Deforesting on Lake Forest Dr

GMoxley

There is a lot of land clearing going on on Lake Forest Dr; at the end near Woodburn, and in the middle near the bridge over Lawsons Fork. I think the clearing near the bridge backs up to the Country Club, though it's been a while since I went trekking through those woods. Does anyone have info on what's going on in these spots?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely drive down Lake Forest, but I would bet that its another subdivision. I would not buy there though, as that is a very flood-prone area.

My thought exactly. The last house that was built there on the corner of Montgomery and Lake Forest was built with the first floor raised up. Kinda looks like a beach house.

Yeah, people who build in flood zones are required to build their house up so that the bottom is at least as high as the 100 year flood mark. probably all houses in that area will look like that. That doesn't make it better though. You property will still be damaged in a flood. IMO, we should not be be building in flood planes, particularly on the Lawson's Fork.

Guys, the middle part adjacent to Lawson's Fork was cleared by the Board of Directors of Spartanburg Country Club. Back in August there was a bit of an outcry by residents, because the club started clear-cutting about 85 acres, causing a bit of an eyesore. Here's a summary of the situation.

http://search.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...=73246336814109

As for the end of the street, I drove by just this past sunday. It appears that they're putting in another private drive and probably going to be building a couple more houses on the end next to woodburn.

Even though I like the forest there, if their going to tear it down, I'd like to see some new residential development - the eastside needs some more of it.

Everything I've heard points to the club keeping the land for future expansion. Probably nothing more than a house or two going up on the Woodburn end.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday on my way home I was headed down Lake Forest and right before I turned on Torino I looked out at the clear cut. There were several land moving vehicles out in the middle of the clear cut area. Why they were there I do not know. It would be tough to build here as this land backs up to the sewage plant plus Lawson's Fork Creek floodplain is here also.

For what its worth, that Lawson's Fork WWTP is going to be closed down. SSSD is going to be piping everything to its Fairforest Creek facility over on 295 for treatment eventually. I have no idea what will become of the Lawsons's Fork facility though.

The County GIS shows that tract of land is owned by the Country Club. It could be that they are just clearing trees like they did on the other side of the creek (that caused some controversy) a few years back.

Archived