Famous New Orleanians

NCB

Well, stealing Brian's idea, I decided to use some of my own knowledge, ans of course the help of Wikipedia, to make a list of famous New Orleanians. Some of them may not have been born here, but called it home, or call it home now. Many of the people are also no longer living, but you will probably be able to identify most of them. I'm just going to include people that are well known on a national level, not just around the state or the South, or people who's accomplishments affected not only the immediate area, but much further beyond.

Academia

Stephen Ambrose- Well known biographer, professor, and historian. Founder and president of the D-Day Museum.

Sean O'Keefe- Former Administrator of NASA, current chancellor of LSU.

Arts and literature

George Washington Cable- writer

Truman Capote- writer

Anne Rice- writer

Tennessee Williams- writer

Business and economics

Ruth Fertel- founder of Ruth's Chris Steak House

Cuisine

Jules Alciatore- chef

Emeril Lagasse- he was born in Massachusetts, but his career as a chef began in New Orleans at the famous Commander's Palace restaurant in New Orleans. Emeril currently resides in New Orleans, owns three restaurants here, and refers to his style of cooking as "New New Orleans."

Paul Prudhomme- the chef responsible for getting the nation interested, and mis-informed about Cajun cooking. After he became a celebrity chef, many around the nation began to confuse cajun cuisine with creole cuisine in New Orleans, and believed that New Orleans was a Cajun city, which is not the case.

Crime

Axeman of New Orleans- mysterious mass murderer who reaked havoc on New Orleans during the early 1900's. More info here

Derrik Todd Lee- Baton Rouge serial killer

Lee Harvey Oswald- Assassin of president John F. Kennedy

Entertainment

Patricia Clarkson- actress

Ellen DeGeneres- comedian, talk show host

John Goodman- actor; not from New Orleans, but has lived here for many years. He has expressed his love for the city and its culture om many occasions

Dorothy Lamour- actress

Richard Simmons- entertainer

Reese Witherspoon- actress

Law and politics

Harry Connick, Sr.- district attorney, father of singer Harry Connick, Jr.

Mary Landrieu- U.S. Senator

Marc Morial- Former mayor of New Orleans, currently the president and CEO of the National Urban League

Ray Nagin- current mayor of New Orleans

David Vitter- U.S. Senator

Invention

Josef Delarose Lascaux- inventor or Cotten Candy

Michael E. DeBakey- sergeon and inventor of the first artificial heart

Music

Louis Armstrong- perhaps the most famous Jazz musician of all time

Paul Barbarin- regarded as one of the greatest Jazz drummers of all time

Dave Bartholomew- prominent figure in the genre's of Rock N' Roll, blues, and New Orleans Jazz. Member of the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

Sidney Bechet- considered one of the greatest jazz saxophonist's and jazz composers of all time

Terence Blanchard- well known Jazz trumpet player and composer

B.G.- rapper

Mannie Fresh- rapper and hip hop producer

Lil Romeo- Rapper and actor

Buddy Bolden- considered to be, along with his band of players, the inventor is Jazz music

Alton "Big Al" Carson- well known Jazz and Blues musician

Harry Connick, Jr.- well known musician, his music is centered around Jazz. Also a well known Broadway actor

Fats Domino- famous Rock N' Roll singer, songwriter, and pianist. Member of the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame

Dr. John- well known colourful pianist, singer, and songwriter. His music spans, and often combines, blues, boogie woogie, and rock and roll

Pete Fountain- well kown clarinetist, most of his music is Dixiland style

Al Hirt- popular trumpeter and band leader

Clarence "Frogman" Henry- well known original Rhythm and Blues singer

Mahalia Jackson- famous gospel singer

Juvenile- rapper

Lenny Kravitz- born in New York City, but currently lives in New Orleans. He has also expressed his love for the city, and is often seen attending New Orleans Hornets or Saints games.

Lil Wayne- Rapper who is considered by many to be the best rapper in the industry

Branford Marsalis- Jazz saxaphonist, member of the Marsalis, a "Jazz Royalty" family

Ellis Marsalis, Jr.- Considered one of the premier modern Jazz pianists. Has 4 sons, who are all well known Jazz musicians; Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo and Jason Marsalis.

