Plans for a 'W' near the roundabout

All I know is the Intercontinental in WES is 285 rooms and the Westin on Lower Broadway is 336 Rooms. Both of these proposals have condo components as well. I believe Signature Tower will have something in the neigborhood of 150 hotel rooms. Can anyone else add to this?

There also is the 150 or so room hotel for the ballpark site. Sig is 100-200 rooms. If a new convention center isn't built, one or more of these hotel deals isn't going to happen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My general manager at my hotel along with "other" hotel executives have doubts about ALL of the proposed hotels. That could be competitive wishful thinking however. My GM said "If 1 in 6 is built, I will be surprised..." Out of the Intercontinental, Hyatt, W, Westin, Signature Hotel whatever that is, and the Amerisuites in the doctors building, one of those 6 will come to Nashville.

He has been in the business for 30+ years so his doubts have that many years experience in them. Need I remind us all of the never built tower list I posted recently? I am skeptical too. As one who works in the hotel trade, I hear talk and see evidence everyday the struggle to fill rooms. When we are slow, everyone else is generally slow.

I do think after my 5 combined years in the hotel business, that Nashville may be seeing a trend in boutique hotels for clients who want more of an apartment or suite for a longer stay. The have deseminating tastes and they want very personal and individual attention. Sometimes they cannot get that in a convention hotel.

I do believe the Westin belongs on Church or Commerce Streets and not right in the middle of the entertainment district.

When I mentioned The Hyatt on the Monroe Carell property, a sales manager with 20+ years in the industry said " John, the Hyatt chain is downsizing, not expanding..."

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I can agree with my GM on this one. I know, I am always the skeptical liberal, but the downtown hotel market is stretched very thin right now.

I think the future of the built environment inside the urban core is high rise condo's and possibly another office tower like Suntrust Plaza. We need the downtown residential and we need some new office towers because most of our office towers are aging and do not have the floorplate sizes companies want today.

It seems reasonable to believe only one, probably no more than two of the hotel proposals will take place assuming the Convention Center expansion does not take place. Of course, it the Convention Center expansion does take place, look for lots of new Nashville hotel rooms. I wonder how people on the forum would handicap the hotel proposals. Here's a guess on my part:

1. Boutique Hotel in Sig Tower ( I'm a big fan of Tony G!)

2. Westin on Lower Broadway ( I think it has a chance)

3. Sounds Hotel proposal ( Great location to entertainment district)

4. Intercontinental Hotel at WES ( Can Alex Palmer really pull this thing off)

5. "W" at Roudndabout Plaza area ( It's just a rumor right now)

6. Hyatt at Monroe Carell (Hard to believe Hyatt would build while in a contraction mode)

7. Amerisuites in the Doctors Building ( I don't know anything about this one)

My general manager at my hotel along with "other" hotel executives have doubts about ALL of the proposed hotels. That could be competitive wishful thinking however. My GM said "If 1 in 6 is built, I will be surprised..." Out of the Intercontinental, Hyatt, W, Westin, Signature Hotel whatever that is, and the Amerisuites in the doctors building, one of those 6 will come to Nashville.

He has been in the business for 30+ years so his doubts have that many years experience in them. Need I remind us all of the never built tower list I posted recently? I am skeptical too. As one who works in the hotel trade, I hear talk and see evidence everyday the struggle to fill rooms. When we are slow, everyone else is generally slow.

I do think after my 5 combined years in the hotel business, that Nashville may be seeing a trend in boutique hotels for clients who want more of an apartment or suite for a longer stay. The have deseminating tastes and they want very personal and individual attention. Sometimes they cannot get that in a convention hotel.

I do believe the Westin belongs on Church or Commerce Streets and not right in the middle of the entertainment district.

When I mentioned The Hyatt on the Monroe Carell property, a sales manager with 20+ years in the industry said " John, the Hyatt chain is downsizing, not expanding..."

