New acquisition by Belk

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't.........it's like an upscale JCPenny. I would like something with a little more cache' to fill that space.....*coughs* Barneys......excuse me.

I agree, and I think Belk is making a mistake by rebranding all Parisians as Belk. Parisian is a profitable chain with good sales per square foot, so it isn't necessary to kill the nameplate (and close the Parisian HQ) to have a profitable chain that'll contribute to Belk's bottom line. Belk should take the Parisians in smaller towns, which would probably do OK with typical Belk merchandise, and convert those into Belk stores, and keep Parisian as the "upscale" Belk-owned chain. The Phipps Plaza, Mall of Georgia (which somehow must have some upscale shoppers, despite the crowds I saw when I was there), Summit in Birmingham, Charleston, etc. stores should stay Parisian.

I saw that sales in some chains rebranded as Macy's have fallen by I think 10% or so perhaps due to customer alienation. Would a large-scale expression of customer alienation to Belk for killing a great chain such as Parisian have any effect- maybe a letter-writing campaign?

And if the Parisian acquisition doesn't work out as well as expected (could happen, as Belk at Phipps Plaza just sounds so bad), Belk would conceivably want to unload at least some of the Parisian stores, which would be much easier if Parisian were a separate chain.

keeping Belk keeping Parisian as a seperate nameplate doesn't make much economic sense.

Why not? Federated (even still, with Macy's and Bloomingdale's), May Co. and even Neiman Marcus (with Bergdorf Goodman) keep/kept separate nameplates for different stores. Some people just won't shop in a store with a different and less-prestigious name- I'm sort of that way with Macy's and some people look down on Belk's- and keeping Parisian as a small chain with a few upscale stores in nice malls in large cities might be a way to avoid alienating more free-spending people who shop at Parisian.

The OP is correct- Belk is buying a jewelry supplier:

http://www.plainvanillashell.com/article.asp?ID=6291

Hopefully Parisian won't be next! How disappointing it would be to have that terrific chain vanish. That would leave a lot of malls in AL, SC, etc. missing anchors.

Belk made an official announcement today http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15165754.htm

Why not? Federated (even still, with Macy's and Bloomingdale's), May Co. and even Neiman Marcus (with Bergdorf Goodman) keep/kept separate nameplates for different stores. Some people just won't shop in a store with a different and less-prestigious name- I'm sort of that way with Macy's and some people look down on Belk's- and keeping Parisian as a small chain with a few upscale stores in nice malls in large cities might be a way to avoid alienating more free-spending people who shop at Parisian.
There's not enough difference between Belk and Parisian to make a separate nameplate work economically.

I don't want to seem insensitive about the Parisian situation, but you're turning this into more than what it is. For one thing, until they make an official announcement, it's all still rumor. There's a strong enough likelihood that this deal will not happen. Second, the chances of Parisian going it alone are very slim, even below Lord & Taylor's chances as an independent. There's not enough buying power or name recognition to keep the place afloat for longer than a few years. Thirdly, there's not a lot that anyone can point at with Parisian that's special beyond a purely subjective sense. They have nice clothes and their stores look good, but they're far from distinctive.

I'm sorry to say all of this considering that you feel so strongly about this issue, but at some point we have to let things go in order to keep a healthy perspective on them.

In my life, I've lost nearly every store I've grown up with to a ever increasing cloud of middle-market blandness. It hurts like hell. But at some point, you can't let the retail past and present eat you alive. You make the best of what's still aroud and support the merchants who still give a damn about class and style. Other than that, you wait and you hope.

I agree with you StevenRocks, to a great extent--a lot of people do feel strongly about where they spend their money and brand/store loyalty. More so than brand name labels, though--specifically those labels that fall between discount/mass stores and luxury labels-- the lamentations are more for the loss of what set department stores apart in the first place, which is service.

In order to survive in a shrinking middle class market, department stores are trying to keep afloat by cutting costs in labor. As these acquisitions come along, the most noticeable change is the emergence of "wrap stands." That goes hand in hand with cutting down floor coverage to eliminate people who are there to "help you," and reduce them to ringing things up. Associates are not there to help anyone anymore, they are there to meet ever rising credit and sales goals and stock the floor. Department stores are evolving into stores like Bed Bath & Beyond or Linens n Things, with the merchandise stacked ceiling high, so customers can help themselves, needing an associate only to ring them up. They are morphing into Wal-Marts and Targets, with only slightly better name brands.

I did find it interesting in the midst of all these rumors that Parisian put a huge ad last week in a book-like paper that comes out in the Birmingham area quarterly, I think. The ad stated that Parisian has been serving the area for 120 years with emphasis on customer service (and a few other things). I think that is what makes people like Parisian so much. Outside of the truly upscale retailers, Parisian seems to be the last bastion of customer service in the industry.

Belk has a very bad reputation in Tennessee. Our stores are all crap here. I don't see this as being a good move at all. The locations where Parisian exist here either already have a bad Belk or the customer base is not one that would enjoy shopping at a basic department store at all (Memphis and Nashville locations). I have no faith that Belk will be able to effectively merchandise stores to consumer tastes outside of their NC/SC comfort zone.