Wynton Marsalis- among the most prominent jazz musicians of the modern era, and by far the best-known African-American instrumentalist in classical music.

Jason Marsalis- a jazz drummer, and the youngest member of the famous Marsalis musical family

Master P- rapper, founder and CEO of No Limit Records

Deacon John Moore- a blues, rhythm & blues, and rock & roll musician, singer, and bandleader.

Jelly Roll Morton- a virtuoso pianist, a bandleader, and a composer who some call the first true composer of Jazz music. His business card referred to him as the "Originator of Jazz."

Mystikal- rapper

The Neville Brothers- an R&B, Soul and a Jazz group. The members are Aaron, Art, Charles, Cyril, and Ivan Neville

Joe "King" Oliver- well known Jazz musician and bandleader

Soulja Slim- rapper, killed in 2003 as a result of gang violence after he was shot 5 times in front of his mothers home in New Orleans' 8th Ward.

Allen Toussaint- musician, songwriter, and record producer. One of the most influential figures in New Orleans R&B.

Sports

Clyde Drexler- ten-time all-star, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, and was named one of basketball's fifty greatest players by the NBA. Drexler won an Olympic gold medal in 1992 and an NBA championship in 1995.

Marshall Faulk- running back for the Saint Louis Rams, 7 pro bowl selections

Michael Lewis- a former beer truck driver, he is now the Saints' all-time career leader in punt returns and punt return yardage. He also set an NFL record in 2002 for combined kick-punt return yardage with 2,432 yards total.

Archie Manning- Former quarterback for the Saints, selected to the Pro Bowl twice, even while playing on some of the worst teams in NFL history.

Eli Manning- quarterback for the New York Giants

Payton Manning- star quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts, 8 Pro Bowl selections, 2 time NFL MVP, NFL Offensive Player of the Year winner, and Walter Payton Award Winner.

Kordell Stewart- former star quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, pro bowl selection, currently playing for the Baltimore Ravens

Ron Swoboda- former New York Mets outfielder

Will Clark- former baseball all-star

Skylar Green- former LSU standout, NFL pro

That's about it. Look at all of those famous musicians! And I'm very proud to say that I share something in common with all of these people, I was born in, and love, the city of New Orleans. :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive list. No suprise here either. All those musicians WOW !

Two more prominant Sports figures to add; both recently retired;

Avery Johnson- 2006 NBA Coach of the Year for the Dallas Mavericks;

16 year NBA career, won championship in 99' with the Spurs.

Aeneas Williams- 8 time Pro Bowler, 55 career Int's, NFL All-Decade Team in the 90's.

* both attended Southern Univ. in BR

George Washington Cable- writer

Wow, our first president was from New Orleans before New Orleans existed? And he was a writer? AND he invented my favorite thing ever... cable!?!? I knew I liked him!! :lol:

Seriously, man, great list! You went above and beyond (had to show me up) by adding categories I never thought of. I knew if anyone could do it, Nate could... no doubt. Nate's representin tonight!!

Wow, our first president was from New Orleans before New Orleans existed?

Brian, Brian, Brian... :o

New Orleans

Originally Settled- 1699

Officially Founded- 1718

George Washington

Born- 1732

;)

Seriously, man, great list! You went above and beyond (had to show me up) by adding categories I never thought of. I knew if anyone could do it, Nate could... no doubt. Nate's representin tonight!!

Thanks man! :D

Nice list dude. With most famous people it's hard to put their face with their hometown (ex Vince Vaughn, Minneapolis) Who knew? But New Orleans has a flavor that doesn't make it's all-star cast that surprising. Doesn't Nicholas Cage live there as well?

Nice list dude. With most famous people it's hard to put their face with their hometown (ex Vince Vaughn, Minneapolis) Who knew? But New Orleans has a flavor that doesn't make it's all-star cast that surprising. Doesn't Nicholas Cage live there as well?

