Tomorrow UALR launches the public phase of its first ever fund-raising campaign. If you driven down that part of University, you may have notice the "Its time for UALR" street banners. There up all over campus too. The theme of the campaign will be "Its time for UALR."

This kick-off hoopla will include some local celebs and a national one (hmmm. Who could that possibly be?). It'll include the campaign goal and how much has been raised so far.

UALR is a major asset for Little Rock and Pulaski County. Generally, what benefits UALR should benefit the City. There should not be a City Director, LRSD Board member or PUCO Board member who doesn't find a way to support UALR.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is posted from an email distribution I'm on... Here is a map of the University District.

The CRE Consulting Corps team will make a verbal report on Friday, September 12, at 9:30 am at the Bailey Center. The meeting is open to the public, including UDP stakeholders and constituents, and should last about one hour. The Bailey Center is located on 28th Street on the UALR campus. Parking is available in Lot 13, across 28th Street from the Bailey Center.

The members of the CRE Consulting Corps arrived in Little Rock on Sunday afternoon and have spent much of this week meeting with stakeholders in groups and one-on-one. The CRE Consulting Corps is assessing the financial feasibility and community acceptance of redeveloping commercial real estate areas of the district that are in close proximity to the main UALR campus.

The CRE Consulting Corps consists of volunteer CRE members who donate their time to advise communities on real estate development issues. The direct expenses of the team members will be paid from a $20,000 grant funded by the James E. Gibbons Educational Trust, which is administered by the CRE.

The assessment will fulfill the needs for a credible and focused business strategy for the district's commercial redevelopment. It should benefit thousands of University District residents who now depend upon goods and services from commercial districts outside the area. Additionally, a revitalized commercial core will influence more families in moving into the area.

• 4 months later...

The time has come.

See below...

University of Little Rock

ha ha... I was just thinking that before I opened this topic. I would think that the name change would start a renewed interest in the area as far as funding, and potential students in and out of State. I've wondered why this wasn't done long ago.

When they dropped "Southwest" on Missouri State Universty, enrollment exploded and the capital funding. MSU now has over 21,000 students and is growing exponentially every year.

The time has come.

See below...

Ha! Though I think it would likely be "Little Rock University" as it was before the University of Arkansas affiliation.

I'm of the position that that decision was a very bad one....the Fayetteville campus merely did that to keep the thumb on it, and that's exactly what they've done for years. What a shame. I think if it had remained independent, not only would it have grown substantially, but it would likely have a much better academic and research reputation.

Ha! Though I think it would likely be "Little Rock University" as it was before the University of Arkansas affiliation.

I'm of the position that that decision was a very bad one....the Fayetteville campus merely did that to keep the thumb on it, and that's exactly what they've done for years. What a shame. I think if it had remained independent, not only would it have grown substantially, but it would likely have a much better academic and research reputation.

Looking back at a decision taken over 40 years ago and saying it was a bad one is not taking into account the situation at the time. As a private school, with no public support, LRU was in a precarious state financially. The only substantial sources of funds were student tuition and fees and the Donaghey Foundation. The LRU Trustees were composed of some of Little Rock's leading businessmen and I'm sure they looked at all the options before agreeing to the merger. Becoming part of UA allowed the campus to grow, the faculty to improve and the number of students to increase. Without the merger none of this would have happened. However as time passed and the UA system grew it became obvious that the UA System Board was UAFcentric. This was recently displayed by a board member's comment about the next system president "But, personally, I want somebody in there who knows what ‘woooo, pig, sooie’ means.” I believe that member's opinion is shared by other board members to the detriment of UALR.

Some have said that LRU should have become an independent state supported school. This sounds great but in the late 60s getting that through the legislature would have been a difficult task.

" but it would likely have a much better academic and research reputation". It's is more likely that had it remained independent it would only be a shadow of what it is now. The resources were just not available 40 years ago.

I am pleased with UALR's academic and research reputation. Just a couple of examples of UALR's programs: The College of Business has what I believe is the largest MBA program in the state. Recently two new programs have been instituted, Masters degrees in Accountancy and Taxation.

The History Department has outstanding professors, graduates of some of the top universities in the country.

The Donaghey College of Engineering and Information Technology, under the leadership of Dr. Mary Good, is the top program of its type in the state.

So should it be separated from the UA systems? I say YES, the University of Little Rock sounds great.

Edited by LRU1967

Looking back at a decision taken over 40 years ago and saying it was a bad one is not taking into account the situation at the time. As a private school, with no public support, LRU was in a precarious state financially. The only substantial sources of funds were student tuition and fees and the Donaghey Foundation. The LRU Trustees were composed of some of Little Rock's leading businessmen and I'm sure they looked at all the options before agreeing to the merger. Becoming part of UA allowed the campus to grow, the faculty to improve and the number of students to increase. Without the merger none of this would have happened. However as time passed and the UA system grew it became obvious that the UA System Board was UAFcentric. This was recently displayed by a board member's comment about the next system president "But, personally, I want somebody in there who knows what

I totally agree. I don't know feasible it would be to leave the UA system at this point, though. I can't really think of a precedent.