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I can agree with my GM on this one. I know, I am always the skeptical liberal, but the downtown hotel market is stretched very thin right now.

I think the future of the built environment inside the urban core is high rise condo's and possibly another office tower like Suntrust Plaza. We need the downtown residential and we need some new office towers because most of our office towers are aging and do not have the floorplate sizes companies want today.

You should ask your GM what it means when downtown hotel rooms consistantly run 70% plus occupancy and average daily rates continue to rise. Typically, when this happens, that means the market is ready for another hotel. My guess is at least one will get built.

I agree with the doorman. I was in hotel management for 10 years and I dont think the downtown Nashville mkt. can support all the new hotel proposals. The only way that would change is if the CC would be built and that is several years off if it gets built at all.

If I had to bet on any of these getting built, It would be either the Intercontinental or the hotel in the Signature. But I have my doubts about any of this stuff now because there is not enough business development going in DT to support even one of these new hotels. If all of the condo buildings going up were office buildings, then maybe I could see it happening. Residential is not going to fill the hotels. We have to have some major office developments in downtown.

I agree with the doorman. I was in hotel management for 10 years and I dont think the downtown Nashville mkt. can support all the new hotel proposals. The only way that would change is if the CC would be built and that is several years off if it gets built at all.

If I had to bet on any of these getting built, It would be either the Intercontinental or the hotel in the Signature. But I have my doubts about any of this stuff now because there is not enough business development going in DT to support even one of these new hotels. If all of the condo buildings going up were office buildings, then maybe I could see it happening. Residential is not going to fill the hotels. We have to have some major office developments in downtown.

Too bad Nissan didn't choose to build a tower downtown. I think NES should build a new highrise facility downtown, and allow the current NES building and surrounding storage lots to become a massive redevelopment area for the north gulch.

It seems reasonable to believe only one, probably no more than two of the hotel proposals will take place assuming the Convention Center expansion does not take place. Of course, it the Convention Center expansion does take place, look for lots of new Nashville hotel rooms. I wonder how people on the forum would handicap the hotel proposals. Here's a guess on my part:

1. Boutique Hotel in Sig Tower ( I'm a big fan of Tony G!)

2. Westin on Lower Broadway ( I think it has a chance)

3. Sounds Hotel proposal ( Great location to entertainment district)

4. Intercontinental Hotel at WES ( Can Alex Palmer really pull this thing off)

5. "W" at Roudndabout Plaza area ( It's just a rumor right now)

6. Hyatt at Monroe Carell (Hard to believe Hyatt would build while in a contraction mode)

7. Amerisuites in the Doctors Building ( I don't know anything about this one)

I wonder if there is a way to or if proponents of the convention center (or someone on this forum) have already calculated an estimate of the potential of tax revenues that would be generated if all this hotels--that would serve as lodging for conventioneers, vacationers, and business men--were built. I hate to use a contemporary clich

I was understanding that the Doctor's Building would be a Homewood Suites by Hilton. Americsuites is about to start their migration to Hyatt Place, a cool take on the Amerisuites typical prototype.

I don't think the Amerisuites would be a great combo/fit with the Doctor's building... but I am allowed to be wrong. :)

That's what I've been thinking too. Has anything changed since this story broke at the end of March?

Thanks for posting that article. I now know it's a Homewood Suites which has been proposed for the Doctors Building on Church St, not Amerisuites. It will be very interesting to see what comes of all these hotel proposals. I'm guessing it will take a pretty long time for everting to shake out.

Thanks Richard for the heads up.

Have you heard any dollar amounts mentioned wrt the size of this possible project?

Also, do you think all (most) of the announced projects are an attempt to get a jump on the proposed convention center? Or is this just a typical land rush to see who the first 1-2 are out of the ground and the rest will move on to greener pastures? Or maybe both? True, nobody will announce any kind of HQ hotel until/unless the CC plans are firmed up. Is it your sense that the second scenario above would happen if the cc is never built?

Thanks Richard for the heads up.

