Columbia getting a minor league basketball team

krazeeboi

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant Lexington as in Lexington County...sorry if I was unclear.

Oh, it was just a joke. (notice the smiley) I had commented in a different post about how people keep saying the Inferno are moving to Lexington, which makes it sound like they're moving to the TOWN of Lexington, which they're not. Just like to keep reminding people that aren't aware of it that they will be just a few miles from downtown Columbia. :)

Yeah...lexington seems like 20 minutes from downtown columbia...please lets say west columbia or lexington county. lol. im thinking miiiles away

Yep...when you say the Inferno are moving to "Lexington", people think "oh, Columbia not only lost the Bombers, but now they lost the Inferno". But they will be 10 minutes from downtown...still Columbia. :)

Yea a portion of the City of Columbia is located in Lexington County. Do you feel that the new team will have good support from the Columbia area?

I believe they will...and it's only like 10mins from downtown.The inferno has a strong fan base!!

I believe they will...and it's only like 10mins from downtown.The inferno has a strong fan base!!

Well, he asked about the "new" team. I assume he means the Rottweilers, since the Inferno aren't new. And I'll check out the Rottweilers. If I have a good time, I'll go back. :) If they suck, and I'm bored, I won't. :)

^Well, remember this team is an expansion team, so I wouldn't expect the most stellar players for the first season or so. As long as they don't suck ala the Chicago Bulls post-Jordan, area residents should do their best to support them consistently. :)

I just figured out what was going on :wacko: I am happy that Columbia is finally moving forward in the entertainment world. I even like the name a little bit. I can already imagine a big game and all the Columbia fans are barking...WOOF WOOF...YEAH! :w00t:

Who let the dogs out? Who, who, who, who. Sorry, I had to. :blush:

There's an article in The State about the Columbia Rottweilers today. The founder and chairman of the league says in the article that Columbia is a good fit not only because it makes sense for the league, but also because it "is a great and growing city. It's always nice to read that sort of statement from an unbiased person.

The article can be accessed here. It also answers the venue question: it will be looking at a large HS gym or small college gym at first, then look at other options as attendance grows. Ticket prices start at $10, and the team will have an 18-game home schedule.

I hate to say it, but the info about being a minister and making a living by selling distressed title loans (read very high interest rates) doesn't sit real well with me. South Carolina's laws on predatory lending do not adequately protect our citizens and I am very wary of these title loan companies and other similar or affiliated organizations. I hope I'm proven to be wrong.

So do you think this will affect the way he runs the franchise?

I'm not sure. The business he's in is certainly legal in South Carolina and all, but I get a bad vibe when in one area of someone's life they're talking about helping disadvantaged kids, etc., but then in another area they benefit from what I consider to be a predatory type of lending. I'll withhold final analysis until all the facts are in, but the 2 things don't jive well in my mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived