Great, profound, Funny, and/or Inspirational Quotes

I would gather that the majority of us at UP do a fair share of reading. With that said, what are some the most profound, inspiring, funny, touching, or mind stimulating quotes that you have come across? If possible, please give credit to the originator of the quote, as that would be the polite thing to do.

I can see this becoming quite a list.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing worse than being alone, is wishing you COULD be alone . . . . (sorry, not sure of the author)

Pretty sure that's Ann Landers. "The only thing worse than being alone is wishing that you were."

[would look it up but I have to go earn money]

"I shall live 30 miles from my office in one direction, under a pine tree; my secretary will live 30 miles away from it too, in the other direction, under another pine tree. We shall both have our own car. We shall use up tires, wear out road surfaces and gears, consume oil and gasoline."

- Le Corbusier, "The Radiant City"

:)

"You can tell a lot about a fellow by the way he eats jellybeans" -Ronald Reagan

I've always loved this quote, but I wonder in what way does one eat jellybeans to tell a lot about themselves...

"I had to quit drinking because I kept waking up naked on the hood of my car with my keys stuck up my butt saying this thing is flooded." - Robin Williams

Here's one....

"Only a brave person is willing to honestly admit, and fearlessly to face, what a sincere and logical mind discovers."

- Rodan of Alexandria

"What we do in here in life echo's in Eternity" - General Maximus before the opening battle in Gladiator

"Don't go do (job) what you think the world needs more of, follow your passion and go do that, because that is what the world truly needs" - John Eldridge

This one found me today:

A woman's body is the first environment. If the world's environment is contaminated, so too is the ecosystem of a mother's body. If a mother's body is contaminated, so too is the child who inhabits it. These truths should inspire us all-mothers, fathers, grandparents, doctors, midwives, and everyone concerned about future generations-to action.

-Sandra Steingraber in Having Faith

Archived