Have you heard any dollar amounts mentioned wrt the size of this possible project?

Also, do you think all (most) of the announced projects are an attempt to get a jump on the proposed convention center? Or is this just a typical land rush to see who the first 1-2 are out of the ground and the rest will move on to greener pastures? Or maybe both? True, nobody will announce any kind of HQ hotel until/unless the CC plans are firmed up. Is it your sense that the second scenario above would happen if the cc is never built?

No dollar amount yet. But obviously it would be big. I think this is trypical land rush stuff, throw the ideas out and see what sticks. We'll see who has the doe to pull them off. A convention center HQ hotel would be in the 1,000-room range and wouldn't come without the CC. But looking at the downtown and West End hotel occupancy figures, developers are liking what the see. Months were occupancy is above 70% and 75% and daily rates stay above $100. In April, rates went over $112. Once over 70% and rates rise, that tends to mean it's time for another hotel. Now five or six, probably not even close. Maybe over time of course, but certainly not one ride after another or concurrently.

This is a great site for a project like this. The hotel is garunteed success based on its location alone. It's also a good chance to swap out some tourist stores for cool restaurants, retail, etc that both locals and tourists can use.

This W thing ranks as my Number One wish right now. I just think it would speak volumes of positive vibe for the Music Row area. I'm a little dizzy over what is happening (or about to) over there. When I drove tours in 1980, the Barbara Mandrell site was nothing but a gravel lot full of dusty tour buses dropping people off at the Hall of Fame. If someone would just implode (or fix) the Spence, we'd be in good shape.

I'm very excited about this project too, and I believe this one has a very good chance of happening. There's so many hotel projects being proposed right now, and that may make this project more difficult to get off the ground. Still, I have a pretty good feeling about this one.

This W thing ranks as my Number One wish right now. I just think it would speak volumes of positive vibe for the Music Row area. I'm a little dizzy over what is happening (or about to) over there. When I drove tours in 1980, the Barbara Mandrell site was nothing but a gravel lot full of dusty tour buses dropping people off at the Hall of Fame. If someone would just implode (or fix) the Spence, we'd be in good shape.

Amen -- Spence Manor needs to go. Talk about a prime spot for something much more grand. What sort of buliding do you think would be suitable for the Spence site?

Amen -- Spence Manor needs to go. Talk about a prime spot for something much more grand. What sort of buliding do you think would be suitable for the Spence site?

Spence Manor has been a mess for years. One of the Belz's had been buying up units and then there was another guy over there who had bought a bunch of units over time but went in and out of bankruptcy. I'm not sure whatever happened to that guy. Belz had been picking them up for cheap if I recall. It's going to take someone to buy all the condos and then they can bulldoze. Of course, the guitar shaped swimming pool likely would go.

I could see it bulldozed and the pool filled in and a couple of reconstructed grand homes built for restaurants, coffee shops, casual dining, or whatever. Return a bit of quaint to the street...which, with all the hotels, office, residential, entertainment in or soon to be in close proximity would really benefit the neighborhood livability factor. A couple of stand alone structures would be nice, but the value of the land just might dictate otherwise. That's almost a shame.

Maybe the old Tavern on the Row building might come back to life eventually, or whatever its latest incarnation was. Tavern was a cool place to hang 20 years ago.

I could see it bulldozed and the pool filled in and a couple of reconstructed grand homes built for restaurants, coffee shops, casual dining, or whatever. Return a bit of quaint to the street...which, with all the hotels, office, residential, entertainment in or soon to be in close proximity would really benefit the neighborhood livability factor. A couple of stand alone structures would be nice, but the value of the land just might dictate otherwise. That's almost a shame.

Maybe the old Tavern on the Row building might come back to life eventually, or whatever its latest incarnation was. Tavern was a cool place to hang 20 years ago.

That old house was supposed to be turned into music publishing offices years ago by the owner, which is a music publishing co. across the street or next door I forget.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived