Charlotte's Hot but...

Richhamleigh, DC

What about the Raleigh-Durham area? There was an article in the Observer the other day about there being a ton of new buildings being built or in the planning stages...just not as quite as grand as the ones here in Charlotte. Is the growth really only limited to Charlotte?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish developers in Raleigh had the same hunger for glitzy, cosmopolitan towers that developers building in Charltte do. The towers in Raleigh, proposed and already built, still are underwhelming and rather Mayberryish. Even with the new developments in downtown Raleigh, it will still lack the wow factor that uptown Charlotte has had for over a decade now.

I'm assuming you're leaving Florida out as well. Jacksonville proper is already 130k (2005 estimates) ahead of Charlotte and growing at a similar (but slower) rate. However, unless somehow the tides turn back to even more suburban (than the current rate) living here, you're probably right about Charlotte.

I think the comment about the pro-downtown mayor may be a big part that lots of people overlook. McCrory does a great job selling the center city and leading public investment dollars into the center city, much to the chagrin of a lot of South Charlotte.

Raleigh, Nashville, Birmingham, and lots of other mid-size cities don't have the same political agenda as Charlotte, which is the development equivalent of "tickle-down economics"...here it's the trickle outward economics, what is good for the center city is good for the region, and while Uptown gets the lionshare benefit, all other parts of town see the spillover benefits.

I wish developers in Raleigh had the same hunger for glitzy, cosmopolitan towers that developers building in Charltte do. The towers in Raleigh, proposed and already built, still are underwhelming and rather Mayberryish. Even with the new developments in downtown Raleigh, it will still lack the wow factor that uptown Charlotte has had for over a decade now.

DCMetroRaleigh, RBC is building downtown, and really it is killing two birds with one stone by bringing residences and offices in their tower. Maybe you were thinking of the Soleil Center which is being built next to Crabtree Mall.

To tell the truth, I like what queensguy said about the types of cities Raleigh and Charlotte are. They are both booming, yes, but Charlotte has the opportunity to be the "tall, shiny, and big city of NC" while Raleigh is sort of the smaller dense, walkable capital city. Dont get me wrong, Charlotte is walkable, to an extent, and dense in its downtown, but they are at another level of development than Raleigh. Charlotte markets its big-business, shiny downtown, while Raleigh markets its small, family-suited downtown, but both are booming and growing at paces never seen before.

Anyone want to speculate as to why Charlotte seems to be shifting to another gear in terms of development?

Of course there is the speculation of new jobs, but so far, nothing has been publically confirmed.

So why is Charlotte getting more development than any other comparable city?

One, Charlotte isn't anywhere near tapped out yet in downtown condo construction. Remember, before the Arlington there were exactly 0 condo towers in Charlotte. It's not like we had a great market to begin with. Now you can add in Courtside, Avenue, and Trademark. That's still only 4. It looks like the Vue, 210 Trade, and the Park will soon join their ranks. That's 7. That's more than 0, but still not tapped out as far as the market goes. If Furman's right, and 10% of the population might want to live in a condo tower, we'd need a capacity of around 100,000 people...and we ain't even close.

All we know is what the developer said about it. Do you think they would actually say, "Oh I couldn't sell enough of them at the price needed to build this place"? There were others that said it is because the demand is falling off.

Let's also not forget that Furman is seeking another location for his Concourse project in Uptown. I am sure it will differ slightly in appearance since the Hotel component might be eliminated.

I think it truly was a site issue. I almost laughed whenI I heard they were even considering a condo/hotel tower on that little piece of land. It just seems to tight a fit for a multiuse bldg that was proposed with limited parking.

A2

In regards to the Concourse, we have a 271 post thread that include endless positive platitudes from most of you on why it was such a good project. Now that it has been canceled, we have excuses as to why it was not a viable project. It would seem to me that we can't have it both ways with these projects and this isn't being realistic. Back to the subject at hand I stand by what I said earlier in that lets see if any of the rest of the projects get off the ground before we can call Charlotte a development whore (or what ever maybe that was a different thread). It has a long ways to go to even catch up with the high rise condo construction that is taking place in Myrtle Beach.

In regards to the Concourse, we have a 271 post thread that include endless positive platitudes from most of you on why it was such a good project. Now that it has been canceled, we have excuses as to why it was not a viable project. It would seem to me that we can't have it both ways with these projects and this isn't being realistic. Back to the subject at hand I stand by what I said earlier in that lets see if any of the rest of the projects get off the ground before we can call Charlotte a development whore (or what ever maybe that was a different thread). It has a long ways to go to even catch up with the high rise condo construction that is taking place in Myrtle Beach.

I'm not going to argue that cetain amentities and projects indicate growth as some do, but what I am curious about is what is the objective of growth. If it is to gain high class retail like Hermes, flashy new skyscrapers, and density it apears to me that we already have those things in the mail. Perhaps its just to overcrowd, sprawl, pollute, and overload the infrastructure. I think that Charloteans desire to grow stems from another issue entirely, pride (and maybe baseball). Charloteans seem to want recognition for their city being beyond the average po-dunk hole. If its recognitions you want though, size want do it. If it did we would all be looking up to places like Newark.

Personally I think that the city might very well grow beyond some of the more conservative estimates if only because of the numerical force behind national and international retailers, corporations, and developers who have faith in the city. If we don't grow in some facet all these organizations lose money. Plus, some of the most respected sources in the English language including the economist and the FT have commented on our economic potential and our efforts to not fall into the sunbelt sprawl mistakes.

Still, to the faithless cynics and the boomtown enthusiasts I think we may all be better off without oodles of people.

Archived