If you could...

I was interested in seeing which building most of our UP forumers would want to see in Charlotte, if they could move it over. If you could move any building to Uptown Charlotte, which building would it be and why? I didn't make a poll since there are obviously too many buildings, but knock yourself out. It can be built, proposed, u/c, w/e.

I said the Burj Dubai, and it pretty much speaks for itself.

Photo_Burj_Tower.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it tends to get poo-poo'd by a lot of people, but I love the USBank tower in LA (formerly Library Tower, and First Interstate World Center... you know, the one that got blown up in 'Independence Day'). I always thought this building looked like a big chess king piece and our BofA looked like the queen. Also interesting is how the Gas Company Tower alongside USBank really parallels BofA/IJL. Both IJL and Gas Co. have that pinched oval shape with varying setbacks. Maybe if Wachovia ever buys USBank, they can disassemble it and reconstruct it here.

I would pick the Bank of America Tower being constructed in NYC as it belonged here in the first place.

393307.jpg

Facts from Emporis:

- Popular Science gave the building the title of the Best Engineering of What's New in 2005 for its being "The Most Amibitious Eco-Friendly SkyScraper" in the December 2005 edition.

- Standing right next to another "green" skyscraper pioneer, Conde Nast Building, the building is to have groundbreaking environmental features such as being able to generate 70% of its energy and gather all of its toilet water.

Lets dust off the cobbwebs of Frank Lloyd Wright's idea for a mile-high 'scraper and thrust ourselves into the realm of "world-class" city status by building it. By the way, didn't he go to Chapel Hill?

Theoretically, how wide would the base of a building of this size have to be for it to not snap in half in a hurricane?

Way too many to name.....i like the one krazeeboi mentioned from Minneapolis, 111 Huntington Ave. in Boston...it kinda reminds me of the Hearst Tower, and it would fit in pretty well......I agree with Burj Al Arab from Dubai, 21st century tower from Dubai, 1180 Peachtree from Atlanta, Four Seasons Hotel in Miami.....to be continued

Archived