Definately, you can put the name with the hometown with most of New Orleans' famous sons and daughters. :thumbsup:

Uh... yeah... about that... man you know I was just playin!! Like I wouldn't know that... :rolleyes:

Okay, yeah, you got me. This time.

Smarty pants.

And many more times to come I'm sure! :tough:

C.J. Peete, owner of the Magnolia Projects from 1952-1978 was well regarded as a humanitarian. Therefore, the Magnolia was renamed C.J. Peete to honor him. Residents of the project still refer to the development as Magnolia.

I think a number of famous people live or have homes around New Orleans. Seems like I heard Trent Reznor lived there a while back. Maybe he still does.

I think a number of famous people live or have homes around New Orleans. Seems like I heard Trent Reznor lived there a while back. Maybe he still does.

Rod... get OUT of my head, man!!

Seriously, on my drive home this evening I was thinking about famous New Orleanians and Trent Reznor came to mind. I remember when I was in high school, my friends and I joked all the time about going down there to see if we could see him. That was back in my heavy NIN/Manson/Type-o days. Man how things change. As far as I know, he lived in the Garden District, but I believe he's living in California now. I read an article about him a few months back and I believe it said he lives in San Francisco now.

Rod... get OUT of my head, man!!

Seriously, on my drive home this evening I was thinking about famous New Orleanians and Trent Reznor came to mind. I remember when I was in high school, my friends and I joked all the time about going down there to see if we could see him. That was back in my heavy NIN/Manson/Type-o days. Man how things change. As far as I know, he lived in the Garden District, but I believe he's living in California now. I read an article about him a few months back and I believe it said he lives in San Francisco now.

:lol: Yeah I wasn't sure if he still lived there or not. Then again who knows maybe he still has a home there.

:lol: Yeah I wasn't sure if he still lived there or not. Then again who knows maybe he still has a home there.

When I went to respond to your post, my first thought was, "Rod's going to think I'm so full of crap," but I swear I was thinking that on my way home.

And you're right, he very well may have a home in N'awlins still. The man's got plenty of money, no doubt.

So are you a NIN fan?

When I went to respond to your post, my first thought was, "Rod's going to think I'm so full of crap," but I swear I was thinking that on my way home.

And you're right, he very well may have a home in N'awlins still. The man's got plenty of money, no doubt.

So are you a NIN fan?

Yeah although I admit I don't listen to that type of music as much as I used to. Although I got into NIN because I was into Industrial music. Although after NIN came around and got big the rest of the Industrial scene seemed to die off. Although I guess there's still a couple of bands still left.

^Just to make sure, you guys are talking about Nine Ince Nails, right? Because I'm a big fan of them too.

HEY, a real fan wouldn't have to ask! :angry:

Poser.

Seriously... yeah, Nine Inch Nails.

Rod: yeah, Nine Inch Nails was very big in its day, but Industrial did seem to die off. And at an odd time, too, because Marilyn Manson was considered Industrial and they were huge too.

Poser.

Rod: yeah, Nine Inch Nails was very big in its day, but Industrial did seem to die off. And at an odd time, too, because Marilyn Manson was considered Industrial and they were huge too.

I always considered Marilyn Manson post industrial. Back in the day, I was really big into NIN, Ministry, Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy and Front 242.

Poser.

Well I usually stick to my rap, classic and modern rock, and Jazz, but NIN is an exception. And hey, for all I know you guys could be big fans of "New Irrigation Nozzles" or something. ;)

Well I usually stick to my rap, classic and modern rock, and Jazz, but NIN is an exception. And hey, for all I know you guys could be big fans of "New Irrigation Nozzles" or something. ;)

Dude, you like New Irrigation Nozzles too!? You rock!! :D

Actually I hope you just made that name up... :blink:

Dude, you like New Irrigation Nozzles too!? You rock!! :D

Actually I hope you just made that name up... :blink:

Haha, yea I just came up with that. I couldn't think of many things that would fit an "NIN" acronym right off the top of my head. But I'm willing to bet you that there really is a band out there somewhere called "New Irrigation Nozzles." :huh:

Archived