Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yankee Fan

Great, profound, Funny, and/or Inspirational Quotes

27 posts in this topic

I would gather that the majority of us at UP do a fair share of reading. With that said, what are some the most profound, inspiring, funny, touching, or mind stimulating quotes that you have come across? If possible, please give credit to the originator of the quote, as that would be the polite thing to do.

I can see this becoming quite a list.

attributed to Sir Noel Coward:

"All things in moderation; including moderation."

The only thing worse than being alone, is wishing you COULD be alone . . . . (sorry, not sure of the author)

General Patton:

"No beotch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb beotch die for his country."

He has tons of great ones: Patton Quotes

The police are not here to create disorder, they're here to preserve disorder.

- Mayor Richard J. Daley

People say 'I want peace'. If you remove the ego 'I' and desire 'want', you have peace.

-I forget the name, but I believe he was Hindu.

"America is a vast conspiracy to make you happy."

-John Updike

The only thing worse than being alone, is wishing you COULD be alone . . . . (sorry, not sure of the author)

Pretty sure that's Ann Landers. "The only thing worse than being alone is wishing that you were."

[would look it up but I have to go earn money]

Downtown is dead... - Rick & Scott, WOOD1300

"Every day is a good day. Some are just better than others."

My history teacher used to say it all the time. I'm not sure where it originated.

"We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."

Guess! haha

"Downtown Grand Rapids. Keep it a Secret"

"What is the purpose of life? For us, the answer will be clear, established and for all practical purposes indisputable: The purpose of life is to produce and consume automobiles."

In memoriam 2006

"... never, never, never give up; in anything, big or small;large or petty"

- Winston Churchill (to the people of England as they were being bombed by the nazis)

"I shall live 30 miles from my office in one direction, under a pine tree; my secretary will live 30 miles away from it too, in the other direction, under another pine tree. We shall both have our own car. We shall use up tires, wear out road surfaces and gears, consume oil and gasoline."

- Le Corbusier, "The Radiant City"

:)

"Who the [expletive] swervin' from lane to lane?

Me [expletive], It's me [expletive]" -- Wayne Hardnett

"You can tell a lot about a fellow by the way he eats jellybeans" -Ronald Reagan

I've always loved this quote, but I wonder in what way does one eat jellybeans to tell a lot about themselves...

"I had to quit drinking because I kept waking up naked on the hood of my car with my keys stuck up my butt saying this thing is flooded." - Robin Williams

"I had to quit drinking because I kept waking up naked on the hood of my car with my keys stuck up my butt saying this thing is flooded." - Robin Williams

Here's one....

"Only a brave person is willing to honestly admit, and fearlessly to face, what a sincere and logical mind discovers."

- Rodan of Alexandria

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston S. Churchill

"What we do in here in life echo's in Eternity" - General Maximus before the opening battle in Gladiator

"Don't go do (job) what you think the world needs more of, follow your passion and go do that, because that is what the world truly needs" - John Eldridge

"Grand Rapids is a city where a man can go on a journey without ever leaving." --unknown

This one found me today:

A woman's body is the first environment. If the world's environment is contaminated, so too is the ecosystem of a mother's body. If a mother's body is contaminated, so too is the child who inhabits it. These truths should inspire us all-mothers, fathers, grandparents, doctors, midwives, and everyone concerned about future generations-to action.

-Sandra Steingraber in Having Faith

As stuck on the back of my car:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

If at first you dont suceed.....blame it on your parents.