Great PTL thread

appatone

Directions are easy. Just take the US 21 exit (Carowinds) and follow it south. The main entrance is just about 1.5 miles south of the interchange. Follow the road in and look for the hulking 20 story tower, park the car and go for a walk.

I will warn you, though. It is a scary place and I was nervous several times (and not because I was breaking and entering) running across strange people who live in the complex (homeless folks). I was approached by a young woman willing to provide "services" for a ride to Columbia. I declined.

The bizzare thing is that the Heritage Grand Hotel is actually kept up somewhat. The carpeting had been vaccumed recently and the lights were on. The mall is a different story, as its falling apart. It is the perfect location for a horror movie.

Thanks man! :thumbsup: I've been dying to check this place out every since I moved to the Carolinas. I'm up for a good scare!! :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bizzare thing is that the Heritage Grand Hotel is actually kept up somewhat. The carpeting had been vaccumed recently and the lights were on.

Heritage International Ministries (part of MorningStar Ministries) actually purchased the Heritage Grand Hotel and is in the process of restoring the property. Check out their website for more information, including the official press release about the property purchase:

Heritage International Ministries

Just to confirm what I had mentioned earlier. I flew over the old Heritage USA site today and nothing exist of the waterpark. It has been completely flattened. There is still enough abandoned buildings you could possibly explore though but the waterpark was the funnest.

Back in '99 and/or '00 I was part of a charity bike ride that started/ended in the parking lot of the PTL ruins - it was odd to see all that development out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to drive out there and wander around for a while next time I make a Frugal McDougal's/cheap gas run.

Archived