Belk has a very bad reputation in Tennessee. Our stores are all crap here. I don't see this as being a good move at all. The locations where Parisian exist here either already have a bad Belk or the customer base is not one that would enjoy shopping at a basic department store at all (Memphis and Nashville locations). I have no faith that Belk will be able to effectively merchandise stores to consumer tastes outside of their NC/SC comfort zone.

Like it or not, it appears it's what we've got. Perhaps Belk will enhance their merchandise in some of the markets (like Birmingham) to retain the Parisian customers. I know Belk does carry some of the "designer" labels in other markets, but they've not carried it in their Galleria store. And if they are going to make a name in places like The Summit, Brookwood, and the B'ham Galleria, Belk will have to step up their game.

And if they are going to make a name in places like The Summit, Brookwood, and the B'ham Galleria, Belk will have to step up their game.

I couldn't agree more. But I think their goal has been quantity over quality and they may need to do a quick about face. Parisian shoppers are not looking for a boring belk. I can accept the change. From a business perspective I hope they keep the level of quality/goods that Parisian is known for otherwise the success hoped for will not materialize. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Odd. Belk must really have a diverse mix of merchandise. At the Belk's I shop at I shop for Kenneth Cole, Perry Ellis, Ralph Lauren, and Liz Claiborne (my favs). Although I don't really like them that much, they also carry Hilfiger, Nautilus, Polo, and everyone else I can think of.

Do they not carry the same mix in other markets? I honestly don't see the difference between Belk and Parisians in terms of merchandise mix.

At the SP Belk, they carry for men......Armani Collezioni, Hugo Boss (black and green labels), Cornelioni (sp?), Lacoste, Diesel, Johnson & Murphy, Allen Edmunds.

I don't know as much about women's, but they carry Chanel and Kate Spade (handbags and fine china), and a buch of other brands I recognize, but can't remember.

Parisian handbags include Coach, Chanel, Kate Spade, Juicy, Dooney, Brighton, Brahmin, etc. Riverchase Galleria Belk in the same mall has only a handful of Dooney, a handful of Brahmin, and none of the others mentioned.

Children's at Parisian has Mulberribush which is often carried in children's boutiques, too. That brand is a huge seller at Parisian, and Belk would be wise to pick it up.

Those are the only things I can bring directly to mind because I shop mostly women's and children's.

I couldn't agree more. But I think their goal has been quantity over quality and they may need to do a quick about face. Parisian shoppers are not looking for a boring belk. I can accept the change. From a business perspective I hope they keep the level of quality/goods that Parisian is known for otherwise the success hoped for will not materialize. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

I wonder what will happen to the Parisian stores that are in malls that already have a Belk?

The Galleria has a Belk and Parisian so does The Gadsden Mall.

I have been told in the past that Belk SP has so many upscale brands due to the chains prominence in Charlotte. It makes arrangements with vendors to keep them out of competing stores. MAC and Kiehl's cosmetics come to mind. The SP store has a St John shop, a Lilly Pulitzer shop, Armani (men and women), Kate Spade, Chanel, Polo, Hugo Boss, Burberry, Ted Baker, Seven for all Mankind, Lacoste, Max Mara, Feragamo, Magli, Pliner. In housewares/tabletop, its the only department store in Charlotte to carry Herend, Moser, Baccarat, Modaheda, and Lalique.

All I have to say is Belk better be ready to supply such upscale brands at Summit Birmingham and it Brookwood stores especially. Because if not don't be surprised if those stores wind up shuttered within 2 years. Also they better up the anti on its customer service because Parisian customers are accustomed to great customer service. I already see the Riverchase Parisian wind up sold to Dillard's.

I'm not going to get in a p*ssing match here, but you are mistaken that Summit is the same as SP. While Summit is a very nice upscale lifestyle center in a great Southern city (I'm a big fan of the 'Ham and I LOVE the Vulcan statue), it does not compare to SouthPark in Charlotte. SP has Nieman Marcus, Lacoste, Burberry, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, Apple, St John, Polo Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade, Hermes, and Max Azaria. More than likely, Cartier and Gucci will soon announce their openings here as well. Apples and oranges.

Also let's get somethings straight. The comparison of the 2 malls aren't apples to oranges for a number of reasons. The only difference between the 2 is the layout and size. Reason #1: When The Summit Birmingham was in its development stages the main competitors for to be tenants at the mall was L&T, Nordstrom, N-M, and Saks. Saks and Parisian won out because a behind close doors deal that was cut between Saks, Inc. and Bayer Properties for the 2 to anchor the center. #2: Nearly all those stores except Apple have approached Bayer about locating to Summit Birmingham when Phase 2, 3, and 4 was in development. However, word is LV, Tiffany's, and many other upscale retailers is going to wind up at new mixed-use expansion at Colonial Brookwood Village (a similar target demo center) under development. #3: The target demo of both malls are practically the same: upper middle-class to upper-class incomes from $75,000-$200,000. Both are considered super-regional centers.

Archived