I've got a question along the lines of ArkStu's question. I am looking to possibly make the move back to LR and I'd really like to live downtown. How is the McArthur Park area and along up into the river market on the east side of downtown?

Also what the heck is the Albert Pike building down there? It looks awesome just wondered how its currently being used...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a question along the lines of ArkStu's question. I am looking to possibly make the move back to LR and I'd really like to live downtown. How is the McArthur Park area and along up into the river market on the east side of downtown?

Also what the heck is the Albert Pike building down there? It looks awesome just wondered how its currently being used...

MacArthur Park is really a heterogenous neighborhood. It's generally safe. There are a lot of smaller rental properties that are quite nice. There's a large complex in the middle of MacArthur Park with several buildings that is run down and somewhat of a nuisance. There are a number of older homes that have been split into separate apts. The area near the Arts Center itself is particularly nice and renovated. There are a fair number of UALR law students down there.

I know what you mean about the Albert Pike. It is currently being used as small apts largely for the elderly and disabled. There has been talk about it being on the auction block and it could possibly be converted to condos or back to a hotel but its' all hearsay.

If I were still single, I'd live downtown. I've had friends who lived in that area over the years. The only place I've ever heard of as being a problem is Fowler Square apartments. I think that has been cleaned-up though.

If I were still single, I'd live downtown. I've had friends who lived in that area over the years. The only place I've ever heard of as being a problem is Fowler Square apartments. I think that has been cleaned-up though.

The large complex I was referring to was Fowler Square. I hope it has been cleaned up. I always thought that would be a TERRIFIC investment for someone as cleaning it up would command high rents because of the location.

• 2 weeks later...

UALR Business Students Win First, Fourth Place in International Competition

Brent Corbitt, a UALR students studying for a masters degree in business administration, finished first and the team of Chris Hill and Raymond Leung finished fourth in the International Capstone Challenge, an on-line business simulation in which students run virtual companies and make decisions in advanced marketing, human resources, total quality management, finance, research and development, labor negotiations, and production operations.

The competition began April 2 with more than 500 teams and more than 200 completed all eight qualifying rounds. Two of UALR

I was wondering if it was the old Wal-Mart site nearby. What's in that now?

The old Wal Mart site is the Mosaic Church. The Mosaic Church has been a good influence in the area. The University Planning District incorporates a new building for the church in the district. The last University Planning District Workshop is May 1 in the Stephens center. I posted a link to University Planning District information in the forum a while back.

Also Place Properties proposal to build student apartments on the old Coleman Dairy property went to the LR Board last week. I assume it passed.

Edited by turboturtle

Apparently there's a meeting Tuesday to reveal the plans for the area recommended by the outside consultants and for the community to interact and make their own recommendations and suggestions. We'll probably hear something then or Wednesday.

That is the workshop I referred to in an earlier post. I attended the last workshop. It was very well attended, over 100 people. The plans have been revealed already here.

Thats pretty impressive. I like how they are trying to bring the buldings up to the street and hide the parking. That type of development could hopefully create a walkable university district. Most commuter schools lack these types of developments.

Edited by vbfl85

Thats pretty impressive. I like how they are trying to bring the buldings up to the street and hide the parking. That type of development could hopefully create a walkable university district. Most commuter schools lack these types of developments.

I am please with the people involved. I am not as impressed by the consulting firm as I was impressed by the Urban Land

Institute representative who came to LR in 2000. The University District planning effort is comparable to the ULI study for Markham and University Corridor.

The deck is stacked against the Asher and University (University Planning District), unlike the study area to the north. The seeds are being sewn. We'll have to wait 15 to 20 years to seed if it bears any fruit.

Also Place Properties proposal to build student apartments on the old Coleman Dairy property went to the LR Board last week. I assume it passed.

It was approved yesterday. It will consist of 11 3-story buildings and UALR is helping build a traffic light to create a crossing to the development. Work will start in July and finish in time for students to move in before fall 2008.

Also they note:

"The proposed rent of $500 to $550 per month would also cover students

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An educated job pool goes hand in hand with economic

development. Arkansas cannot have one without the other.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=49258

UALR Computer Training Helps State Land Blade Plant

When officials announced Wednesday that a factory that makes windmill blades for turbines would locate in Little Rock, one of the reasons cited for the decision was the city's workforce.

One reason the workforce impressed Denmark-based LM Glasfiber is the training offered at local colleges.

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock already trains students to use a software program that Glasfiber uses to design its blades. UALR Cyber College Dean Mary Good assembled information for the Arkansas Economic Development Commission to provide to Glasfiber. She says she got word to the company that UALR could train its workers. Pulaski Technical College is starting classes in the fall that will also teach students how to use the CATIA software.

LM Glasfiber announced yesterday it would build a $150 million plant at the Little Rock Port and that it will employ more than 1,000 people.

An educated job pool goes hand in hand with economic

development. Arkansas cannot have one without the other.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=49258

UALR Computer Training Helps State Land Blade Plant

When officials announced Wednesday that a factory that makes windmill blades for turbines would locate in Little Rock, one of the reasons cited for the decision was the city's workforce.

One reason the workforce impressed Denmark-based LM Glasfiber is the training offered at local colleges.

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock already trains students to use a software program that Glasfiber uses to design its blades. UALR Cyber College Dean Mary Good assembled information for the Arkansas Economic Development Commission to provide to Glasfiber. She says she got word to the company that UALR could train its workers. Pulaski Technical College is starting classes in the fall that will also teach students how to use the CATIA software.

LM Glasfiber announced yesterday it would build a $150 million plant at the Little Rock Port and that it will employ more than 1,000 people.

Great to hear. I remember touring the Cyber College back in high school, and I was quite impressed. As was mentioned before, all the computer gurus at my high school seemed to go to UALR (the ones that beat out Arkansas colleges in programming competitions).

The Coleman Creek project sounds promising too.

Edited by johnnydr87

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

"The University of Arkansas Office of Admissions recently announced the opening of a regional office in Little Rock."

The above statement was in a press release from the UofA. I don't know about you but I think it is time UALR removes itself from the University of Arkansas system.