge the playing floor so that we could have professional hockey (if it ever comes back to midtown), indoor football, basket ball, and etc.

I'm thrilled to know that we will at least have one pro sport in midtown.

So place your bets ladies and gents what will be the next minor leauge sport to call Columbia home? My choices are:

Baseball, I'm confident that when the riverfront district takes off Columbia will more than likely see some type of minor league baseball again probablly AA.

Indoor Football, even Lexington has one of these teams although I will say I have never been to a game, I didn't even go to a game when the "rhinos" played in Greenville before they were terminated.

Soccer, don't think this area is really soccer crazy though.

Actually, that's the Colonial Center in the background...not the Coliseum.

"What about the Carolina Colesium since the inferno are moving to Lexington?"

Why do I keep reading posts about the Inferno moving to Lexington...they're not. They're moving to West Columbia, and will be about 10 minutes from downtown. The new arena is going to be practically across the street from the airport. Of course West Columbia is in Lexington COUNTY...but the Inferno are not moving to Lexington.

That's what I meant to say...Thanks

It would be cool to have the Coliseum owned by the city, but since the school still uses the facility and it will apparently be incorporated into the research campus, I highly doubt that will happen.

Since when did Lexington have an indoor football team? That's news to me.

Me too!

I don't like the name, though...the Columbia Rottweillers? What do they have to do with Columbia and it would be awfully hard as part of a cheer: "Let's go Rottweillers..clap, clap, clap, clap, clap". LOL

I just checked out the ABA website...apparently odd nicknames are common. Here are a few examples: The Baltimore Pearls, The Beijing Olympian (yes, a team in China), The Birmingham Magicians, The Boston Frenzy, The Chicago Rockstars, The Fresno Heatwave, The Houston Havoc, The Knoxville Noise, The Los Angeles Aftershock, The Montreal Matrix, The Tampa Bay Strong Dogs, and The Vermon Frost Heaves.

So yeah, Rottweilers is pretty tame compared to some of those odd names. (And what on God's green earth is a "Frost Heave"??? I'm picturing throwing up in the snow) :)

So Columbia is getting a minor league baseball team and a ABA basketball team also????

What baseball team are you talking about? The Blowfish? That's actually a college all stars team, not really minor league. They Blowfish start play on June 2nd. I'm still really hoping for a double A team for Columbia within the next few years...if not sooner. But in the meantime, I'll definitley check out the Rottweilers.

What baseball team are you talking about? The Blowfish? That's actually a college all stars team, not really minor league. They Blowfish start play on June 2nd. I'm still really hoping for a double A team for Columbia within the next few years...if not sooner. But in the meantime, I'll definitley check out the Rottweilers.

ok. still good news for the midlands area.

Word on the street is that the Columbus (GA) Catfish may still be interested in making a move to the Capital City. If the future Lexington facility can land an arena football team, Columbia will really be on a roll.

You mean the West Columbia facility? :)

Archived