Where do you grocery shop?

ZachariahDaMan

I was wondering where you guys do your grocery shopping (if it's one of the big chains) at and why. I don't have to grocery shop since I'm a 17 year old but my family does our shopping at Meijer which is the closest and largest grocery store to us. I'm a bagger at Kroger but I don't it too much there. Even though your Kroger card saves you a ton of many, I have compared prices on some things between Kroger and Meijer and have found Meijer to be cheaper.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually stop at the local stop & shop. I hit the "not the best but still a good buy" produce rack first and last to see if anything good is there. I look for squash, peppers, potatoes, broccoli, and bananas. Other fruits or veggies are sometimes there in good condition. I also like that they have fresh rye bread from a local bakery available at the deli.

I shop a few different places, sometimes a small grocery store (where I usually get meat), but usually either a Meijers (large department store), Kroger (large grocery store) or Aldi (generic grocery store, CHEAP but good).

When I lived in the city, I shopped at SuperTarget. But now SuperTarget is 30 miles away, so if I want decent prices I have to shop at Wal-Mart. Brookshire's and Albertson's are just too expensive, and the nearest Kroger to where I live is a store that gets robbed often. No thanks.

They're building a new Target near where I live now, but it's not going to be a SuperTarget. They're leaving an expansion area, though, "just incase." Stupid mistake in a suburban area that's highly underserved in the area of grocery stores!

So to answer your question, right now I guess it's Wally World for me.

I usually go to Stop and Shop just cause I can walk to it. I get my staples there and then I get my meats and vegetable/fruit at this meat market down the street. Lately I've been stopping at this local chain near my work though, Trucchi's. I think they only have three stores and they're really cheap and have a nice bakery.

When I lived in the city, I shopped at SuperTarget. But now SuperTarget is 30 miles away, so if I want decent prices I have to shop at Wal-Mart. Brookshire's and Albertson's are just too expensive, and the nearest Kroger to where I live is a store that gets robbed often. No thanks.

They're building a new Target near where I live now, but it's not going to be a SuperTarget. They're leaving an expansion area, though, "just incase." Stupid mistake in a suburban area that's highly underserved in the area of grocery stores!

So to answer your question, right now I guess it's Wally World for me.

The Kroger I work at gets robbed all the time too. It's in Plymouth which isn't ghetto whatsoever and robberies in the city aren't really that common. But for some reason during the 6 months I've been working there the small bank inside it has gotten robbed around 5 times. Around Christmas someone dressed up as Santa and robbed the bank inside the store and led the police on a chase.

New England grocery stores are kinda weird. We have NONE of those national chains except for a Walmart Supercenter here and there. Regional chains that are big in southern New England include Big Y, Stop & Shop, Shaw's (not really big around here though), Shop Rite, a smaller chain called Better Val-u, and some local and IGA stores. How did New England manage to avoid being over run by the big national chains? We certainly didn't put any economic roadblocks in the way...

New England grocery stores are kinda weird. We have NONE of those national chains except for a Walmart Supercenter here and there. Regional chains that are big in southern New England include Big Y, Stop & Shop, Shaw's (not really big around here though), Shop Rite, a smaller chain called Better Val-u, and some local and IGA stores. How did New England manage to avoid being over run by the big national chains? We certainly didn't put any economic roadblocks in the way...

Stop and Shop isn't national?

I guess we do have a lot of regional chains, those you mentioned and also Dave's Marketplace (6 stores in RI), Trucchi's (3 stores in Southeast Mass), Seabra (Southeast Mass/Bristol County, RI), Price-Rite and now Price Chopper from upstate NY is making it's way east as far as Worcester. Oh, and we used to have Almac's, anybody remember those?

i go to shaws because it's closest even though it's more expensive than stop and shop and their selection sucks and their deli sucks... i'm a rhode islander, i won't go farther than i have to... :D

Yep ... white specs on the cheese that was sliced in advance and sat out all day... The produce was of very poor quality too, but I always thought it might have something to do with the fact that it was a poor neighborhood (valley st, federal hill). The Shop Rite in Norwich, CT is in a somewhat depressed part of town, and has the same issues.

Yep ... white specs on the cheese that was sliced in advance and sat out all day... The produce was of very poor quality too, but I always thought it might have something to do with the fact that it was a poor neighborhood (valley st, federal hill). The Shop Rite in Norwich, CT is in a somewhat depressed part of town, and has the same issues.

i go to the shaws in north providence, not a depressed part of town. the shaws on valley st is actually better, but again, it's not as close. :P

yes, the produce at the north prov shaws sucks too... they just lack the selection that stop and shop has in almost everything (although they have a decent natural foods section, but stop and shop has one now too).

My family usually goes to VG's, which is a local chain. and sometimes we go to Kroger or Meijer sometimes too.

can you call them national chains if they don't exist anywhere in new england (a pretty significant region of the country consisting of 6 states)? :whistling:

Shaws started off as a smaller regional and was bout out by a chain of successors - I know Kroger sold them to Albertsons, which recently got sold to someone. Personally I hate the place, but around here it's pretty hard to avoid.

Once every couple of weeks I will go to WholeFoods (when will they open one in Worcester!?!?!?), then usually Stop and Shop. I usually get fed up with whatever market I am shopping at about once every three trips, so I fluctuate between them, Big Y, and Market Basket. I wish we still had some IGAs around, or how about a A&P? It seems people in New England like the smaller regional stuff, even if it's really just a different name for a national chain.

Am I the only one who likes to check out grocery stores while on vacation to see what they are like in other places?

grocery stores are neat elsewhere...

CVS supposedly was gonna buy albertsons i think... or at least buy some of their stores.

I try to do as much of my grocery shopping as possible at our local organic foods market. They are locally owned, and they try to have health-conscious foods as well as those that are certified as fair trade. If I absolutely cannot find what I need there, then I will go to another local chain grocery store, but definitely NOT a sprawl-mart.

When I lived out in the suburbs I shopped at Farmer Jack and Meijer. Now that I'm living in the city, I shop at the local independently-owned grocery store 3 blocks away. I also go to Eastern Market on occasion so that I can buy fresh produce.

Archived