Plans for a 'W' near the roundabout

This is not that shocking considering the history of the property. The site is the old Reba owned parcel that was sold earlier this year. The plans are for underground parking, a 'W' hotel and retail/condo. The location is the abandoned Shoney's/Barbara Mandrell lots. Look for a 3rd reading to be approved to remove a Metro alley in June to allow fo rthe project.

Also I was told that the Westin for lower Broadway faces a very difficult road.

Anyway FWIW.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Todd,

What is your source on this.

I know this is owned by the Lionstone Group and they didn't spend 9 million for nothing and I do expect this to move forward on the fast track. That kind of money spent on that property is what brings me to that conclusion. It would cost them megabucks to sit on this land for long.

nashvillwill

If the Signature gets a hotel I would look for a more upscale corporate flag...we have speculated before and I still say look for a Ritz, Park hyatt type

This is all very interesting. I would expect to hear quite a bit more soon. This could well be a huge project when you consider they spent 9 million for the land alone. I'm thinking that price was similar to what Tony Giarratana paid for the Signature Tower lot.

Go ahead and build it Hankster. I'll support you. :thumbsup:

You know, the more I think about this, the more I beleive it. Music Row is hip and trendy, just like "W" is supposed to be. This is a fabulous location, and they spent $9 Million + for the lot. This will be a huge project, IMO, maybe $200 Million or so. I wouldn't be surprised if a "W" does go in here, nearly as grand as the Dallas project. Talking about this is really getting me excited! :D

You know, the more I think about this, the more I beleive it. Music Row is hip and trendy, just like "W" is supposed to be. This is a fabulous location, and they spent $9 Million + for the lot. This will be a huge project, IMO, maybe $200 Million or so. I wouldn't be surprised if a "W" does go in here, nearly as grand as the Dallas project. Talking about this is really getting me excited! :D

Careful there, big guy. You're getting some of that excitement all over the floor. :blink:

The 'W" hotel in Dallas is only one element in a larger $3 billion urban infill development called VICTORY PARK. Victory Park is served by the TRE...train from Dallas to Fort Worth....and includes the American Airlines Arena.

Development website

http://www.victorydallas.com/index_flash.html

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory,_Dallas,_Texas

The 'W" hotel in Dallas is only one element in a larger $3 billion urban infill development called VICTORY PARK. Victory Park is served by the TRE...train from Dallas to Fort Worth....and includes the American Airlines Arena.

Development website

http://www.victorydallas.com/index_flash.html

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory,_Dallas,_Texas

I'll throw a little water on this. The site is like any other around town with hotel plans early stage and has about as much chance of succeeding as the InterContinental deal or Westin downtown. Hotels have been talked about on this site for years. Ritz and others. Can you imagine a W next to the Comfort Inn?

I meant for my last replay to be on it's own and not hooked with dfwtiger

I'll throw a little water on this. The site is like any other around town with hotel plans early stage and has about as much chance of succeeding as the InterContinental deal or Westin downtown. Hotels have been talked about on this site for years. Ritz and others. Can you imagine a W next to the Comfort Inn?

Agreed. Being bookended between Comfort Inn and the "not quite" the Best Western doesn't quite have the cache of the American Airlines Arena. That said, I hope this new group will get a high quality project figured out because the lipstick and makeup hastily applied to the ramshackle buildings across the street is beginnning to wear thin.

I will allow for richard's extensive experience and knowledge in the Nashville market and say that I to wondered about the other parcels not included, would they stay or sell-out. What I do know is that well over 10 million has been spent on land, design, lobbying and marketing to flag a 'W' at this location. Those facts alone should seperate it from the potential Westin on lower broad. I would agree that this is as likely as the WES Intercontinental..but then again I am naive enough to think that will happen. :)

I will allow for richard's extensive experience and knowledge in the Nashville market and say that I to wondered about the other parcels not included, would they stay or sell-out. What I do know is that well over 10 million has been spent on land, design, lobbying and marketing to flag a 'W' at this location. Those facts alone should seperate it from the potential Westin on lower broad. I would agree that this is as likely as the WES Intercontinental..but then again I am naive enough to think that will happen. :)

I'm sure that these guys didn't spend that much money to just let it sit there. They paid more than $9 million for the 3-acre site. Eakin Partners had been talking to W as well when it was trying to buy the site.

The Comfort Inn was bought three years ago for $5.8 million. That site is about 1.87 acres. That was apparently a pretty hefty price tag for the hotel.

Wow! I can't believe someone paid almost 6 million for for the comfort inn. It must be larger than I thought. Anyway maybe this time the 'W' plan it will take root.

Obviously the land is a bit more valuable than the biulding. Now here is what I would like to see... IF a W is built (and I certainly hope so) can one of these other hotels be turned into a boutique hotel similar to The Standard Hotel(s) in LA?

www.standardhotel.com

Wouldn't that type of hotel be pretty cool on Music Row or in the Gulch?

I'm sure that these guys didn't spend that much money to just let it sit there. They paid more than $9 million for the 3-acre site. Eakin Partners had been talking to W as well when it was trying to buy the site.

The Comfort Inn was bought three years ago for $5.8 million. That site is about 1.87 acres. That was apparently a pretty hefty price tag for the hotel.

All of this talk reminds me of the DOT COM frenzy of the late 90's. I would love to see all of these dreams realized for Nashville. However, I do not see how the maket is going to asorb all of the potential lodging being thrown around. Does anyone have the total number of new rooms being discussed?

The W isn't a lock on the site. Another group is trying to get the site as well. Both W and Ritz are very familiar with the site. Fiver years ago, there was a group involved with St. Regis I think (been awhile since I wrote the story), that may have been open already if it weren't for 9/11. So hotel folks are very familiar with this site.

All of this talk reminds me of the DOT COM frenzy of the late 90's. I would love to see all of these dreams realized for Nashville. However, I do not see how the maket is going to asorb all of the potential lodging being thrown around. Does anyone have the total number of new rooms being discussed?

All I know is the Intercontinental in WES is 285 rooms and the Westin on Lower Broadway is 336 Rooms. Both of these proposals have condo components as well. I believe Signature Tower will have something in the neigborhood of 150 hotel rooms. Can anyone else add to this?

Archived