• 4 months later...

I totally agree. I don't know feasible it would be to leave the UA system at this point, though. I can't really think of a precedent.

UALR could become U of Little Rock without leaving the UA system if certain people could see the benefit. Perception is 90% of the game here and just changing the name to showcase it's role as a premier urban institution in our capital city would serve it well. The LSU system wised up in the 70's and changed LSU-NO to Univerity of New Orleans. I don't know how much opression UNO gets from Baton Rouge these days, But I can't imagine that university being what it is with a mouthful such as LSU-NO.

• 3 months later...

With today's announced enrollment figures it looks like UALR will become the second largest university in the state. Enrollment figures for UALR show 13,167 up around 1,200. UCA's fall enrollment drops to 11,783 down about 1,200 from last fall.

UALR is awaiting approval for new building projects and one of those will be a new 500 bed honors dorm.

UCA's fall enrollment drops to 11,783 down about 1,200 from last fall.

Ouch. That's gotta hurt. Considering everyone else seems to be up, I assume this is fall-out from the bad year that UCA has been having. I saw where Tech's was up 17%. That may be the biggest increase in the state. I wonder why they received this biggest boost from UCA's decline? Location?

Ouch. That's gotta hurt. Considering everyone else seems to be up, I assume this is fall-out from the bad year that UCA has been having. I saw where Tech's was up 17%. That may be the biggest increase in the state. I wonder why they received this biggest boost from UCA's decline? Location?

Since Lu entered the picture at UCA they used creative accounting for enrollment figures. Included in last year figures were a large number of high school students who never set foot on the campus and the counting of people attending one-hour education seminars at the graduate level. I doubt if actual full time enrollment has changed a lot. From what I have seen UCA might be the only university in the state to show a decline this year. As you said Tech is up and UAPB is up about 10%. These schools are showing record enrollments.

Since Lu entered the picture at UCA they used creative accounting for enrollment figures. Included in last year figures were a large number of high school students who never set foot on the campus and the counting of people attending one-hour education seminars at the graduate level. I doubt if actual full time enrollment has changed a lot. From what I have seen UCA might be the only university in the state to show a decline this year. As you said Tech is up and UAPB is up about 10%. These schools are showing record enrollments.

I think the new counting procedures had a lot to do with it....but they've also gotten a TON of bad PR lately, in addition to having to cut their advertising budget because they are so short on cash (which I think needed to be cut anyway). Also, didn't they cap the % of monies that could be used for scholarships recently?

I think it is a good thing that UCA's growth is slowing down. They need to do like the UA is doing....get the infrastructure in place first, and THEN grow. Lu was doing it backwards.

• 1 year later...

Also as a result of the UA Trustees meeting, the University of Arkansas at Little Rock has been approved to establish an Institute on Race and Ethnicity. A $200,000 grant is helping launch the institute, and UALR is currently seeking endowment funding to get things going.

More at the article: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/nov/13/ualr-approved-race-institute-20101113/?latest

Does anyone know what the new enrollment figures are for UA-Fayetteville? I know the official count isn't until late September, but most schools do a first day enrollment count.

Don't know why no one ever answered this:

The Fayetteville campus's enrollment is 21,406 this year, up significantly from the 19,849 last year. All the major 4 year universities in the state saw increases in enrollment this year except for UCA, which saw a decrease. Fayetteville's increase was the largest, which saw a 30% increase in their freshman class this year.

• 6 years later...

With eStem on the UA Little Rock campus now eating in the Cafe that the students primarily eat in, UA Little Rock has brought in a Steak & Shake truck for their campus as a lunch option to help with alleviating high traffic during lunch in the Cafe. 

I think this is pretty neat and is a restaurant that isn't in the market, although I'm sure their menu won't be as large as a regular restaurant since it is just a food truck. 

14 hours ago, dnashobviously said:

With eStem on the UA Little Rock campus now eating in the Cafe that the students primarily eat in, UA Little Rock has brought in a Steak & Shake truck for their campus as a lunch option to help with alleviating high traffic during lunch in the Cafe. 

I think this is pretty neat and is a restaurant that isn't in the market, although I'm sure their menu won't be as large as a regular restaurant since it is just a food truck. 

Where did you get the information about a Steak & Shake food truck at UA Little Rock"

On 8/4/2017 at 11:44 AM, LRU1967 said:

Where did you get the information about a Steak & Shake food truck at UA Little Rock"

I'm a Graduate Student currently and all students received an email this week addressing the eStem school on campus and how it would impact current students. As part of the email, they discussed lunch and it was mentioned!