New acquisition by Belk

Looks like a done deal. Belk to buy all of the Parisians and to immediately sell off about 7 of them.

It appears as if Belk had to purchase all of them as other suitors were offering to purchase all the stores as well.

This won't be public for some time. (unless Doug Smith reads this...)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a done deal. Belk to buy all of the Parisians and to immediately sell off about 7 of them.

It appears as if Belk had to purchase all of them as other suitors were offering to purchase all the stores as well.

Absolutely horrible news.

Will the 7 Parisians be left as a mini-chain or am I assuming correctly that they will become Dillard's, Macy's or in-line space in their respective malls?

Awful news.

Is this from your internal source? I think Belk probably has thought this through and is making a good decision, but it seems a little redundant to buy Parisian.

Is this from your internal source? I think Belk probably has thought this through and is making a good decision, but it seems a little redundant to buy Parisian.

I agree. There are plenty of malls with Belk and Parisian stores- Richland Mall and Citadel Mall in SC, probably plenty in Alabama, plus Parisian's Michigan and Indiana stores, which I'd think that Belk wouldn't want.

Plus now another good chain is vanishing- I*(#)&*)&(#)*)(#!!!!!!!!!!!

This would definetly put Belk into the Fortune 500 right? Private companies can be on the list if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe. The Fortune 500 are mostly public, but there are a few private companies that release enough information to be listed.

Belk was #109 on the Forbes list of biggest private companies. http://images.forbes.com/lists/2005/21/W2G3.html

And in the '80s, '90s and before, plenty of companies (Federated, May, Mercantile, etc.) all operated stores with multiple nameplates. Now chains want to operate just one or two brands. Since when did the economics of department stores change enough to merit this switch?

Wonder what that also means for the 7 Parisian stores slated to open between this year and 2008? Most recent annouced 7/25 to be opened in Baton Rouge?

I know Belk might love to have locations like Summit in Birmingham, but what would they do with 2 locations in places like Birmingham's Galleria?

Well, remember Belk was originally trying to just cherry-pick the Parisians they wanted. Since they weren't able to do that, I guess they count the others as acceptable losses at getting into other markets.

Do a comparision between the Parisian locations where there are no Belk stores and you'll have your winners. Belk has also historically operated two stores in one mall before. Depending upon store size they would make one a women's wear/jewlery location and another a men's/houswares department.

***By the way, I have no idea what this means for the Parisians slated to open ****

:whistling: I stand by Tim Belk's comments. (Have heard the same from both McKay and Johnny).

Not to say "I told you so".....but......

For the new stores, Dillards is getting Little Rock.

Trussville (Birmingham), Baton Rouge and Prattville will be Belk.

Dillards is picking up a couple of others and Bon Ton is picking up a couple of Northern. I hear Federated gets one (Northern).

I recall with fondness Ivey's, which always seemed to be a nicer store than Belk and which I would assume was about like Parisian is today: on the high end of the mid-market, above Belk but below Saks Fifth Avenue and others. With Lord & Taylor struggling and Parisian vanishing, are nice, up-market but not luxury chains in Parisian's and Ivey's price points done for good? Or does anyone think that in a few years, an existing mid-market chain will move upwards, or another chain will appear to fill this void? Parisian, L&T and those types of stores are my favorite- stylish yet not way expensive- and I dread losing them.

Man, this would be a kick in the crotch. Parisian is the most popular department store brand here, and has a great reputation for customer service.

Tuscaloosa's McRae's was one of the very, very few that Belk did not purchase, so it became a Parisian's. So, our mall now has two Parisian's , arranged like the following:

Do a comparision between the Parisian locations where there are no Belk stores and you'll have your winners. Belk has also historically operated two stores in one mall before. Depending upon store size they would make one a women's wear/jewlery location and another a men's/houswares department.

We do not have any Belk's here (though there was a Belk-Hudson department store downtown that closed decades ago).

Any ideas whether Belk's would keep one, both, or none of the Tuscaloosa Parisian stores ?

With Lord & Taylor struggling and Parisian vanishing, are nice, up-market but not luxury chains in Parisian's and Ivey's price points done for good? Or does anyone think that in a few years, an existing mid-market chain will move upwards, or another chain will appear to fill this void?
In the short term, they're dead. They're too expensive for the Target-JCPenney crowd, too conservative for the Saks-Neiman Marcus crowd, and don't feel like a bargain to the outlet-TJ Maxx crowd.

I have a theory that once our remaining better department stores fall into the annals of history and all we have to choose from is Costco, Target, Wal-Mart, Nordstrom, Macy's and Neiman Marcus, someone will be smart enough to seize the oppurtunity to start a store that caters to people who want a fresher choice and become extremely successful at it.

Archived