Charlotte's Hot but...

Richhamleigh, DC

I'm not going to argue that cetain amentities and projects indicate growth as some do, but what I am curious about is what is the objective of growth. If it is to gain high class retail like Hermes, flashy new skyscrapers, and density it apears to me that we already have those things in the mail. Perhaps its just to overcrowd, sprawl, pollute, and overload the infrastructure. I think that Charloteans desire to grow stems from another issue entirely, pride (and maybe baseball). Charloteans seem to want recognition for their city being beyond the average po-dunk hole. If its recognitions you want though, size want do it. If it did we would all be looking up to places like Newark.

Personally I think that the city might very well grow beyond some of the more conservative estimates if only because of the numerical force behind national and international retailers, corporations, and developers who have faith in the city. If we don't grow in some facet all these organizations lose money. Plus, some of the most respected sources in the English language including the economist and the FT have commented on our economic potential and our efforts to not fall into the sunbelt sprawl mistakes.

Still, to the faithless cynics and the boomtown enthusiasts I think we may all be better off without oodles of people.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if your new or not, BUT many of us, er, probably most of us would rather see Charlotte's growth be economically and environmentally smart than just to have more people. We could follow Atlanta's lead if we wanted that. Surely, there are some who feel THAT way, but most on this site believe we should find alternatives to spawLANTA. Downtown projects and the light rail that WE SHOULD SUPPORT will help Charlotte's cause to become a beautiful, clean and livable place that I hope it becomes. Benvenuto BobbyDav.

I wish developers in Raleigh had the same hunger for glitzy, cosmopolitan towers that developers building in Charltte do. The towers in Raleigh, proposed and already built, still are underwhelming and rather Mayberryish. Even with the new developments in downtown Raleigh, it will still lack the wow factor that uptown Charlotte has had for over a decade now.

There was an article in today's WSJ headlined: "Where home prices are hot now---despite a national downturn, some markets that missed the housing boom are thriving; fleeing Florida for Charlotte." The article mentioned that house prices here grew by 9% from 4Q05 to 4Q06, the fastest appreciation since 1982.

The best part about the article is the lack of the "NC" attatchment behind Charlotte Some of the other cities included in the piece listed the state behind the city. (ie Portland,OR and Raleigh, NC)

(we are slowly moving up in the world folks :) )

A2

The best part about the article is the lack of the "NC" attatchment behind Charlotte Some of the other cities included in the piece listed the state behind the city. (ie Portland,OR and Raleigh, NC)

(we are slowly moving up in the world folks :) )

A2

There was an article in today's WSJ headlined: "Where home prices are hot now---despite a national downturn, some markets that missed the housing boom are thriving; fleeing Florida for Charlotte." The article mentioned that house prices here grew by 9% from 4Q05 to 4Q06, the fastest appreciation since 1982.

Archived